Players you will tell your kids about.

Remove this Banner Ad

I have seen some greats of my club play.

However the 2 goals Buddy kicked back to back against Essendon last year were stunning.

I may be biased but the 2nd goal was the best I have ever seen.

I will be telling them about the likes of Lockett, Rob Harvey, Spider, Winmar, Burke, Aussie Jones, Lenny Hayes, Brendon Goddard and Nick Riewoldt...

From other sides, of course I'll have to mention the Ablett's, Carey, Hird, Voss, Buckley, Judd, Franklin as well...

Nick 'I see it, but I don't believe it' Davis. Leo 'You're a star' Barry.

More moments than players. But it represents the greatest Swans moment since the 30's. Your club waits more than 70 years to see a premiership - watching your team relocate, win three wooden spoons in front of 5-8k people, hearing the agony and pessimism in the ailing voice of your 89 year old grandfather who has bled red and white since 1922.

****ing magic.

[youtube]lsRE9bMwvd4[/youtube]

Amongst the players I have seen I will probably mention:

Franklin
Judd
Sandilands (for sheer size and the "you think he is big" factor)
Brendan Goddard (for his heroics in the GF1, if the Saints won that game would of been considered legendary)
Jeffery Gartlett

Last one sounds odd, but he does that "WTF just happened" stuff that makes a player memorable.

I haven't had the pleasure of seeing many great players who have gone before, and a lot of current stars are probably going to fade from my mind TBH.

Hird, Ablett, Franklin, Brown, Black, Voss, Buckley, McLeod, Goodes, Cox, Lloyd *breathes* and a bunch of others.

As for individual performance, Sydney just can't get away from Judd, no matter which team he's on....

I already tell my kids about Lockett, D Jarman, M Voss, Brereton, P Matera and Ablett Snr.

From the current crop, I will tell my grand-kids about Franklin, Rioli, Sandilands and Hodge.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Matthews, Brereton, Dunstall, Langford, Ayres, Knights, Mew, Dipper, Jarman, Platten, Tuck...

From other clubs Plugger, GAblett Snr, Hird, Voss, Carey, Buckley, Daics, R. Harvey, Diesel...

With the exception of Mew, all of the above plus Watson, Daniher and Simon Madden.

Geez the 80's had it all.:thumbsu:

James Hird, Mark Mercuri, Dustin Fletcher and Paul Salmon are the ones that spring to mind. From other clubs, probably Judd, Ablett Jnr., and if he keeps going the way he is going, Jake King ;).

From my club:

James Hird (best ever)
Dustin Fletcher (longevity, consistency)
Mark Mercuri (brilliance)
Matthew Lloyd (best goalkicker I have seen)
Michael Long (class)
Jobe Watson (vision)
Michael Hurley (early call I know)

From others:
Nathan Buckley (best kick I have ever seen)
Nick Riewoldt (particularly that mark he took against Sydney at the SCG, best mark I have ever seen)
Chris Judd
Lenny Hayes
Brendan Fevola (Will never forget the day he kicked 9 and beat Essendon off his own boot, one of the only times I have properly acknowledged greatness against my own team)
Wayne Carey
Matthew Richardson (Similar to Fletcher for longevity, creativity and ''wow'' moments)

From my club:

Mr Magic (the original and best) Maurice Rioli
Royce Hart - absolute big game legend
Kevin Bartlett - fantastic player that forced the VFL to change the rules!
Michael Roach - thanks Kelvin Moore for the step ladder; beautiful kick.
Richo for his passion
Dale Weightman - Richmond personified
Michael Mitchell (for goals and marks of the year!)
Those heading for the status today: Jumping Jack/Dusty/Cotch/Lids

From others:

Ablett Snr - Strength, Speed, Skill and Aerial prowess rolled into one: unstoppable
Duck - One man forward line
Hird - could play anywhere: KPF/KPB, on baller, flanker; just a great footy brain
P Matera: could this boy play - wow!
Cuzz: never seen such gut busting running anywhere
R Harvey: carried St Kilda for ever and almost approached Cuzz for that gut running
Lockett: goal kicking machine and man mountain
Judd: freakishly single minded about getting the ball and get it he does!
Franklin: Unbelievable ability on the ground for a big man (panther like) and the best field kick for a man of his size I have seen.
Voss/Aker/Black
Daicos: the impossible goal expert!

Jeffery Gartlett

Last one sounds odd, but he does that "WTF just happened" stuff that makes a player memorable.

Same. The time he was run down by Fletch a few weeks ago will be part of the highlights reel I get out when I'm telling my kids about how awesome Fletcher was.

It was certainly one of those 'WTF just happened' moments that I'll always remember. :D

Hird, Fletcher & Lloyd particularly from Essendon. Oh and Courtney Johns too. :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Players you will tell your kids about.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back