Please Rate Hawthorn's 2019 Season.

How would you rate Hawthorn's 2019 season out of 10?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

For those interested, form against Top 8 finishing sides - last year vs this year:

YearTeamPlayedWinLossDrawPercentageForAgainst
2018​
Hawks
9​
5​
4​
0​
110.46%​
792​
717​
2019​
Hawks
12​
7​
5​
0​
100.65%​
923​
917​

9/18 I spose. Seriously though it was great to see some consistency through the back half of the year, not only week to week but during games also. The continued rise of worps and the introduction/emergence of other young players was also exciting. 7/10

Overall 7/10.

Finished 9th without Titch, and with a top 4 fixture, beating Geelong, Collingwood, West Coast, GWS twice.

Pros:
-Worpel massive improvements
-TOB coming of age
-Mitch Lewis our new Full Forward
-Impey breakout year
-Henderson great season
-Wingard's red-hot end to the year
-Senior games into young players like Moore, Hanrahan, Nash, Howe, Cousins, CJ, Glass, Pitto, Scrimshaw
-Strong seasons from veterans like Frawley, Burgoyne, Breust, Macca, Shiels
-Generally being able to match it with the best teams in the comp
-Ceglar career best form
-Getting Scully/Scrimma to the club on the cheap

Cons:
-Bad melbourne fixturing
-Tom Mitchell Broken leg
-Jarman Impey ACL
-inconsistencies and losing very winnable games, especially to worse opposition.
-Harry Jones PCL
-Ross/Walker/Jones not being able to crack a debut game just yet.

One of many things I love about this magnificent club is that even when we have a down year, we still finish up as winners. Last year we won a Charlie and two other of our teams won flags. This year, we missed finals but the last 2 rounds were simply sensational: Roughy's last game was an absolute treat and then we smashed the reining premiers in Perth, arguably the toughest away game in the league.
This will be as low as we go, this is us 'bottoming out', mark these words.

Voted 8 but want to change it to 9. Stupid thing won't let me.

Found a big marking forward in Lewis.
Found a big marking swingman in O'brien.
Found a speedy, rebounding and line breaking half back in Impey.
Found a medium backman who can stop and create in Scrimshaw.
Found a midfield bull in Worpel.
Found an elite mid/forward in Wingard.
Found an A grade wingman in Scully.
Found out we can survive without Tom Mitchell.

By my reckoning we are 7 pieces closer to solving the next premiership puzzle than we were 12 months ago.

Has to be 10 simply because of the Round 23 victory over the Eagles by you magnificent bastards.
Will go down in history.
If we pinch the flag there needs to be an asterix in the record book saying "Courtesy of Hawthorn."
Alternatively if you choke to Richmond in the GF after being 5 goals up the record book should state "Laughs made possible by Hawthorn."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has to be 10 simply because of the Round 23 victory over the Eagles by you magnificent bastards.
Will go down in history.
If we pinch the flag there needs to be an asterix in the record book saying "Courtesy of Hawthorn."
if only it weren't for the bad losses to the bulldogs, saints, essendon, north melbourne, brisbane, west coast it would be a 10.

In all seriousness, West coast had played 3 average-bad quarters in a row before we played them. We managed to tie them down and repeat the suffocation of their rebound game that Richmond started the week prior.

I think out systematic dominations of West Coast and GWS this year will go a long way for other teams planning to do the same.

9/10.. with our list coming into this season and the wins against top 4-8 teams ending the season with Rougheads form And when Impey went down to injury. I Thought he was our best player this year or close, beautiful overhead mark for his size and his rebounding from oppo kicks in their forward half.

Next year expectations will be huge esp if we get Cogs and Patton and another elite key pos player too cough cough, if we somehow get another great midfielder (joining cogs as new recruit) and one of our key forwards goes nuts and is challenging for the Coleman next year, hope o.b turns it on next year, or even better, he and Mitch Lewis create a powerful tall forward combo like Kennedy and darling (I wish) n similar to jack roo n Lynch combo will b great, I just reckon we need an elite key back (unless we trade a player who can go both ends of the ground) to keep the dominating forwards from blowing us away as some have done so this year..

Ps. That guy who said burgers form has dropped quite a bit, ur blind

PlEase don’t start harassing me and telling me I don’t know anything, just my 2 cents and my wish list, a man can dream can’t he? Not trying to troll or anything hehe

Last edited:
Pros
Emergence of Worpel, O'Brien, Scrimshaw & Lewis
Form of Sicily, Henderson, Impey & JOM
Addition of Wingard, Scully & Scrimshaw
Latter half of season form

Cons
Impey, Mitchell & Birchall injuries
Decline of Poppy, Roughy & lesser extent Burgoyne
Form of Gunston, Smith, Shiels & Frawley
Stratton captaincy & controversy
Throwing away so many winnable games

Geez, how many times did Frawley get a bag kicked on him? Thought he was pretty good in most games.

6/10 which is the number of wins in the last 10 games, six against top 6 teams five at MCG 2 in tassie

That form carried over puts is top 2 or 4 next year, as long as we progress.

Only brisbane and richmond have consistently beaten us over 2-3 years. Thats also the challenge

Depends whether we are measuring from expectations before the Mitchell injury or after it. If before it’s probably a fail mark, wed have been expecting finals. Post Mitchell I’d give it a 6 though - we did better than I expected after he was lost for the year.

Some young blokes have come on - Worpel looks a genuine star, Lewis is promising. Some guys had very good seasons - Sicily, O’Meara (full season too), Impey

Leadership was disappointing. That second tier from the premiership era - Breust, Gunston, Smith, Stratton - didn’t play to expectations.

Wingard’s season was poor until the last 6 or so weeks but excellent at the end. Scully played earlier than expected and although not starring he could plenty of games in. Next year will be the test for both.

Coaching was very good all year.

I’m optimistic about next season. If we get Coniglio and Mitchell returns, we would be adding two players better than any who played for us this year (and Wingard firing like he did late that should be enough to contend)
Agree with you.

I thought we’d do really well to reach the 8 without Mitchell, and we were a bees dick away. The first three quarters of the season we were depressingly average, and in-game leadership was thin in the ground. Came home with a very wet sail though, and we’ll get our best player back for our next game. With Titch there can be no doubt about how motivated he will be to recover his best form.

I would give us a 6. 5 out of 10.

Overall a wildly incosistent season with some scintillating highs (beating West Coast in Perth and GWS in Canberra) with some rock bottom lows (loosing to North and Essendon).

On the players many had really very good years (Hendo, Sic, Worps, Impey, Frawley, Big Boy) but our senior players (Breust, Gunners, Stratts and to a lesser extent Smith) had average years.

Stratts in particular really struggled for most of the year and I would be suprised if he maintained his captaincy for 2020.

Across the year I think Clarko coached quite well.

Next year with a fit Mitchell, a firing Wingard and hopefully a big name recuit finals are a must.

Oh and for gods sake practise kicking for goal in pre season!!!

7. This time last year there was a feeling we had over achieved and the scoreboard flattered us. Which was true.
We had no roughy replacement in sight, TOB wasn’t going to make it, we weren’t sure about Impey etc.
We’re better placed now, no question.
First half of the season 5, second half 8.
We’re coming. Again.

I was going to go 7 but last night's win pushed it to 8. Some really good wins against quality sides in the back half of the year. Midfield held up better than I thought with Mitchell's injury. Really happy with our trades from last year. Chad's last 6 weeks were great, Scrimshaw looks every bit a 1st round talent, Scully was serviceable, plus I'm pleased we gave some young fellas a run (Lewis,Hanrahan,CJ). Even in the majority of the games we lost we were in the game in the last quarter (even leading some). Very excited for the trade period and 2020 season!
Only a 5.
The rating is for the season not the last bunch of games that were terrific and showed there is something to get very excited about next year.
Making 9th doesn’t rate an 8 or 7.
And yes the progression was certainly there but I just interpreted the question more flatly

For me ... 9/18 (or 5/10) sums it up perfectly. Probably the best team out of the 8 by Rd 23. Clarko predicted that the poor losses early on in the season would cost us. Once again, he was spot on. I also agree that the inconsistency of some of our more reputable players hurt us. When Mitch went down I hoped for some growth & fortunately we had some. Good signs going forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Please Rate Hawthorn's 2019 Season.

Back