Toast Podsiadly

Remove this Banner Ad

To be honest , Id had not thought of that. If it was the case Id say it was clever. I doubt that is the case but I certainly have no way to prove it.

When you see it on the TV it really does look like he's taking as much time as he can to get a little rest and steady before he picks himself up. Plus the little flop gives him a slight chance at milking a 50 metre penalty

The guy's a pure full forward! I love it

I love Pods, I see our guys are firing the ball at him quite a lot even when he's not exactly free. Big trust in his skills and his hands.

I was saying this to my wife yesterday.

There were times when players like boris would come off the back flank, look up see a player and hesitate because it wasn't the correct option. But then it was almost like 'hang on that was pods, he can take this under pressure'

It's a good get out of jail card for us.

To be honest , Id had not thought of that. If it was the case Id say it was clever. I doubt that is the case but I certainly have no way to prove it.

I only saw what you mention once yesterday. I may have missed others.
But on that occasion he certainly seemed to be faking it to have a breather.

I just really hope we sign up to a three year deal soon so that we aviod a Mumford situation where another club signs him up on a contract we can't possiably match due to salary cap pressure

I only saw what you mention once yesterday. I may have missed others.
But on that occasion he certainly seemed to be faking it to have a breather.

I don't mind the the breather observation. Perhaps his last shot yesterday is an example he was quite happy to let himself go to ground. However , he has done it in nearly every game , not every contest but Iv noticed more than once. Sometimes staying with his face down towards the grass and to me it looks more like trying to drag the 50 than getting his breathe back Im not say the hits arn't there just that its not always a great look.

Again , Im being picky. Dont get me wrong , I don't doubt his worth , just like SJ, Dacios and even GA Sr , smart forwards know that there are plenty of times they cop it and get nothing , they also know that they can sometimes maximise a hit to help them. He just needs to be careful. Its sort of like Selwood dropping his legs and getting the around the neck, then commentators kept remarking about how clever he was and before long the little champ gets a lot less of those free's.

I just really hope we sign up to a three year deal soon so that we aviod a Mumford situation where another club signs him up on a contract we can't possiably match due to salary cap pressure

Mate, we could offer him his base as it is now (130k?)
And another club could offer him 400 and he wouldn't go. It is impossible. He's been given a chance at 28 and he must be out on the ground thinking 'my god how good is this team'

He is playing footy in a team that is easily the most elite there has ever been.
Don't forget he's also still employed with the training staff !!

I agree Turbo. Over milking is not a good look.
But I just haven't seen it as much as you have. I don't mind a bit of a milk but if it means you go to ground and can't chase then I hate it.

Don't stress, he's the one player that definitely won't go. He's grateful to us for the opportunity and he's super loved down there, he'll be more than happy to stay. So long as we give him a senior deal (doesn't have to be that much $$$) and promise him he can have his old job back when he retires, which is perfectly fair IMO, he's safe as houses.

Mate, we could offer him his base as it is now (130k?)
And another club could offer him 400 and he wouldn't go. It is impossible. He's been given a chance at 28 and he must be out on the ground thinking 'my god how good is this team'

He is playing footy in a team that is easily the most elite there has ever been.
Don't forget he's also still employed with the training staff !!

Just as a random fact, his base is 49k. I was telling melbourne guys on the train that even with match payments, the max he can earn is about 120k this year. Talk about us getting much bang for very little buck :thumbsu:

Like Hawkins role pinch hitting in the ruck, but 4 goals the way he did it up forward makes me think his role is also as a power forward.

The Pods, just great and Mooney completes the threesome.

Leigh Matthews has written a great article about Pods:

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/geelongnews/newsarticle/tabid/3933/newsid/95357/default.aspx

I agree with a lot of what he says, obviously as most of us would.

It's interesting when he talks about Pods' ability to get up the ground so others can play full forward too. Obviously I notice his marks and skills and so on, but it's not until I go home and check the stats that I see how many inside 50's he's having (6 contested marks and 5 inside 50's yesterday). I think this is good because it shows a) he is fit and mobile and he can get up the ground but particularly b) we're not becoming so Pods-centric in terms of our structure and delivery and so on, so he's fitting in with the existing structure and it's not in any way stuffing up the dynamic of the forward line (which was probably my only concern about him coming into the side), so that's great. :thumbsu:

I heard Pods say on Before the Game last week that he only started playing footy at the age of 17. Does anyone know what sport he played before then?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

An interesting snippet seen today regarding SuperCoach pricing:

At the conclusion of round 10, 2010, James Podsiadly is worth over $50,000 more than Jonathan Brown: Pods sits at $460,200 (from $83,400) and Brown at $409,000 (from $525,240). Obviously these prices fluctuate, and Brown has been down on form recently and won't be down forever - but I just thought it was a nice way to illustrate Podsiadly's impact so far this year.

Not comparing Podsiadly to Brown though, I love him but he's not quite there yet! ;)

Can't believe I'm the first to bump the Pods toast tonight!

Another bag and this time not at KP! But more than the goals, I love his presence around the ground and defensive pressure.

And he wasn't 100% fit tonight either. What a gun. The week off will be good for him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Podsiadly

Remove this Banner Ad

Back