Delidio said:
Reported on ten news about a possible trade
FREMANTLE: GAIN- Tarrant
LOSE- Polak, Pick 13
COLLINGWOOD: GAIN- Pick 8
LOSE- Tarrant
RICHMOND: GAIN- Polak, Pick 13
LOSE- Pick 8

I think Richmond do well, getting Polak for downgrading their first-rounder five spots. Plus, Greg Swann has gone on the record saying that we want a first-rounder and a player. Tarrant's under contract and we're happy to keep him, so it has to be an offer too good to refuse. It seems like, in their minds, #8 by itself doesn't cut the mustard.

Delidio said:
LOSE- Polak, Pick 13
LOSE- Tarrant
LOSE- Pick 8
Not bad, wouldn't mind something else to sweeten the deal.

Wahat a joke. Don't think they can be srious. Polak for basically nothing. Surely Tigers should not expect that. Pies are the ones that should have the say not Tigers. Pies have said from start first round and player.

altonapiefan said:
Wahat a joke. Don't think they can be srious. Polak for basically nothing. Surely Tigers should not expect that. Pies are the ones that should have the say not Tigers. Pies have said from start first round and player.
i thought they said first rd pick and a player OR a top 10 pick

altonapiefan said:

If Richmond took a Cloke off your hands would you be happier about it? :rolleyes:

Deal seems alright to me. Dockers are getting robbed if anyone is.

Palmer Stoat said:
I think Richmond do well, getting Polak for downgrading their first-rounder five spots. Plus, Greg Swann has gone on the record saying that we want a first-rounder and a player. Tarrant's under contract and we're happy to keep him, so it has to be an offer too good to refuse. It seems like, in their minds, #8 by itself doesn't cut the mustard.
When?

What did he exactly say?

you idiot sheehan said:
It wouldn't be done like that. It would be:

Trade 1:
Freo trade Pick 13 and Polak to Richmond for Pick 8

Trade 2:
Freo Trade Pick 8 and a player to Collingwood for Tarrant
i think it would just be pick 8

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not going to happen

Polak of interest
5:00:57 PM Mon 9 October, 2006
Paul Gough
Sportal for afl.com.au
Richmond has signalled its interest in Fremantle key position player Graham Polak on the opening day of the AFL's trade week but the Tigers will not be giving up an early round draft pick to secure the versatile 22-year-old.

Polak, who can play both as a key defender and a key forward, has played 73 games since debuting in 2002 but struggled to break into the much-improved Dockers' line-up this year when he managed just 11 games and only one after round 13 when the club's winning streak began.

Fremantle player list manager Steven Icke said several clubs had inquired about Polak's availability on Monday.

"We have had some fruitful discussions but no decisions have been made at this stage," he said.

"They (Richmond) are one of the clubs that have asked about Graham but like I said these were only (preliminary) discussions."

Richmond football operations manager Greg Miller admitted the Tigers faced two major hurdles before they could secure Polak, who would add some much-needed height to the team's small defence.

"We are reasonably (keen on Polak) but we have got budgetary constraints," Miller said.

"We have to clear someone out to be able to afford him so there is that issue (as well as coming up with a suitable trade deal for the Dockers)."

Miller said the Tigers would "definitely not" be giving up an early round draft pick for Polak.

"We are not interested in losing any of our choices in the draft and as I said there is also our financial constraints as well so we have take that into consideration as well," he said.

The Tigers' veteran administrator said he would be surprised if many clubs would be willing to give up early draft picks this year, such was the strength of the 2006 crop of draftees.

"The whole (first) day (of trading) was pretty quiet which just shows the depth of this draft," he said.

"Most clubs are talking about keeping their draft choices and I can understand why."

afl.com.au

close thread

Delidio said:
LOSE- Polak, Pick 13
LOSE- Tarrant
LOSE- Pick 8

Yeah thats what Greg Miller would like.

If Collingwood only got pick 8 for Tarrant i would be gutted.

jlc

you idiot sheehan said:
It wouldn't be done like that. It would be:

Trade 1:
Freo trade Pick 13 and Polak to Richmond for Pick 8

Trade 2:
Freo Trade Pick 8 and a player to Collingwood for Tarrant

Way too much from Freo IMO.

Freo: Polak + another player + 1st rounder for Tarrant (huge loss)
Collingwood: Tarrant for first rounder + another player (fair)
Richmond: Polak basically for nothing - slight downgrade on their first rounder (huge win)

If it went:

Freo: Lose Polak + 1st rounder, gain Tarrant (seems fair)
Pies: Lose Tarrant, gain 1st rounder + player (fair)
Tigers: Lose player, downgrade their first rounder, gain Polak (seems fair)

Than that's a lot more fair IMO. Freo gets the player they want; Pies are compensated with a first rounder + player; Richmond gets a KPP, still keeps a first round draft pick (albeit a lower one), but loses a player to the Pies.

The sticking point would be the player that Richmond would send to the Pies. Tigers wouldn't want to trade anyone of huge value (obviously), Pies wouldn't accept a hack (again, obviously).

I'm worried that we'll pay way over the odds. Our trading since CC has been here has been good. 1st rounder + Polak + another player is a crap load to give up, and would put us back in the 1995-2001 era... :(

I wonder how these get reported, is this a deal a richmond representative came up with. I sure hope it is not a freo suggestion.

Definitely favours richmond in that they get a decent tall by shifting a pick 5 spots back.

you idiot sheehan said:
Punt Road Roar, PLEASE read the thread. You wouldn't be "giving up" a first round pick. Pick 8 downgraded to Pick 13 for Polak is literally like getting Polak for a 4th or 5th round pick.

Hypothetically, would you take Sellwood, Thorp, Sellar or Reiwoldt, or would you take Polak and Proud, Reid or Jetta?

It's not that easy when you look at all the ramifications. Polak comes with much more risk than Sellwood, Thorp, Sellar or Reiwoldt.

I would keep pick 8.

sput1956 said:
Hypothetically, would you take Sellwood, Thorp, Sellar or Reiwoldt, or would you take Polak and Proud, Reid or Jetta?

It's not that easy, when you look at all the ramifications. Polak comes with much more risk than Sellwood, Thorp, Sellar or Reiwoldt.

I would keep pick 8.

Exactly, and I think without any doubt we will be keeping pick 8.

Remove this Banner Ad

Polak, Tarrant, Pick 8, Pick 13

Remove this Banner Ad

Back