Polak, Tarrant, Pick 8, Pick 13

Remove this Banner Ad

Dazman said:
I reckon it would be pick 8 + a player or second rounder coming from Richmond. It isn't fair that they get Polak and only give up 5 spots in the 1st round.

SO

Collingwood
Lose: Tarrant
Gain: Pick 8 + (2nd rounder or player)*

Fremantle
Lose: Polak + pick 13
Gain: Tarrant

Richmond
Lose: Pick 8 + 26
Gain: Polak + pick 13

*Who would the player be? We're after yound mids. Wouldn't mind Tuck but that'd be too much for Richmond to pay. Maybe Polo. Not too sure, I haven't seen alot of Richmond games. Maybe we'd just take the pick.

Great deal for C'wood ...Tiges and Dockers get screwed.

Schammer stays also - midfielders we can not afford to hand over.

94_Eagles said:
Why the hell do Freo need Tarrant? They already have a wealth of KPP, just develop them first.

We're in a really good position to win the premiership in 2007 or 08. We want a player who could do something NOW, not develop a youngster who would take a season or 2 to peak. Tarrant is a proven, talented player who just needs to find his form. A move West may help him find that form. Many players who are in bad form move interstate and become brilliant players. Tarrant should become one of those players.

Just imagine Freos Forward line with Tarrant in it. Pavlich leading up the ground from CHF. Tarrant and developing youngster Murphy roaming around in the 50, Farmer ready pounce, and the two ruckman, Sandilands and Longmuir alternating from Ruck to Forward, it would become on of the most dangerous forward lines in the league. Tarrant would be doing less that what he was forced to do at Collingwood, as he has extra support than what Collingwood is offering him.

Dazman said:
I reckon it would be pick 8 + a player or second rounder coming from Richmond. It isn't fair that they get Polak and only give up 5 spots in the 1st round.

SO

Collingwood

Fremantle

Richmond

*Who would the player be? We're after yound mids. Wouldn't mind Tuck but that'd be too much for Richmond to pay. Maybe Polo. Not too sure, I haven't seen alot of Richmond games. Maybe we'd just take the pick.

Are u flipping serious OMG are u planning on throwing bucks in a time machine bak to 21 and then on trading him with Tarrant??

OMG I cant believe how collingwood overrate Tarrant

Pik 8 AND an 2nd round in the SUPADRAFT

Nathan brown got traded for pik 6 and 20 (in an average draft) and he is a fkin absolute GUN top 20 player in the comp

Tarrant is a spud HFF who is a passenger and hasnt ahd a good year since 2003. stupid stupid thinking that.

Dazman said:

Polo would be rated a lot higher than Tuck. I wouldnt even consider him on his own for Polak.

Dazman said:

SO

Collingwood

Fremantle

Richmond

:rolleyes:

So losing 5 spots in the first round plus a second round pick for a fringe player on two strikes is fair is it :thumbsdown:. If the Pies want more then get it off Freo.

And Polo finished 9th in our B&F and won the most improved award. He ain't going anywhere.

Brian Fontana said:

Nathan brown got traded for pik 6 and 20 (in an average draft) and he is a fkin absolute GUN top 20 player in the comp

Tarrant is a spud HFF who is a passenger and hasnt ahd a good year since 2003. stupid stupid thinking that.

Well said.

There are some seriously deluded Pie supporters in this thread.

holybishop said:
We're in a really good position to win the premiership in 2007 or 08. We want a player who could do something NOW, not develop a youngster who would take a season or 2 to peak. Tarrant is a proven, talented player who just needs to find his form. A move West may help him find that form. Many players who are in bad form move interstate and become brilliant players. Tarrant should become one of those players.

Just imagine Freos Forward line with Tarrant in it. Pavlich leading up the ground from CHF. Tarrant and developing youngster Murphy roaming around in the 50, Farmer ready pounce, and the two ruckman, Sandilands and Longmuir alternating from Ruck to Forward, it would become on of the most dangerous forward lines in the league. Tarrant would be doing less that what he was forced to do at Collingwood, as he has extra support than what Collingwood is offering him.

How about a key defender and some midfield depth before we buy competition for Murphy's development at an over the top price.

I'd take Tarrant but I am not prepared to pay what C'wood think he is worth.

Dazman said:

SO

Collingwood

Fremantle

Richmond

I understand that all supporters want to talk their players up come draft time but wtf mate, do you really think Richmond and Freo are that ****ing stupid? Tarrant would be worth an early second round pick this year. Which imo would be equivalent to a late 1st round in an average year. Tarrant has a lot of baggage and has done **** all this year. Polak has also done nothing this year aswell and is definately not worth pick 8 and pick 26 even if we do get pick 13.

Someone always picks a smokey in the first few pick which means one of:
Bryce Gibbs Scott Gumbleton Lachlan Hansen Mitchell Thorp Joel Selwood Matthew Leuenberger James Sellar Leroy Jetta Albert Proud Jack Riewoldt etc etc. will be available at pick 8. The chances of them being around at pick 13 are minimal.

Keep dreaming mate, and no I don't mean about Eddie's small penis.

mighty tiges said:
Well said.

There are some seriously deluded Pie supporters in this thread.

What's wrong with trying to get the best possible deal?

Kevin Sheedy has stated that he wants a 1st round pick for Jason Johnson and no one has said anything. We have the upper hand here and it's up to other clubs to satisfy our needs.

Tas said:
Pick 8 this year should get you a very good player, I wouldn't want to part with it. Should still get a good player with 13 but there are some very good players that will be available at #8...
Any of them going to get you 270 odd possessions, 150 odd marks and 30 odd goals in 20 games in a poor, highly criticised year while under an injury cloud at a time you are a top 4 side trying to go that step further? Very, very unlikely! What did you guys pay for Thompson again? He’ll be 29 by the start of next season. He has been widely praised for fewer possessions, similar marks and 18 more goals in 2 more games.

chööö said:
I understand that all supporters want to talk their players up come draft time but wtf mate, do you really think Richmond and Freo are that ****ing stupid? Tarrant would be worth an early second round pick this year. Which imo would be equivalent to a late 1st round in an average year. Tarrant has a lot of baggage and has done **** all this year. Polak has also done nothing this year aswell and is definately not worth pick 8 and pick 26 even if we do get pick 13.

Someone always picks a smokey in the first few pick which means one of:
Bryce Gibbs Scott Gumbleton Lachlan Hansen Mitchell Thorp Joel Selwood Matthew Leuenberger James Sellar Leroy Jetta Albert Proud Jack Riewoldt etc etc. will be available at pick 8. The chances of them being around at pick 13 are minimal.

Keep dreaming mate, and no I don't mean about Eddie's small penis.

Some of the things that get said about Tarrant are just absurd. Really. I'm not a Chris Tarrant cheerleader. Quite frankly, I wouldn't be sad to see him go, provided we got a fair price for him. But you say that Tarrant's worth a late first-round pick in an average year? That's crap.

This draft may well be very good, the best since 2001 (blah blah blah) as everyone is claiming, but as a point of comparison, here's the top 20 from the 2001 'superdraft':

1. Hodge
2. Ball
3. Judd
4. Polak
5. X Clarke
6. Sampi
7. Hale
8. Bartel
9. Molan
10. S Power
11 Cole
12 Reilly
13 Dal Santo
14 Watson
15 Brooks
16 Ladson
17 Kelly
18 S Harvey
19 Gram
20 Elstone

How many of those players -- in what people, recruiters included, say is the best draft in recent years -- are better than Tarrant? FFS, there are several out-and-out duds in the top 20. And about six of the top 10 have hardly set the world on fire. IMO there are only four players on this list who are better than Tarrant: Hodge, Ball, Judd, and Dal Santo -- and three of them went in the first three picks!

People are gonna talk up this draft no matter what. They're also gonna bag Tarrant no matter what. But before you start spouting **** about how Tarrant is worth a late first-rounder in an average year, just remember how many players from the last 'superdraft' came good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

you idiot sheehan said:
Yes but 2001 was dubbed 'super' because of the so called quality of the top 5 to 10. This year's draft is 'super' because top 20 are supposedly top 10 quality in other drafts.

I'm pretty sceptical about claims like that. Fact is, this draft has been so hyped it can't possibly live up to many people's expectations.

And anyway, look at the quality of the top 10 in the 2001 superdraft. Take away the top three, and it's nothing to get overly excited about. The way some people on this forum talk, you'd think that a first-round pick in the upcoming draft will guarantee you a very good player, and that's just rubbish. No draft in history has even gone close to doing that. None.

So people need to keep that in mind when they're talking **** about what Tarrant is worth. Whatever his faults may be, he's 25 years old, played 160 games, and kicked nearly 300 goals. Whoever he plays for next year knows that they will get a player who will play AFL footy at least at a good level and, at his best, an occasionally match-winning level. In contrast, history tells you that there will be several highly rated draftees who'll struggle to play even a dozen games, and that there'll be several other highly rated draftees who will go on to have relatively undistinguished careers.

Palmer Stoat said:
Good stuff about the draft

Agree completely Mr Stoat. But I think it is natural for fans to rate draftees so highly, we all want to be involved with the development of a star etc and we tend to ignore the failure stories. The comments regarding Tarrant, and Polak too, are way harsh given they have actually played at the highest level.

Fortunately, Coaches look at it a different way. They have to get a performing team out there in a few months.

The thing everyone needs to remember here, is that Freo legitimately feel (and rightfully so) that they can make a premiership assault in the next 1-3 seasons.

The Question that we all need to ask is that is a 17 year old high pick going to help them do that or is Chris Tarrant. People may feel they are over paying but if freo miss the premership boat they are going to have to wait another 7 years. Keep in mind the guns at freo are not getting any younger, ie josh carr, bell, farmer, etc…

Also, as we all know the draft is no certainty, the best example here is Polak and how little he has done for their club… Chris tarrent is a proven AFL footballer I don’t care what anyone says he will really help Freo push for their first flag and would surly be in their best interest to get him.

Slacker said:
Agree completely Mr Stoat. But I think it is natural for fans to rate draftees so highly, we all want to be involved with the development of a star etc and we tend to ignore the failure stories. The comments regarding Tarrant, and Polak too, are way harsh given they have actually played at the highest level.

Yeah, I understand. I'm the same.

Agree with the fact that higher picks won't guarantee you a better player. Every player picked in the draft is a gamble and who knows who will come good from deep in the draft, Andrew Raines comes to mind. But the fact is with a higher pick there is more chance that the/a player you have in your sights and want to take a gamble on will be available to you.

Brian Fontana said:
Are u flipping serious OMG are u planning on throwing bucks in a time machine bak to 21 and then on trading him with Tarrant??

Collingwood are asking for a 1st rounder + a young midfielder. Pick 8 will not suffice and if we are not happy we will keep him. In fact I am very happy to keep him. Would be just as happy to see him go if it brings us some good young talent/picks.

IMO, pick 16 + Matt Rosa is better than pick 8 by itself so if Freo want him, another player/pick needs to come from somewhere. It seems only natural that the player/pick would come from Richmond because it is not fair that they get a decent, young KPP player and all the pay is losing 5 spots in the first round (effectively giving up Riewoldt for Ben Reid). Their sacrifice is not enough. Maybe the pick could be a 3rd rounder instead of 2nd but there needs to be a sweetener.

Brian Fontana said:

Nathan Brown types grow on trees. There are plenty of his type. Tarrant is a KPP that has shown how good he can be and his best is bloody good. KPP are harder to find and because of this demand more. Saying that Brown is a very good HFF/FP so it is fair we get less than the bulldogs got for Brown, but only a little less.

Remove this Banner Ad

Polak, Tarrant, Pick 8, Pick 13

Remove this Banner Ad

Back