• Tristan Xerri

Votes: 98 64.9%
  • Cam Zurhaar

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other (write in replies)

Votes: 2 1.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Realistically I think Larkey as Captain makes sense for a year or two maybe three. It would be ignorant for the club to not have him in by then as he’ll be more than ready, he almost is now anyway.

Him as captain is inevitable, but who fills that gap in the interim nobody stands out strongly, and Larks at least is reliable enough as a player.

It cannot be the same as what it is now, it’s just not working. And no co-captains for as long as I live.

Im not a footy historian, and my memory is shit. But has ANYONE ever been traded in and made captain in the same year? (Clubs debut years don't count, thats a completely different concept)

I can't see how it would go down well with a lot of people inside the club.
Judd, and Dawson from Sydney to Adelaide within a year?

Im not a footy historian, and my memory is shit. But has ANYONE ever been traded in and made captain in the same year? (Clubs debut years don't count, thats a completely different concept)

Chris Judd at Carlton

Barry Davis came from Essendon to us and was made captain..

Barrassi went to Carlton from Melbourne but was made Captain and Coach which is slightly different but players would not have been all that happy at him taking both positions..

Sheezel has said he's not ready to be captain so bring in Jack Viney and make him captain with Sheezel VC and in 2-3 years time Viney retires and Sheezel becomes Captain with either of Wardlaw or Xerri VC..

Harry is just being humble, he knows he can do it.

I'd like to see Larkey given the Captaincy with Sheezel and LDU as his Vice Captains and Scott, Xerri and Logue in the leadership group.

I'm not going to use this thread to say what many of us have been saying all year, other than to say I think we all expect (and demand?) a new leadership group for 2025.

Therefore this is a simple exercise; tick the players in the poll you'd like to see in the 2025 leadership group, and then post a comment with who you want as your Captain (or Co-Captains?).

Tbh it is immaterial until they think Sheez is ready for the handover imo

I get what you're saying but it's not immaterial; we are sorely missing leadership and it's apparent on game-day.

It's not just about who has the title (one can be a 'leader' without being the captain, for example). It's about who is setting the standards and who has the respect of the playing group as a reflection of the group itself.

At the moment, that reflection is poor.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd like to see Larkey given the Captaincy with Sheezel and LDU as his Vice Captains and Scott, Xerri and Logue in the leadership group.

Problem with giving it to Larkey is;

He's 26 years old and in 'good' form.

If we all believe and expect Sheezel to get the captaincy within the next 1-3 years, it's really difficult to take it away from Nick Larkey when he should be in his prime.

(I am aware Jy Simpkin will be 27 to start next year so it's kinda the same thing, but his form isn't warranting automatic best 22 selection and we all know it).

I'd be in favour of assigning a traded in senior player as captain given that whoever that might be, they'll be brought in for their leadership qualities and there has to be an expectation that they will act as a leader, deliver as a leader and make on-field decisions as a leader. If that's Viney, Parker or someone else then so be it - they are in the job at North for two years then the captaincy is handed over (to Harry) even if the traded in player stays on for longer.

If that is not done then my vote was with Chom. As CHB or CHF he's in the driver's seat. His lack of games experience is the greatest drawback, but he has the attributes as a player and as a speaker to hold the position. It does create a dilemma for Harry though unless North put in a two season rule.

If we all believe and expect Sheezel to get the captaincy within the next 1-3 years, it's really difficult to take it away from Nick Larkey when he should be in his prime.

(I am aware Jy Simpkin will be 27 to start next year so it's kinda the same thing, but his form isn't warranting automatic best 22 selection and we all know it).
I don't believe, I think we will have Larkey as Captain for 3-4 years before moving to Sheezel.

Immaterial might be a touch strong but I generally agree.

I think we should just make the big balls move and do it now.

He’s made for it.

Xerri (c) Sheezel (vc) for a year then Sheezel captain in perpetuity there on in.

Im thinking similar and I’ve stated so in other threads (the Xerri thread I think).. I’d have Xerri for longer than a year though

A necessity for financial & publicity sake but overall 'official' Captain(s) & Leadership Groups are an overrated wank initiative in the AFL.

They don't work and you don't have to look any further than our own club.

Group settings no matter what that is...schools, work, team sports, social places identify without even realising it who they deem to be the leaders are.

It's no different for footy clubs.

I consider Larks more of an off-field leader vs on-field. He's obviously loved by the boys (similar to Lmac), and should be VC IMO, with Sheeze as the C. Sheeze can lead training standards and on-field, Larks can keep the boys attitudes positive and help Sheeze throughout the week days.

But IMO, this is a stake-in-the-ground moment for the club. Are we going to do something significant to turn this around, or are we going to be timid and take the easy option? I'm sick of bottom two and would like them to go bold here.

Genuinely I would use the captaincy as an option for the right recruit
Viney - looks less likely
Parker - plays ruthlessly

I don’t think its fair to put Sheez in yet and i think any other internal candidates are too tarred by the last 5 years to really change culture

Something that symbolises to the playing group that what we have produced is not good enough to compete in this competition

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis [Poll] 2025 Captain + Leadership Group

Back