• Tristan Xerri

Votes: 98 64.9%
  • Cam Zurhaar

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other (write in replies)

Votes: 2 1.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

If Viney walked through the door tomorrow, then I'd give him the job immediately.

To me he looks like a guy who takes losing personally and would fit perfectly with Harry, X, Chom, George & Arch who also have the same quality. That's a solid core of winners we can build a culture on. Not just for the future, but for now.

He would also bring a bit of gravitas to the role and command respect in the playing group. When he hands the reins over to Harry in 2 years, the transition would be seemless.

Sheezel and larkey co captains
Xerri and LDU VC

maybe you have a 5th to round out a leadership group jy probably that player for 1 more year or a Luke Parker/experienced recruit

Rock bottom …
Can someone with better maths % knowledge than me work out what needs to happen for us to claim another wooden spoon ?
Obviously Richmond need to win & we need to lose . We are 2.7% only ahead of Richmond.
How much does Richmond need to win by ? & we need to lose by ?

Rock bottom …
Can someone with better maths % knowledge than me work out what needs to happen for us to claim another wooden spoon ?
Obviously Richmond need to win & we need to lose . We are 2.7% only ahead of Richmond.
How much does Richmond need to win by ? & we need to lose by ?

The size of defeat we would require will be entirely dependent upon the margin in the Richmond game.

On raw numbers 2.8% of 2380 (our points for) is 67.

I wrote out a bunch of scenarios but the crux of it is, if Richmond win the % drop required for the spoon will be less than a 2.8%.

I think currently given:
  • our lack of personnel through injury
  • our wafer thin depth
  • our form
  • Hawthorn's form
  • our recent history in matches against them

A 67 point or greater loss is more than feasible.

If Richmond win it's my opinion that the spoon will be basically unavoidable.

It is a horrible position to be in.

Last edited:
Who gives a **** about leadership - when most of the side can’t hit a target , pick up the ball cleanly and every basic skill that an u12 can do
why it's important to give a **** about leadership:
good leadership will drive standards ie. training, in term, improving ground ball gets and kicking.

I would like to see Larkey as captain and Simpkin as VC.
Realistically, I think it goes the other way around.

I would go the Under 9s route, and pick a different player to be captain every week. They get to toss the coin, and have a pretty good chance of picking up the free Big Mac voucher that week as well.

Then at the end of the year everyone gets a medal, and the coach gets a voucher for a local RSL meal.

And it’s mum Sheezel’s turn to wash the jumpers.

Or in an ideal world LDU would be up to it. But is he?

Last edited:
Realistically I think Larkey as Captain makes sense for a year or two maybe three. It would be ignorant for the club to not have him in by then as he’ll be more than ready, he almost is now anyway.

Him as captain is inevitable, but who fills that gap in the interim nobody stands out strongly, and Larks at least is reliable enough as a player.

It cannot be the same as what it is now, it’s just not working. And no co-captains for as long as I live.
I like how Larkey speaks and presents himself publicly, however if he is not playing well or getting beaten he has no way to impact the game and lead by example. I think you need a leader who can impact the game when things aren't going well. They can drop behind the ball and support the defence or get their hands dirty in the contest or burn opponents off with their speed. If things are going badly and you are sitting at full forward with your hands on your hips there's not much you can do.

Also, our team is not the best for forward entries and years of Larks lambasting them during the game has not improved that. That shit should be sorted out on the training track.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A necessity for financial & publicity sake but overall 'official' Captain(s) & Leadership Groups are an overrated wank initiative in the AFL.

They don't work and you don't have to look any further than our own club.

Group settings no matter what that is...schools, work, team sports, social places identify without even realising it who they deem to be the leaders are.

It's no different for footy clubs.
The players voted for LMac and Simpkin

The size of defeat we would require will be entirely dependent upon the margin in the Richmond game.

On raw numbers 2.8% of 2380 (our points for) is 67.

I wrote out a bunch of scenarios but the crux of it is, if Richmond win the % drop required for the spoon will be less than a 2.8%.

I think currently given:
  • our lack of personnel through injury
  • our wafer thin depth
  • our form
  • Hawthorn's form
  • our recent history in matches against them

A 67 point or greater loss is more than feasible.

If Richmond win it's my opinion that the spoon will be basically unavoidable.

It is a horrible position to be in.
Thank you Only ..
Where are your different scenarios?

Thank you Only ..
Where are your different scenarios?
I didn’t post them because cbf.

It boils down to if Richmond win, whatever Hawthorn need to beat us by they will a) know exactly and b) be capable of.

So specifics cease to really matter.

Leadership
We need strong on & off field leadership in 2025. I don’t see that we have this within our current list, nor are we likely to get this via the upcoming draft or trade. Therefore, I suggest that the Club needs to focus on building it from within.

Good leaders in the AFL usually have a solid experience and success as players, and from this, start with the respect of the playing group. In the early 70s we brought in Barry Davis from Essendon, Doug Wade from Geelong, John Rantall from South Melbourne, and Barry Cable from Perth. All quality footballers plus great leaders.

While some people appear to have leadership in their DNA or from their upbringing others learn to be leaders. I suggest that the Club identify a group who have leadership potential and seek to develop this over the pre-season and season via a mentoring program with former players who have leadership skills in an AFL environment.

The Captain and V/Captain need to have strong leadership qualities but a team needs a couple more.

Who would be the potential candidates? My thoughts, not in any order.

Jackson Archer Too early
Charlie Comben Too early
LDU Potential, but not Captain in 25
Nick Larkey Possible, but would need some solid tutoring
Griffin Logue Possible
Bailey Scott Unsure
Harry Sheezel Potential, but not Captain or VC in 25
Jy Simpkin Potential, but not Captain or VC in 25
George Wardlaw Too early
Tristan Xerri Possible, but would need some solid tutoring.

Just my thoughts.

From a distance, it’s hard to identify who out of a young group would thrive under the captaincy. I get a sense that even for allowing for having such a young list, there doesn’t appear to be much maturity in the group.
What isn’t working is what we have now. So turn it on its head and start again. Importing some experienced heads who still have a few years of good footy in them is one idea I’d be comfortable with.
Clarkson obviously thinking the same with his recent comments.

I didn’t post them because cbf.

It boils down to if Richmond win, whatever Hawthorn need to beat us by they will a) know exactly and b) be capable of.

So specifics cease to really matter.
So if Richmond win which I really think they will, out will come out the calculators ….

From a distance, it’s hard to identify who out of a young group would thrive under the captaincy. I get a sense that even for allowing for having such a young list, there doesn’t appear to be much maturity in the group.
What isn’t working is what we have now. So turn it on its head and start again. Importing some experienced heads who still have a few years of good footy in them is one idea I’d be comfortable with.
Clarkson obviously thinking the same with his recent comments.

Sheezel is the prototype modern day captain, just don’t know if it’d be fair to put that weight on him yet…though the kids a unicorn so who knows..

So if Richmond win which I really think they will, out will come out the calculators ….
You won’t need a calculator the commentary will tell you about a million times exactly what is required.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis [Poll] 2025 Captain + Leadership Group

Back