Strategy POLL: Who would you take at pick 6 in the 2013 draft?

Who would you take at pick 6 in the 2013 draft?

• Bontempelli

Votes: 62 18.9%
  • Kelly

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Billings

Votes: 10 3.0%
  • Kolodjashnij

Votes: 14 4.3%
  • Aish

Votes: 74 22.6%
  • Scharenberg

Votes: 92 28.0%
  • McDonald

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Freeman

Votes: 6 1.8%
  • Lennon

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Sheed

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • Salem

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • Crouch

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • McCarthy

• Gardiner

• Taylor

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • Acres

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • Hartung

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Dunstan

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Battersby

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Other player not mentioned in poll

Votes: 8 2.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

va3ypary.jpg
Christmas came early!

I'm on the Aish bandwagon.

People are trying to find reasons as to why he will fail at the elite level. 'He is too small, he won't put on any size, too outside, the next Xavier Ellis' etc etc when he is clearly the standout midfielder of this draft, look at his CV, no comes close to what he's done so far. He is an elite player and from the outside he looks like he has the right attitude and commitment to excel in the AFL.

Get him into our development system and he will be an absolute superstar in 4-5 years time.
If you look through his sanfl games he is far too inconsistent. Which is common in outside players. He is not a key component of a premiership team, which is who you take when you have the luxury of pick 6.

It simply has to be scharenberg. A backline architect oozing class, leadership and courage. Not to mention he has a clement like kick and is as evasive as Birchall.

I would be disappointed if we picke aish at 6 over sberg. At 10, no worries, but 6 has to be for that special player and Aish isn't that special.

One of the scenarios that Emma Quayle has thrown up is Salem at 6 and Freeman at 9.

Would be mildly disappointed with that combo if it comes with Aish or Scharenberg available at either pick, eg Salem ahead of Aish at 6. I'll back the judgement of our recruiters all the way, I just won't be hollering the way I was when we landed Grundy last year!

I've been reading all these phantom drafts and the rest of the coverage closely and the fact that picks 4,6,7,9 and 10 are so hard to predict reinforces the notion that our club was right to work towards getting two top 10 picks. The likelihood of gaining quality with our first two picks is higher as the decisions of other clubs are less likely to leave us with scraps - we're going to be feasting tomorrow.

Twomey/Quayle/Anderson all have Scharenberg coming to Collingwood with pick 6. :thumbsu:

Quayle and Anderson have Salem coming with pick 10.

Twomey has Freeman coming.

I consider a Scharenberg/Salem/Conlon draft a very, very good draft.

WET!!!IM SO WET!!!WET!!!IM SO WET!!!WET!!!IM SO WET!!!

Sorry did you say you were dry?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scharenberg reminds me more of a tall Shaw than a Clement.

Scharenberg mirrors Clements intercept marking style, he is a similar height and has a nice crisp kick on him. I'd say he has more similar traits stylistically to Clement than Heath. Comparing styles of footballers is always an inexact science anyway.

You know, if we kept picks 10 & 11, we'd probably still end up with Aish & McCarthy/Lennon/Freeman etc.
Boyd, Kelly, Billings, Bontempelli, KK, Sheed, Scharenberg, McDonald, Salem, Pies10, Pies11. Plus we'd have pick 31 instead of 65.

So in the worst case scenario (which I'm guessing is the removal of the sesamoid bones) what are the short and long term prognoses?
Yes, excision of the sesamoids would be an absolute worst-case, and even then hasn't been shown to be very successful. If it came to that (and we don't even know if he's fractured, but if they're mentioning "stress reactions" then most likely not) it would mean he probably wouldn't be a candidate for senior games in the first half of the year. Insertion of screws to help the fractures unite would be looked at first, even though these bones are about the size of peas.

It sounds like he's currently trying to rest his feet, and I'd venture he'd be looking at cortisone and electrotherapy. Maybe he'll be getting around in "moon boots" for a few weeks. Best case scenario, he could have a modified preseason and be ready for round 1.

Very unlikely mate, because someone will be making a significant investment in him and he'll get appropriate advice. :)

As long as he takes it. Do we know if he's a surfer?;)

I don't know about that.

#21 – NATHAN FREEMAN
Height: 184cm, Weight: 85kg, DOB: 16/6/1995
Recruited from: Sandringham Dragons

I’m a tiny bit shocked at the top ten talk because I feel like I’ve missed something. Freeman’s always been around this range for me and nothing’s really changed. He’s hardly busted a game open and with his size and aerobic ability, you’d think he would’ve ran rings around the TAC competition this year, but he just didn’t. You want to see more if you want to spend a first round draft pick on him to be honest.

Football-wise, Freeman’s strength lies in his line-breaking ability and breaking away from stoppages using his obvious pace. I think his clearance ability is overstated and the comparisons to Dangerfield are utterly crazy. They’re completely different types of players. Freeman isn’t a ‘bash and crash’ midfielder (which I find odd and will explain later), he tends to lurk around the contest and receive the handball instead, which is fine with his pace, but he’s got the body to make an impact in there and I’m not sure why he doesn’t.

I’ll bring up his inside game again because it just confuses me. I’m not sure if he’s told to hang around the packs but whatever it is I don’t think it is the right move. He’s a big kid that has enormous power through the hips. He should be getting in there and coming out with it and then dishing it off to a better ball user in space. I think his role is a bit backwards because I don’t think his disposal is quite good enough to be playing the outside role.

I think the thing with Freeman, Bonters, Acres types is not just assessing their football ability but their athletic attributes and potential to mould / develop them.

Therein lies the biggest difference between us BF posters (excited about attributes / potential) and the recruiters (assessing likelihood of fulfilling potential). Can some things be taught or are they inate? How intelligent is the player? How driven are they?

Is also the difference between me being happy with whoever we get (Hine & team should do well with 2 top 10s) vs being happier if we get two of Scharenberg, Bonters, Acres, KK, McCarthy, Freeman, Lennon because then it's not just potential I see in them but someone the club rates.

Yeah, but Scharenberg also isn't a nutcase like Shaw, and when you have a tall Shaw with his head screwed on right... isn't that basically Jimmy Clement?
Scharenberg mirrors Clements intercept marking style, he is a similar height and has a nice crisp kick on him. I'd say he has more similar traits stylistically to Clement than Heath. Comparing styles of footballers is always an inexact science anyway.

Absolutely - I am splitting hairs, but for the sake of the discussion, I don't see that Sharenberg will be able to shut down a KPF as well as Clement could... Clement could take any tall player that we came up against, I don't know if Scharenberg can do that.

Also, I think Clement was super outstanding at the defensive aspects of his role, and only very very good at the offensive aspects. I think Shaw (and Scharenberg) are the opposite, with their offensive play being slightly ahead of their defensive play... And Clement's footskills were exceptional, whereas Shaw's (and Sharen's) are probably just very good...

And as a final point, I should disclose that I have seen none of Scharenberg outside the 3 minute highlight clip, so feel free to ignore me. I am almost certainly overanalysing...

You know, if we kept picks 10 & 11, we'd probably still end up with Aish & McCarthy/Lennon/Freeman etc.
Boyd, Kelly, Billings, Bontempelli, KK, Sheed, Scharenberg, McDonald, Salem, Pies10, Pies11. Plus we'd have pick 31 instead of 65.

I agree to some extent, but we're assuming Hine and Rendell would be happy with whatever combo of top 10 talent is left. As an outsider I'm happy that we will be assured of getting two players with plenty of potential (as per my post above), but it may be that Dekka has someone specific in mind that his info tells him he will get at 6 but not 10/11. For example he may be super keen on Salem and knows that Melbourne want him at 9.

In other words, we're all just guessing really. ;)

It's
Absolutely - I am splitting hairs, but for the sake of the discussion, I don't see that Sharenberg will be able to shut down a KPF as well as Clement could... Clement could take any tall player that we came up against, I don't know if Scharenberg can do that.

Also, I think Clement was super outstanding at the defensive aspects of his role, and only very very good at the offensive aspects. I think Shaw (and Scharenberg) are the opposite, with their offensive play being slightly ahead of their defensive play... And Clement's footskills were exceptional, whereas Shaw's (and Sharen's) are probably just very good...

And as a final point, I should disclose that I have seen none of Scharenberg outside the 3 minute highlight clip, so feel free to ignore me. I am almost certainly overanalysing...

It's pretty tempting to try and pigeonhole players by comparing them to previous players. Sometimes you can do that... For example a tall, physical, lockdown KPD is going to play a lot like other similar players. That medium/above average sized back flanker is really hard to nail down though... Each player seems to approach it just a little differently. For example, Shaw and Maxwell have some very different attributes and, as you say, Clement was a different beast again. Able to play any spot in the backline. What a brilliant player he was, you're making me miss him! Anyway, my two cents is that the Berg may end up a bit of a hybrid of Shaw and Clement, with excellent run and carry like Shaw, but able to play on slightly more physical types than Heater could.

Would be bloody happy with that result!

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy POLL: Who would you take at pick 6 in the 2013 draft?

Back