C: P.BURGOYNE D.CASSISI S.BURGOYNE

HF: R.GRAY* W.TREDREA (c) J.WESTHOFF*

FF: C.WINGARD* J.SCHULZ* D.MOTLOP

RR: M.PRIMUS (vc) K.CORNES* T.BOAK*

INT: B.LADE N.STEVENS J.CARR A.CARLILE*

COACH: MARK WILLIAMS

thoughts?

no Dew?? Pickett??

HAHAHA T Chaplin is he farkin serious jane should be no where near any of our best teams

Seriously, Chaplin was not the worst defender we ever had. Myself, I would have put Paxman and Bishop before him but to listen to some people on this board both he and Mark Williams knew nothing about football. I have heard it said he gave away 3 or 4 goals a game. Do you think Mark Williams would allow someone who did that to be continually selected? He was blamed for a lot of goals he had no chance of stopping or even responsibility for. There were some direct turnovers from his kicks but that happens. And seems to when the whole teams going through a bad patch, which 2011/2012 certainly was.
Similarly he got the same at the ground. There were occasions when the opposition would sweep the ball away from the centre bounce and get it to the full forward, who Chaplin was not even standing, and suddenly it was all his fault that a goal was scored against us. He was actually quite good for us for a long period early in his career. He was taken apart by his opponent in the 2007 GF but who wasn't. If Mark Williams hadn't tried to make him into something he wasn't, a sweeping defender, we could have had something there. A few "un-Port-like" incidents such as his drawing out of a tackle on Luke Power and finally his departure and comments didn't endear him.
I would have liked to have seen what Ken Hinkley could have made of him, as if we could have had Trengove helping out Lobbe just a bit and releasing Westhoff more to the forwards that could have been the difference between losing the PF by 3 points and making the GF.

But to get back to the choice of defender. Yes, I think Paxman. Kingsley was always a bit to much deer-in-the-headlights to be a deep defender. Possibly he could be placed on Wanganeen's HBF, Wanganeen in the forward pocket and Motlop on the bench. Carlile would be omitted.

Last edited:
Seriously, Chaplin was not the worst defender we ever had. Myself, I would have put Paxman and Bishop before him but to listen to some people on this board both he and Mark Williams knew nothing about football. I have heard it said he gave away 3 or 4 goals a game. Do you think Mark Williams would allow someone who did that to be continually selected? He was blamed for a lot of goals he had no chance of stopping or even responsibility for. There were some direct turnovers from his kicks but that happens. And seems to when the whole teams going through a bad patch, which 2011/2012 certainly was.
Similarly he got the same at the ground. There were occasions when the opposition would sweep the ball away from the centre bounce and get it to the full forward, who Chaplin was not even standing, and suddenly it was all his fault that a goal was scored against us. He was actually quite good for us for a long period early in his career. He was taken apart by Steve Johnson in the 2007 GF but who wasn't. If Mark Williams hadn't tried to make him into something he wasn't, a sweeping defender, we could have had something there. A few "un-Port-like" incidents such as his drawing out of a tackle on Luke Power and finally his departure and comments didn't endear him.

But to get back to the choice of defender. Yes, I think Paxman. Kingsley was always a bit to much deer-in-the-headlights to be a deep defender. Possibly he could be placed on Wanganeen's HBF, Wanganeen in the forward pocket and Motlop on the bench. Carlile would be omitted.

Remember that breath-taking first quarter of the Elimination Final, when we all but put the game beyond doubt within 20 minutes? Chaplin could have prevented 3-4 of those goals, but didn't with those spaghetti-arm tackle attempts and going to ground near the goal square.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remember that breath-taking first quarter of the Elimination Final, when we all but put the game beyond doubt within 20 minutes? Chaplin could have prevented 3-4 of those goals, but didn't with those spaghetti-arm tackle attempts and going to ground near the goal square.
There is a huge difference between could and should. Your reaction just serves to prove my point.

Hombsch is already on a whole other level to anything Chaplin ever reached.

Yep.. actually i don't understand why there isn't more hype over Hombsch. He is 21 and has played 24 games, what he did to buddy wasn't just a fluke this kid will be something special.

lol GWS just lol

It was comical how practically every goal in that first quarter avalanche went through him.

The text messages.
"Xavier the Saviour".
The aeroplane.

Got what he deserved.

It was comical how practically every goal in that first quarter avalanche went through him.

The text messages.
"Xavier the Saviour".
The aeroplane.

Got what he deserved.

Hhahaha I loved Ollie's goal in the first quarter

"Wines....Chaplin didn't keep his feet. Wines goals, they've got 6!!! Not 1, not 2,3,4,5. They've got...SIX!" - Bruce :D

1999-2014.

FB: T.CHAPLIN D.WAKELIN M.WILSON

HB: G.WANGANEEN C.CORNES B.MONTGOMERY

C: P.BURGOYNE D.CASSISI S.BURGOYNE

HF: R.GRAY* W.TREDREA (c) J.WESTHOFF*

FF: C.WINGARD* J.SCHULZ* D.MOTLOP

RR: M.PRIMUS (vc) K.CORNES* T.BOAK*

INT: B.LADE N.STEVENS J.CARR A.CARLILE*

COACH: MARK WILLIAMS

thoughts?
I think while some might not like to have said their age in 1997 we should at least say if we were old enough to vote. I was, and Paxman isn't there after which point I lost interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back