2nds Port Adelaide vs Centrals - Round 12 @ Alberton

Remove this Banner Ad

How bad does our depth look. Most of the AFL listed players doing time in the SANFL are late draft picks who have a low ceiling or has-beens. Walsh is the one player here I can see being more than a list clogger. Scully and Visentini in a better environment might do something. I try to get excited by Jackson and Anasta but then realise how low my expectations have dropped.

Soldo, McKenzie, Rioli, Powell-Pepper, Burton, Burgoyne, Ratugolea, Dixon have all been regulars in the AFL team at some stage in the last 12 months and all are unavailable this weekend. So when you watch the AFL team tomorrow you are watching our depth players run around there. So that's 23 tomorrow plus the 8 out. Name me a club that has depth beyond 31 players.

Soldo, McKenzie, Rioli, Powell-Pepper, Burton, Burgoyne, Ratugolea, Dixon have all been regulars in the AFL team at some stage in the last 12 months and all are unavailable this weekend. So when you watch the AFL team tomorrow you are watching our depth players run around there. So that's 23 tomorrow plus the 8 out. Name me a club that has depth beyond 31 players.
Collingwood

Also note if this game was after the AFL game, whoever the sub is + Dylan Williams would be playing SANFL. Also Kyle Marshall out with concussion. So that's 11 players out.

Edit: 12 with Captain Nick Moore out.

Last edited:
Visentini put his hand up.

Frank Evans and McEntee should be judged harshly due to repeated non-performances at AFL level.
Personally I think those stats show exactly the issue with the 2 players. McEntee is a favourite, Evans has far greater ability and potential but isn't the fav. Neither have taken their chances, but sheesh Evans has deserved a far better chance than he's been given in comparison to McEntees golden run.

Also note if this game was after the AFL game, whoever the sub is + Dylan Williams would be playing SANFL. Also Kyle Marshall out with concussion. So that's 11 players out.

Yep, forgot about Williams being travelling emergency.

To be honest, there's basically no point in even playing a reserves game when you've got that many players unavailable and your replacement players are literal amateurs. It's actually a waste of time and offers no opportunity for development. You'd be better off just training.

Personally I think those stats show exactly the issue with the 2 players. McEntee is a favourite, Evans has far greater ability and potential but isn't the fav. Neither have taken their chances, but sheesh Evans has deserved a far better chance than he's been given in comparison to McEntees golden run.
Sad reality is that neither of them are good enough for AFL level. Evans has small forward smarts but is far too slow. McEntee isn't a AFL capable small forward full stop.

Sad reality is that neither of them are good enough for AFL level. Evans has small forward smarts but is far too slow. McEntee isn't a AFL capable small forward full stop.
I agree, and they haven't taken their chances, but with a better run, I think there was a sneaky chance Evans might've become something. He's failed to take the chance though and would have only himself to blame, except for the favouritism he's been sitting behind with McEntee.

McEntee played midfield, so those are midfield stats which are quite average

The leading possession winner in the team got 19. There's no point in judging anyone on performance and especially stats in these games, they are practically a farce.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can remember Rockliff getting almost 50 disposals in the SANFL. Even Sam Gray got heaps when he was dropped.
How far has the standard fallen
Even Sam Gray? Mate, Sammy was a brilliant servant for the magpies well before he got drafted, and any time he got dropped he played his guts out, probably because he came from the Port zones and actually gave a damn.

Some of those kids are alright, but imagine being coached by Hartlett and Hinkley and wondering where the gym is.

I can't judge any of them until we see them under decent stewardship.

Although McCallum has me worried now.
Agree. We cannot judge any players coached by Hinkley or Hartlett. Except McEntee that is.

The recruiters probably just selected McEntee to play exclusively for the Magpies and provide a bit of depth there, but Ken didn't get the memo.

Idk the thing about Hartlett was that he never lived up to his #4 pick expectations including basically giving up being a midfielder to take the easy option of collecting stats off HB.

Almost no exposure to coaching and straight into the SANFL senior coaching role.

What does he have to teach/coach?

I'd at least understand it if he came from another AFL club.

Idk the thing about Hartlett was that he never lived up to his #4 pick expectations including basically giving up being a midfielder to take the easy option of collecting stats off HB.

Almost no exposure to coaching and straight into the SANFL senior coaching role.

What does he have to teach/coach?

I'd at least understand it if he came from another AFL club.

I reckon the club was in exit mode or jobs for the boys. Either way, I describe the appointment as negligence.

Fantastic

What worries me is clubs will come knocking for him and Davies might sell him to stock up some picks for Ken. There has to be a moratorium on trading until the new coach comes in.

Pre-season I had him at #2 between Soldo and Sweet. Expect him to overtake Soldo by the start of next year. All he needs is experience and some more maturity bringing size and strength.

Remove this Banner Ad

2nds Port Adelaide vs Centrals - Round 12 @ Alberton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back