AFLW Port Adelaide vs Essendon - Round 10 @ Alberton

Remove this Banner Ad

This is pretty awful but it would be nice to get a free in front of goals like Essendon do.
yep odea just got high tackled on the 50, play on

It was always going to be very tough going this year. I'm kind of just glad we got a win, didn't finish bottom and weren't the worst of the expansion teams. The effort of course has been unquestionable.

We need to nail a couple of draft picks and maybe target some opposition players that could add to our mix. If we could go from 6 points to 12 points next season (ie 3 wins) then I think that would represent good progress.

Other teams move the ball so much better than we do
The obsession with creating this running maul , contested style, where the opposition just flood back and spread when they get it, is not working. We can't score, we have no transition ability, it's just crap. Then our opponents have loose outside runners everywhere and stream end to end in a heartbeat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The obsession with creating this running maul , contested style, where the opposition just flood back and spread when they get it, is not working. We can't score, we have no transition ability, it's just crap. Then our opponents have loose outside runners everywhere and stream end to end in a heartbeat.

At the end of the day, no game plan is going to work if you don't have players with the skill level to execute it.

It's evident that they have created a good culture with players who consistently give high effort no matter the situation. This is about all we could've hoped for this season. The key now is to add/develop quality players so that the effort can start to be rewarded on the scoreboard.

At the end of the day, no game plan is going to work if you don't have players with the skill level to execute it.

It's evident that they have created a good culture with players who consistently give high effort no matter the situation. This is about all we could've hoped for this season. The key now is to add/develop quality players so that the effort can start to be rewarded on the scoreboard.
I'd just like to have seen them try something else.

We play AFLW like it was played in year 1. Like it is a war of attrition and inches and the team that can tackle the hardest for the longest will win. Almost like the coach we picked up came from that era and it is the only thing she knows. But that isn't how AFLW is played in 2022.

If you look at the good teams they play with deliberate and calculated ball movement. Even the crappier teams like Essendon and Hawthorn manage to occasionally find targets inside 50 or at the very least can execute a rebound effectively.

The fact of the matter is that we are getting belted by another expansion team in the wet. That is embarrassing.

Some of it is personnel but I think most of it comes down to coaching and strategy.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW Port Adelaide vs Essendon - Round 10 @ Alberton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back