2nds Port Adelaide vs Sturt - Round 4 @ Alberton

Remove this Banner Ad

I fully understand why we selected Skinner, purely on the basis of his last season with South Adelaide
When I saw him playing for them, I immediately wanted him on our list. He was supreme aerially, which I thought immediately addressed our backline problems. There was no evidence he was as slow as a draught horse.

But he's gone backwards at pace.

I'm struggling to understand how it just evaporated, even at SANFL level.

Hopefully Skinner can pick up some pace with more AFL training and intensity under his belt.

If not then doesn't matter, didn't really cost us anything.

Hopefully Skinner can pick up some pace with more AFL training and intensity under his belt.

If not then doesn't matter, didn't really cost us anything.

He was a risk with three knee injuries and at the moment it is costing us a list spot because we don't have any developing young tall defenders, I mean taller than Pasini.

Went to game , tricky breeze blowing across ground that we never adjusted to, made the game even scrappier.
The good , Pasini continues to develop nicely, cant be far from debut. Lord really battled strongly, real competitor, with another couple of kgs and bit more dev he looks promising. Skinner slowly picking up form, looking a bit more like the player from last yr. Schofield starting to look better, thought he was good against Souths, concern is that I,m not sure what role he plays at next level. Dursma ground away but very rusty.
The bad - ugly ugly game, we couldnt get anything from the centre or stoppages. Blues bigger bodies really shut us down and in the end the game just deterioated into a series of stoppages. Mayes poor first half , so many mistakes. But what did my head in was the defensive errors in letting the ball over the top. The chief culprit being Jones, he has got to pull his head in and realise that going at everything at a thousand miles an hour is dumb footy, he repeatly flew with skinner and surman leaving no one down, this kid needs to be spoken to and developed now as he is getting bad habits. Better in 3rd but off in last?
All and all very frustrating game but Sturt came with a gameplan that has repeatably worked for them when they play us.
Terrific summary. Lord is by far the most exciting prospect we have. Hopefully he develops into a Dixon replacement. Jones has been unimpressive apart from his debut game... perhaps he is a winger like Big Dipper was but at the moment he is way off AFL standard.
According to the Tizer Sammy Mayes was our best but I've never seen him turn the ball over so much.
The SANFL should only have 16 players per team on the field like the VFA once had ... the modern game, the modern tackling and small grounds = congestive rugby

Was Duurs as good as they are reporting? Weirdly I don't think I've even seen his name in here but on the AFL website he "dominated"?

This article lists Trent Burgoyne as a Power player when he's not even on our list anymore, so fair to say the writer has no knowledge of Port and only really looked at the stats.

So we're 1-9 at both levels with the win coming against the 17th-placed Eagles. Not sure how much longer we need to go before this becomes unacceptable.

Looked like a good crowd in on the TV - was it comparable with our usual Alberton attendance?

Crowd was 2,221. Thought there might've been a bigger crowd because of the Anzac round, but perhaps some people decided to stay home and watch it on Channel 7 instead. For comparison the last time Port played Sturt at Alberton Oval was in Round 11 2021. The crowd last year in that game against Sturt was 2,180.

Was Duurs as good as they are reporting? Weirdly I don't think I've even seen his name in here but on the AFL website he "dominated"?

He accumulated the footy but I didn't think he was that clean with it. He's injured his ankle but even if he didn't, i would've been surprised if he got back into the AFL based off his performance against Sturt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back