Port Adelaide's China game strategy

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish I knew you I would take $1000 on GC playing over there again, GWS would be the only other alternative and with the fact they are in a premiership window they wouldnt play a game in china in a fit. I only choose those two clubs as financially like port they require the AFL for survival and they can be dictated to!
GWS already play home games away in Canberra, I doubt they would play even less games at home in Sydney for this overseas rubbish.

For those who think it's a mere sideshow an just a novelty. This is from mailman Sport (A Chinese company by the way) http://www.mailmangroup.com/en/2017/05/how-port-adelaide-brought-footy-to-china/
Fan activation, capital attraction, and sports education are the three pillars of PAFC’s China strategy.
Port Adelaide sees this match as the starting point of a long and fruitful partnership between the AFL and China. PAFC will present the AFL commission in the next couple of months, outlining a five-year view on China,

Thats nice as they will require the AFL to force one of its clubs to play there, as we know GC and GWS sit out there as AFL financed entioties with mnimal supporters who arent goig to make too many noises although Port are also totally reliant on teh AFL also, you could play Adelaide if you move your home game to China I suppose and if the AFL agree, Adelaide will be forced to go as part of the fixture but that isnt going to happen, with a big draw card, I suppose you might get the AFL agree to play St kilda if you move one of your home games and compensate AO, you would think AO make 13 million out of 22 games so something around $600K with some costs would see the deal done. How wopuld the Port faithfull feel about that?

GWS already play home games away in Canberra, I doubt they would play even less games at home in Sydney for this overseas rubbish.

Totally agree the AFL's main focus is the northern states which could see the TV rights rise another 50% if they can get market share and a big slice of ratings in those two states so you could see an additional $1 billion TV deal if those states can be cracked. NSW seems more likely at this stage than QLD in that happening

This is sadly turning into the Bay.
All I can see from all these posts is how incredibly upset Crows supporters are with our China Strategy.
Fagan reassured them it was just a sideshow, yet look at the exposure it is receiving.
Plus it's looking like, from what Hunter has said, we already will be close making 10 million already.
When the 4 million to get the oval ready and the first game his deducted it still leaves 6 mill.
Amazing effort for this small club.
Very proud indeed I am.
This is already a success.
The saltiness is no surprise really :)
Another post about the Crows, you will be banned from here too soon ;)

Do you honestly think we are upset? Seriously?

We find it hilarious. You're club can't cut it here and has to put your season in jeapordy to make a dollar.

Whilst we worry about finishing top 4 and winning a flag

I'm kinda interested how into it the Chinese fans get/how many of them there are haha. Like, are there some Chinese AFL fans who watch through youtube.etc? Is the AFL site/videos even available in China? haha. Or will it just be Port (and the tiny contingent of GC) fans who flew over?

Be funny if many do go for GC because of the silly colour thing..

and winning a flag

Lol.

You have to win consecutive finals first. Something the Crows have not been able to do since 1998. Why would this year be any different :rainbow:

I wonder if the game might actually be more aimed at the large Chinese population IN Melbourne. I mean, much of Melbourne is becoming like a Chinatown...

If it doesnt involve two bats a table , net and a little white ball it wont attract much interest from the chinese

Haha, if the Chinese decide to put money into any sport, they can excel, as the Olympics have shown. Soccer is their next big thing..A talent pool of over a billion is pretty intimidating...

Another post about the Crows, you will be banned from here too soon ;)

Do you honestly think we are upset? Seriously?

We find it hilarious. You're club can't cut it here and has to put your season in jeapordy to make a dollar.

Whilst we worry about finishing top 4 and winning a flag
Enjoy that flag that you have won already :)
You are definitely upset or your supporters wouldn't be on this thread or every thread about Port and China outnumbering other supporter groups at least 4 to 1.
I am respectful. You are not.
I am trying to educate. You are just mocking.
I am following Port's positive Leadership's example. You are following your negative Leadership's example.
So you lurk on the Port board yet you say I'm obsessed?
Really? I don't lurk on your board.
You say "just to make a dollar" Um, isn't that the whole point here? Isn't that what you constantly demand of us? That we become financially more stable?
What do you really want? Just an opportunity for schadenfreude?
Because that's how it is looking.
So many ridiculous comments, barbs and questions could be avoided if you read the info we give you rather than just constantly berating and point scoring. This is not the Bay. Nor is it the Crows forum.
Anyway, I see there's no point commenting or replying in this forum any further. You can lead a horse to water and all that....
If anyone was really interested they would do the research themselves or read our links.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder if the game might actually be more aimed at the large Chinese population IN Melbourne. I mean, much of Melbourne is becoming like a Chinatown...

Given its a game between port and gc, no

Enjoy that flag that you have won already :)
You are definitely upset or your supporters wouldn't be on this thread or every thread about Port and China outnumbering other supporter groups at least 4 to 1.
I am respectful. You are not.
I am trying to educate. You are just mocking.
I am following Port's positive Leadership's example. You are following your negative Leadership's example.
So you lurk on the Port board yet you say I'm obsessed?
Really? I don't lurk on your board.
You say "just to make a dollar" Um, isn't that the whole point here? Isn't that what you constantly demand of us? That we become financially more stable?
What do you really want? Just an opportunity for schadenfreude?
Because that's how it is looking.
So many ridiculous comments, barbs and questions could be avoided if you read the info we give you rather than just constantly berating and point scoring. This is not the Bay. Nor is it the Crows forum.
Of all the idiotic logic I've read from you in the past, this is right up there. We are upset that's why we are hanging shit on your club and deluded supporters? Yeah that's the way it works.

Your educating and being respectful? Mate you are a strange one.

Given its a game between port and gc, no

Football like most sports around the world are very culutural based, its interesting games like AFL, NFL and Gaelec are worshipped by parts of their country but cant crack it elsewhere, yet we all love the game and cant understand why others wouldnt. Its amazing that other countries will not adopt NFL, I hate it, so why would I expect any other countries to like our game

Lol.

You have to win consecutive finals first. Something the Crows have not been able to do since 1998. Why would this year be any different :rainbow:
We've done it twice, you've done it once and considering we can beat top 8 teams we are closer to the next one than you.

In China there's something that is known as the 'Loser Back Home' phenomenon, which is where a westerner, usually a middle-aged male who can't pay his way in his home country travels to china, gets one of the limited categories of jobs you can get in china just by virtue of being white (these days basically deadend ESL) and then drifts around acting like he's a big shot, whilst most average Chinese ignore or look down on him.

Call me cynical but I see some parallels...

The entire AFL community and supporters of all other clubs are laughing at Port Power. Even the Suns are thinking this is a waste of time.

Little Port Power think they are taking over with their game in China. Mark my words, there wont be a game there next year. And PAP will be plunged further into debt. The rest of the comp better be checking their back pockets, Kochie will be knocking soon for some charity.

We've done it twice, you've done it once and considering we can beat top 8 teams we are closer to the next one than you.
I am sure you say that every year. Still has not explained why the Crows have not won consecutive finals since 1998?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-...with-uninterested-china/8519266?section=sport

Article says the China experiment needs to be a long term as no one in China even knows what the sport is. Will need to be a 10 year venture and even then its not guaranteed success.

I worry about the balance sheet of the port power. They already in $10m debt. Guarantee this figure grows while they try to convince everyone China is the future of AFL football.

In all seriousness they should have left something like this to the big boys of the AFL. A club with a strong foundation, both financially and with industry smarts. The power and Kochie are way out of their league.

Having said that none of the powerhouse AFL clubs would have even entertained this Chinese experiment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back