Port Adelaide's China game strategy

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It will be no different to us flicking through and watching a Handball game or Biathlon on Eurosportsnews channel.

Kills an hour or so. But does not make.me want to buy any Flensburg- Hendeswitt merchandise.

Very few people in Shanghai know this game is happening....

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Yet you are now aware of the
Flensburg-Hendeswitt brandname

Can't hurt for squillions more people to be aware of the Port Adelaide brand name

Meanwhile in sleepy backwater SA

Can't hurt for squillions more people to be aware of the Port Adelaide brand name

No I Googled it for that post.

Which proves my point.

I have channel surfed and watched a Handball game many a time. It is a pretty good sport to watch. Yet ask me who was playing a few weeks later I would not tell you as I dont care any longer than the hour it killed whilst bored.

Daresay for the average Chinese guy watching this game during Mothers Day lunchtime will tell the same story.

Essendon have been loaned big $$$ from parties outside of the AFL and need to pay that money back with interest.

You won't be debt free and even if you were, that doesn't mean you sit back and relax. China is the only place the league can expand into because of the sponsorship opportunities. There have been crisis talks at Crows board meetings since this started 5 years back because Port going to China makes it virtually impossible for Adelaide to go too.

If Port are a financial burden the SANFL wouldn't have spent years trying to hold onto our licence before selling it for 7 million.

My sources are always spot on. I dont usually share info outside the Port board but given the negativity particularly from Crows fans, I though I'd share.

Work it out we are paying down debt like last year of 1.4 or 1.5 million we have 1.8 million left a bumper year and its gone, bye bye. You have ten Million and it aint moving you are merely servicing it infact its probably going to go up.

As for the SANFLthe licence was purcahsed by them and rented to you until they sold it they had to keep the licencee afloat or there investment would have gone down the drain and the AFL would repo it unless the SANFL started a new team to meet the licence obligations. That was until they sold it to you where you actually borrowed the money from the AFL with that licence held as security so they have you by the short and curly's.

Your debt is great and has the AFL as an underwriter so if you do default they actually might ship you off to china permanently to recoup their coin

Good luck

https://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/2011/11/28/nfl-tries-to-tackle-china-market-again/

Thsi article is back from 2011, NFL which makes AFL look like that backwater you were talking about, has tried china numerous times without success

But dont stress AFL will captivate the market

A few pages back it was claimed “no-one” in Shanghai knew this game on was on. Now with this TV deal it seems the mood has changed to “very few”, who knows next year it might be just “few” the year after “some” the year after that “a lot” then the year after that “everyone”. Whether that comes to fruition or not who knows but with the lack of sponsors that appear to be available in the current financial climate, good on port for seeking new pastures (especially if it doesn’t end up costing anything).

Interestingly if this game was being played at Metricon this week on Mothers day, rather than Shanghai, I dare say the % of people on the Gold Coast who knew the game was on, wouldn’t be far off the equivalent % of people in Shanghai who are aware of an AFL game being played in their city this weekend.

A few pages back it was claimed “no-one” in Shanghai knew this game on was on. Now with this TV deal it seems the mood has changed to “very few”, who knows next year it might be just “few” the year after “some” the year after that “a lot” then the year after that “everyone”. Whether that comes to fruition or not who knows but with the lack of sponsors that appear to be available in the current financial climate, good on port for seeking new pastures (especially if it doesn’t end up costing anything).

Interestingly if this game was being played at Metricon this week on Mothers day, rather than Shanghai, I dare say the % of people on the Gold Coast who knew the game was on, wouldn’t be far off the equivalent % of people in Shanghai who are aware of an AFL game being played in their city this weekend.

Correct it is a battle in Queensland and that is even with all the grey nomads from the southern states retiring in the sunny state. The AFL desperatly need that state to get on board as they are battling with that state and the TV deal alone will increase by 25% if it did work

Why do you think Queensland isnt working?

Why do you think the NFL didnt or hasnt worked in china despite the numerous times tried and no doubt the millions spent compared to what the AFL will invest?

Sports like AFL, Gaelec, NFL are unique and you love them or hate them, soccer is a far easier sell as is proven globally

i'm just amazed that there are so many experts on China, most of which are Crows fans. The remainder are VFL dinosaur-types.

just because club hasn't exclusively sought and obtained sponsorship from Villi's pies, Southwark Bitter, Cafe Bravo West Lakes, and, i don't know, maybe Graham Cornes Used Cars?

Port Adelaide is the oldest professional football club in South Australia and the fifth-oldest club in the AFL. Since the club's first game on 24 May 1870. look on the back of Port's Guernsey, approved they the AFL Commission.
The Crows were formed when Port wanted to go into the AFL and were stopped by a court order taken out by Glenelg to stop Port talking to the AFL.
Non Port Members try and convince themselves that Port started when Port joined the AFL in 1997.

AFL Commission accepts all clubs can acknowledge their success from outside the VFL-AFL competition
PORT Adelaide can now claim it is Australian football’s most-successful club with 37 flags - with AFL approval.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...n/news-story/d7ab969dff3bfe01e75933e899e8b87a
So where did we both come from? The SANFL??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i'm just amazed that there are so many experts on China, most of which are Crows fans. The remainder are VFL dinosaur-types.

just because club hasn't exclusively sought and obtained sponsorship from Villi's pies, Southwark Bitter, Cafe Bravo West Lakes, and, i don't know, maybe Graham Cornes Used Cars?
How many experts from Port?

Correct it is a battle in Queensland and that is even with all the grey nomads from the southern states retiring in the sunny state. The AFL desperatly need that state to get on board as they are battling with that state and the TV deal alone will increase by 25% if it did work

Why do you think Queensland isnt working?

Why do you think the NFL didnt or hasnt worked in china despite the numerous times tried and no doubt the millions spent compared to what the AFL will invest?

Sports like AFL, Gaelec, NFL are unique and you love them or hate them, soccer is a far easier sell as is proven globally
In case you have not worked out yet this thread has nothing to do with the state of football in Queensland :rolleyes:

In case you have not worked out yet this thread has nothing to do with the state of football in Queensland :rolleyes:

No its about how the AFL is being tried in china whilst it is being tried in QLD but hasnt worked in our own backyard and we are fully aware of how the NFL have tried it

Oh Im sorry is about attracting investment opportunties and the fact Port will be the new Austrade in Australia or just a broker looking to grab their slice off the top of any deal they can broker

No, Adelaide desperately want to be involved but can't with the stadium deal. They are trying to buy a home game from another club as a way around it. Adelaide have the same problem as us re: sponsorship dollars and need to find a way to expand outside of SA.

Essendon with their financial problems are offering to sell a home game for $300,000 next year but Brisbane will go cheaper.
I doubt anything in this post is true.

My sources are always spot on. I dont usually share info outside the Port board but given the negativity particularly from Crows fans, I though I'd share.
Where is evidence that the Crows are trying to buy someone's home game to play in China? Fagan has been open with our strategy to increase revenue & this has not been mentioned once, which suggests that you made it up!

I can't speak for Essendon, but it is laughable that they or the Lions would sell a home game for $300,000 or less... which is less than the $500,000 you paif to GWS & also far less than GWS get for Canberra or Hawks/Roos for Tasmania.

I suspect your sources are made up or pulling your leg.

No its about how the AFL is being tried in china whilst it is being tried in QLD but hasnt worked in our own backyard and we are fully aware of how the NFL have tried it

Oh Im sorry is about attracting investment opportunties and the fact Port will be the new Austrade in Australia or just a broker looking to grab their slice off the top of any deal they can broker
Sad

#denialandenvyobsession

On the China game, I truly hope that Port Adelaide make good money from it, as it's in everyone's best interests that they become an AFL club that doesn't rely on extra AFL financial assistance.

There have been some serious puffing of the chest that this game will make Port $2M, so I look forward to seeing their profit for this year to confirm this is the case... & that it hasn't effectively cost the AFL more in expenditure. eg. Who is picking up the cost of ground, travel & accommodation of both sides? ie. Would be good to see some transparency, rather than just claims, but I'm sure this will come out with time

How many experts from Port?
Oh look here's another one.:rolleyes:

In answer to your question, there's plenty of self-styled experts from Port. But that's too be expected given the fact that Port have been involved in this for the past 4 years.

Oh look here's another one.:rolleyes:

In answer to your question, there's plenty of self-styled experts from Port. But that's too be expected given the fact that Port have been involved in this for the past 4 years.
Oh a typo, you scored big there.

So you don't think the rest of us in SA have had to listen to the China shit as well?

As for Port experts, just because you read the propoganda from the club and some on your board, that doesn't make you an expert, that makes you gullible.

Serious question for the Port supporters.

This strategy started in 2013.

It has been labelled a long term strategy. It is now into the fourth year

At what point do you expect real change at the club, ie no debt no reliance on AFL Equalisation Funding, league leading football department spent and of course a genuine top four threat ?

Oh a typo, you scored big there.

So you don't think the rest of us in SA have had to listen to the China shit as well?

As for Port experts, just because you read the propoganda from the club and some on your board, that doesn't make you an expert, that makes you gullible.
Typo me or typo you? Not sure what you're referring to.

Are you complaining about the media not being "Eddie Eddie Taylor Rorey Rory Riley Derpaderp" for a change?

And carn don't even speak of gullible when your mob have such Stockholm Syndrome levels of undying adoration for all things West Lakes it's sickening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back