Port Adelaide's China game strategy

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You just can't convince members of a cult to see reality.......

Portologists lead by their grand leaders Kochie and Hunter...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
This thread is beginning to look like the Non AFL discussion thread on the Crows board :$

This thread is beginning to look like the Non AFL discussion thread on the Crows board :$
Well it is non AFL related.

Given the small amount of China money you guys are generating for your Footy Deaprtment.

Kudos on the trade/economic mission though. Our state needs it.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-...with-uninterested-china/8519266?section=sport

Article says the China experiment needs to be a long term as no one in China even knows what the sport is. Will need to be a 10 year venture and even then its not guaranteed success.

I worry about the balance sheet of the port power. They already in $10m debt. Guarantee this figure grows while they try to convince everyone China is the future of AFL football.

In all seriousness they should have left something like this to the big boys of the AFL. A club with a strong foundation, both financially and with industry smarts. The power and Kochie are way out of their league.

Having said that none of the powerhouse AFL clubs would have even entertained this Chinese experiment.

Exactly. That's why Port Adelaide is exactly the right team.

Apart from Crows fans just responding like arch-rivals, I don't understand the degree of negativity about the game.

I am unaware of the AFL kicking anything in to this so it appears that it is at least paying for itself

Why anyone would expect that there would be widespread knowledge of this game or the game itself on the streets of shanghai - or indeed whether that is a measure of the appropriateness of having the game in the first place - is beyond me. The question will be whether more people will be aware of it in 5 or ten years if this game is played annually. And even that is a secondary to whether Port is making a decent buck out of it. After that everything else bonus

Where did we both come from?

Port ****ed the SNAFL in 1990 and you were the result.
They've been extracting alimony and child support from us ever since.

What?

How's it not positive? Port are closing in on more international sponsors, broken even already and the game hasn't even started.. all I sense is jealousy. They told us to think outside the box, we have and we now have over 60k members and International sponsorship as well as being top 4 in attendances? Clubs improved massively off the field and this will only strengthen it. The only negative you've pointed out is A League fans are laughing at this? Who gives a ****.. look at how many issues that league has at the moment. They'll be laughing at the AFL no matter what they do and that's because they'll always be second to AFL.

The only thing I've noticed is A League fans laughing at Rodney Eades sooking about traveling.. he made it sound like they're going to the moon when A League sides regularly travel to China and back it up 4 days later at home without a issue.

The same sort of negativity in this thread was probably similar to that of the whinging when the VFL experimented with night Football as well as the league going national..

Yes, jealous of a club with a foghorn leghorn President who hosts a brain rotting TV program and publicly and unfairly calls out his coach. I also lie at wake at night wondering why I'm so jealous of a team that shouldn't have existed in the first place and have proven at the almost every turn so far to have been a major bust with any player worth their salt wanting to hit the eject button. Then again, I do remember when my team did stupid publicity stunts for money and a bit of exposure because we were struggling to maintain relevance. (i.e. Whiskas).

Apart from Crows fans just responding like arch-rivals, I don't understand the degree of negativity about the game.

I am unaware of the AFL kicking anything in to this so it appears that it is at least paying for itself

Why anyone would expect that there would be widespread knowledge of this game or the game itself on the streets of shanghai - or indeed whether that is a measure of the appropriateness of having the game in the first place - is beyond me. The question will be whether more people will be aware of it in 5 or ten years if this game is played annually. And even that is a secondary to whether Port is making a decent buck out of it. After that everything else bonus

Dont be so serious mate. This thread should have been in Bay13 a long time ago.

MOst of us just love winding the power up.

Where did we both come from?
Port Adelaide is the oldest professional football club in South Australia and the fifth-oldest club in the AFL. Since the club's first game on 24 May 1870. look on the back of Port's Guernsey, approved they the AFL Commission.
The Crows were formed when Port wanted to go into the AFL and were stopped by a court order taken out by Glenelg to stop Port talking to the AFL.
Non Port Members try and convince themselves that Port started when Port joined the AFL in 1997.

AFL Commission accepts all clubs can acknowledge their success from outside the VFL-AFL competition
PORT Adelaide can now claim it is Australian football’s most-successful club with 37 flags - with AFL approval.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...n/news-story/d7ab969dff3bfe01e75933e899e8b87a

Enjoy that flag that you have won already :)
You are definitely upset or your supporters wouldn't be on this thread or every thread about Port and China outnumbering other supporter groups at least 4 to 1.
I am respectful. You are not.
I am trying to educate. You are just mocking.
I am following Port's positive Leadership's example. You are following your negative Leadership's example.
So you lurk on the Port board yet you say I'm obsessed?
Really? I don't lurk on your board.
You say "just to make a dollar" Um, isn't that the whole point here? Isn't that what you constantly demand of us? That we become financially more stable?
What do you really want? Just an opportunity for schadenfreude?
Because that's how it is looking.
So many ridiculous comments, barbs and questions could be avoided if you read the info we give you rather than just constantly berating and point scoring. This is not the Bay. Nor is it the Crows forum.
Anyway, I see there's no point commenting or replying in this forum any further. You can lead a horse to water and all that....
If anyone was really interested they would do the research themselves or read our links.

You would do well to keep your posts to a few lines as its less boring for other posters to read, or you might find what happened to you on the Port board happening here.

Anyway i thought you was hard done by on your board & a lot of the negative words etc concerning your good self was in my opinion just plain old bullying.

Apart from Crows fans just responding like arch-rivals,
upload_2017-5-12_10-40-54.png
Well they will know about it, as game is going to be live on Shanghai TV.
Another first for an AFL game being played in China.:D
So I suppose a few million in Shanghai will watch it :p

Last edited:
Port Adelaide is the oldest professional football club in South Australia and the fifth-oldest club in the AFL. Since the club's first game on 24 May 1870. look on the back of Port's Guernsey, approved they the AFL Commission.
The Crows were formed when Port wanted to go into the AFL and were stopped by a court order taken out by Glenelg to stop Port talking to the AFL.
Non Port Members try and convince themselves that Port started when Port joined the AFL in 1997.

AFL Commission accepts all clubs can acknowledge their success from outside the VFL-AFL competition
PORT Adelaide can now claim it is Australian football’s most-successful club with 37 flags - with AFL approval.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...n/news-story/d7ab969dff3bfe01e75933e899e8b87a

I've always wondered this. As Port (Magpies) is the oldest club in SA........who did you play back then?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At the risk of sounding like a villan from Get Smart.....

"I find that difficult to believe....."

Link?
Essendon have been loaned big $$$ from parties outside of the AFL and need to pay that money back with interest.
You do realise we should be debt free by the end of this year, how's your monster debt travelling, you do realise this debt is the reason the AFL need to guarantee your club to make you viable
You won't be debt free and even if you were, that doesn't mean you sit back and relax. China is the only place the league can expand into because of the sponsorship opportunities. There have been crisis talks at Crows board meetings since this started 5 years back because Port going to China makes it virtually impossible for Adelaide to go too.

If Port are a financial burden the SANFL wouldn't have spent years trying to hold onto our licence before selling it for 7 million.
I doubt anything in this post is true.
My sources are always spot on. I dont usually share info outside the Port board but given the negativity particularly from Crows fans, I though I'd share.

View attachment 369467
Well they will know about it, as game is going to be live on Shanghai TV.
Another first for an AFL game being played in China.:D
So I suppose a few million in Shanghai will watch it :p

Interested to know why this was left so late to organise? Did the AFL just assume it would be televised, or was it a year of back and forth trying to get it done? Did any dollars change hands?

We'll probably never find out but I find it strange that it wasn't arranged much earlier.

Essendon have been loaned big $$$ from parties outside of the AFL and need to pay that money back with interest.

You won't be debt free and even if you were, that doesn't mean you sit back and relax. China is the only place the league can expand into because of the sponsorship opportunities. There have been crisis talks at Crows board meetings since this started 5 years back because Port going to China makes it virtually impossible for Adelaide to go too.

If Port are a financial burden the SANFL wouldn't have spent years trying to hold onto our licence before selling it for 7 million.

My sources are always spot on. I dont usually share info outside the Port board but given the negativity particularly from Crows fans, I though I'd share.

"Crisis talks" :drunk:

Last edited:
Interested to know why this was left so late to organise? Did the AFL just assume it would be televised, or was it a year of back and forth trying to get it done? Did any dollars change hands?

We'll probably never find out but I find it strange that it wasn't arranged much earlier.
Did you ever think they wanted to announce it at the last moment for maximum publicity?

Did you ever think they wanted to announce it at the last moment for maximum publicity?
It will be no different to us flicking through and watching a Handball game or Biathlon on Eurosportsnews channel.

Kills an hour or so. But does not make.me want to buy any Flensburg- Hendeswitt merchandise.

Very few people in Shanghai know this game is happening....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back