News Port Adelaide's Next Generation Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

That reminds me of the time Charlie Walsh said Andrew McLeod could ride in the Tour de France.
Crawford had Andrew Russell as his fitness guy who ran 800/1500m at a decent level and he never said Crawf could run the Olympics or World champs.

Was he saying something about the Crows' supplements program?

Don't know, I couldn't hear that over the sound of the toilet flushing. :p

Excited to hear this. I believe that GWS has had too many concessions. Grant it they are not in an AFL state but it's not as if they aren't choosing from the same pool of players as the rest of us.

Excited to hear this. I believe that GWS has had too many concessions. Grant it they are not in an AFL state but it's not as if they aren't choosing from the same pool of players as the rest of us.

It's diabolical. And then consider they have the likes of Brett Deledio and Ryan Griffen waiting in the wings, albeit in a Daniel Wellsian manner.

Demetriou's response to any such criticism was always, "well, the clubs voted for it", as if their future dominance, talent-hoarding and constant premium pick replenishment could've been foreseen.

ie, "what's that? Dom Tyson wants out? Okay, we'll trade him for pick #2 (Josh Kelly)".

So gross.

I put the Advertiser story on the kids coming through the indigenous academy and eligible for 2017 draft in the other thread because I don't think we can bid for them. But this story on the club's website from June this year.

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2017-06-29/port-can-bid-on-two-academy-players
TWO Port Adelaide Next Gen Academy members have been approved for talent concessions by the AFL. Kai Pudney and Martin Frederick are members of Port Adelaide’s Multicultural and Aboriginal Next Gen Academy and will be eligible to be bid upon in the draft by Port Adelaide once age-eligible. The duo are members of the South Australian Under-17 State Futures squad and played in last Saturday’s win over WA. “Kai and Martin are working closely with our Academy coach Shaun Hart and the rest of our footy program within our Next Gen structure,” SANFL and Next Generation Academy manager Shane Grimm told portadelaidefc.com.au....
http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2017-06-29/port-can-bid-on-two-academy-players

Kai Pudney had a pretty big year this year. Averaged 27 touches a game. Was regularly in the top 3 possession getters for WWT in the u18s. Averaged just under 12 handball receives so he knows how to play on the outside well, and averaged over 3 clearances a game so can get it on the inside too. I think he'll be an interesting player to keep an eye on next year. Could be a gem.

Good luck with your Next Gen Academy. I will be following your Next Gen lads closely.

We have one coming through and available for next years draft (Jason Carter from the Kimberley region of WA) and have a number of 14 and 15 year olds' we are really excited about.

As I said in our thread:

It's the closest thing the AFL has to the old fashion zones, and it puts the onus on clubs to develop their own which enables some players to play for their zoned club instead of being drafted interstate. It gives the host club the opportunity to have more players from their nominated region.

Good luck, exciting to breed your own.

Good luck with your Next Gen Academy. I will be following your Next Gen lads closely.

We have one coming through and available for next years draft (Jason Carter from the Kimberley region of WA) and have a number of 14 and 15 year olds' we are really excited about.

As I said in our thread:

It's the closest thing the AFL has to the old fashion zones, and it puts the onus on clubs to develop their own which enables some players to play for their zoned club instead of being drafted interstate. It gives the host club the opportunity to have more players from their nominated region.

The annoying thing is we had a zone and junior sides but the SANFL took them away. It's like they don't want kids to be developed in this state. Pretty sad.

These are our city and country zones for indigenous and multicultural players that we are getting bidding rights to, under the Next Generation Academy rules. We have some kids come thru our indigenous academy that we don't have rights to. I'm not sure if that will continue in the future, but they were scooped up because of the transition from our old program when we had no zones and the Next Generation rules and zones allocated in 2016. Some Centrals players are in there but have been lost when Centrals zone was allocated to the crows. From 12th April 2016 article on the club's website. The 2017 draft is the first draft that all club's have access to Next Generation Academy zoned players. If the players aren't picked up in the national draft they can be put onto club's Cat B rookie list if the club's dont want them snappe up by others in the rookie draft. There is more about the rules on page 2 of this thread.

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2016-04-12/port-adelaides-zones-are-back
THE AFL has today brought Port Adelaide back into Australia’s football development pathway by allocating it a comprehensive development zone for player development. These zones see the Eyre Peninsula and Port Adelaide’s metropolitan heartland returned to the club. The AFL released its Next Generation AFL Club Academy zoning for the Power, Crows, Dockers and Eagles on Tuesday.

The zones are designed to attract and engage male and female players not currently participating in the game, as well as those in remote communities who have limited access to existing football pathways. Port Adelaide will gain seed funding from the AFL to establish academies in 2016, with a particular focus on developing Aboriginal, multicultural and female pathways. Academy development will continue again in 2017.

Automatic talent concessions will be provided to Port Adelaide and other clubs to select players of Asian and African heritage or indigenous players from its APY Lands regions in the draft. Concessions to recruit other culturally and linguistically diverse players will be determined on a case-by-case basis by the AFL.

Port's heartland back
After surrendering its traditional Eyre Peninsula and metropolitan zones as part of its football program restructure in 2014, Port Adelaide has reacquired its 'heartland' via the Next Generation Academy allocations. The areas distributed to the two South Australian elite clubs correlate to those provided by the SANFL to its eight non-AFL teams. Port Adelaide has been allocated the zones of Woodville-West Torrens, Norwood, South Adelaide and West Adelaide in the AFL's distribution.

Those regions include the Eyre, Fleurieu and Yorke Peninsulas, Kangaroo Island, parts of the mid-north and Riverland, as well as Adelaide’s north-eastern suburbs, north-western and outer southern suburbs.

The APY lands - which are part of Woodville-West Torrens' regional zone - have been divided between Port Adelaide and the Crows. Port has been allocated the communities of Ernabella, Amata, Murputja and Pipalyatjara (APY Lands - West), with the Crows gaining Kenmore, Fregon, Mimili and Indulkana (East).
http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2016-04-12/port-adelaides-zones-are-back

upload_2017-10-25_14-12-40.png upload_2017-10-25_14-15-3.png

This article from February 2016 allocated the Vic clubs their Next Generation zones in Victoria plus 5 clubs got zones in the NT - Essendon the Tiwi Islands, Melbourne from SA border to north of Alice Springs. Geelong Darwin and south of Darwin and Hawthorn and Collingwood in between Geelong's and Melbourne's zones

North a few months later were allocated all of Tassie

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-02-03/victorian-clubs-handed-afl-funding-for-academies
Next generation AFL club academies – Victorian clubs region allocation

Western Bulldogs – Western Melbourne, Wimmera, Mallee, South West Victoria, Ballarat, (North Ballarat Rebels & Western Jets)

Essendon – North West Melbourne (Calder Cannons), West Arnhem (NT)

Melbourne – South East Melbourne (Dandenong Stingrays), Alice Springs (NT)

Collingwood – Central Melbourne (Oakleigh Chargers), Barkly (NT)

St Kilda – Inner Southern Melbourne (Sandringham Dragons), Frankston LGA

North Melbourne – Melbourne and Wyndham LGAs (Calder Cannons & Western Jets)

Hawthorn – Eastern/Whitehorse LGAs (Eastern Ranges), Gippsland (Gippsland Power), Katherine (NT)

Carlton – Northern Melbourne (Northern Knights)

Geelong – Geelong /Hampden (Geelong Falcons), East Arnhem (NT)

Richmond – Goulburn Murray, Bendigo, Sunraysia, North Central (Bendigo Pioneers and Murray Bushrangers)

Victorian allocation
mapvic.jpg

mapnt.jpg

WA and SA clubs' zones

AFL Next Generation Club Academy zones

West Coast
Metropolitan – East Perth, Perth, Swan Districts, Subiaco
Regional – South West (90 per cent), Midlands, Great Southern, Goldfields
* The Eagles will also have access to indigenous players in the Pilbara region

Fremantle
Metropolitan – East Fremantle, South Fremantle, Peel Thunder, West Perth, Claremont
Regional – Midwest, South West (10 per cent), Wheatbelt
* The Dockers will also have access to players from the Kimberley region

Adelaide
Metropolitan – Central District, Glenelg, North Adelaide, Sturt
Regional – North Adelaide country zone (Northern), Woodville-West Torrens country zone, APY Lands – East (Kenmore, Fregon, Mimili and Indulkana)

Port Adelaide
Metropolitan – Norwood, Woodville-West Torrens, South Adelaide, West Adelaide
Regional – Woodville-West Torrens country zone (Yorke Peninsula), Woodville-West Torrens country zone, APY Lands – West (Ernabella, Amata, Murputja and Pipalyatjara)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.all-athletics.com/node/1074501
Kai PUDNEY
aus.gif

Born: 2000

Personal Bests
Event
Result Venue............. Date
400m 50.01 Adelaide (AUS) 29.10.2016
800m 1:53.26 Adelaide (AUS) 17.03.2017

Season's Bests
Event
Result Venue............. Date
400m 51.97 Adelaide (AUS) 28.01.2017
800m 1:53.26 Adelaide (AUS) 17.03.2017

This kid has some serious speed. To run 50 flat as a 16 year old puts him in elite junior u/16 400m Australian history. 50 flat makes the U/18 national finals and just misses out on the U/20 final.

Edit I have assumed that 50 flat was electronic timed not hand timed. I did a bit of checking and not many guys have broken 50 seconds who are 15 years and x months old. Many guys who were 16 and x months old have broken 49 seconds and a few guys have broken 48.

That 1.54.40 was at this years u/18 national championships in late March and he may be have been 17, and he finished 4th and his time is inside top 10 recorded by the current u/18 group. He didn't run the 400m at nationals. His 800m time would have got him into the U/20 finals. U/18 boys national champs results at
http://athhistory.sportstg.com/aust_tf_jnr/u18tf_m_2016-17.htm
I completely forgot I looked up Kai's athletic profile in late June. Good another 400m runner, just like Riley Bonner. As I recently wrote about Bonner the desired athletic profile of an AFL footballer has changed over the last decade, from an 800m/1,500m runner to a 400m runner who has speedendurance rather than speed and endurance.

Last edited:

As I said in our thread:

The Zone was a success and yes.... 'the more things change the more they stay the same'....AFL thinking 'why don't we have zones, oh no we used to have them, why don't we call them 'Next Gen Academies' instead....lol
Zones where a club could devote $'s, time and resources with at least being able to draft players as is the current practice, should have always been in place.
Not just for the benefit of the non football states. Hell the Riverina has produces VFL/AFL players for years.

Honestly? Why the **** do we even bother? Vic clubs, under the commanding hand of the afl (zeee white boyzz yaah!) Carve up every inch of this country in zones for,( wait for it.......thats right, quotatiom marks!) "Multicultural and indigenous?" Zones. Long live queen god and ******s.

Article is from 2015, but shows Martin has been tracking along nicely. Pretty sure he backed it up last year with another MVP but unable to find anything online.

http://sanfl.com.au/afl-u15-diversity-results/
South Australia’s Martin Frederick, from the Portland Football Club, was named tournament MVP of the All-Nations dvision as well as SA’s MVP.
http://sanfl.com.au/afl-u15-diversity-results/

Hopefully the club is keeping an eye on his brother too...

Dylan Kleinig invited to Port Adelaide’s Elite Talent Next Generation Academy
The Victor Harbor senior colt, captain of the Great Southern under 15 association team and part of the school’s AFL Academy Program, Dylan is a sporting talent, who has been recognised by the Port Adelaide Football Club.
“I had the opportunity to train at the AFL club’s training centre at Alberton Oval and it was a fantastic experience,” Dylan said.
The whole program is all about what it takes to get to the next level AFL. I’m really excited for the challenges that are coming up and am grateful at having the opportunity to take part in this academy and training at Port Adelaide,” Dylan said.
More..
http://www.victorharbortimes.com.au/story/4865258/dylan-has-power-at-elite-footy/
upload_2017-11-7_14-44-18.png

See the Power aboriginal academy put on a next generation carnival Friday and Saturday.
Teams from Kooniba ( Ceduna ) , Mallee Park ( Port Lincoln) , Narrunga ( Yorke Peninsula ) , Raukan ( Muuray Bridge / Meningie ) and Kaurna ( Adelaide )
Mallee Park won from Narrunga .
I'd like to see smaller academies set up in these regional centres to try and help the kids stay on the straight and narrow . We haven't had an elite player from Mallee Park for example since Lindsay Thomas whereas the bloodlines are great with the Burgoynes , Johncocks , Picketts, etc etc . Getting the most talented kids into a pathway from about 12 years old would be most beneficial in my humble opinion.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Port Adelaide's Next Generation Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back