News Port Adelaide's Next Generation Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel you, played my junior footy as a ruckman and i'm 5'10. One of the cruelest days of my life was the orthodontist x-raying my wrist and telling me I was in my last 1-2% of growth at 13.

I also think starting tall isn't perfect preparation for an elite athlete. You want to start shorter, build up the skills of a smaller player then shoot up late in your teens, aka the Warren Tredrea method, U18 AA on the wing before growing to KPF size.
Agreed I was playing in an Under 17 comp at 14 years old playing full forward or centre half forward getting smacked around by bigger bodies. Any chance of going further was finished between losing enthusiasm for the game and a really shit coach.

At the time it was expected that I would be 6'8 like a few of my relatives.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Snoop Dogg Reaction GIF

The Cochranes are currently part of Adelaides NGA

Highlighting yet again the absurdity of AFL decisions. Like James Borlase.

If we were a Victorian club they would be bending the rules of time and space to accommodate us.

I feel you, played my junior footy as a ruckman and i'm 5'10. One of the cruelest days of my life was the orthodontist x-raying my wrist and telling me I was in my last 1-2% of growth at 13.

I also think starting tall isn't perfect preparation for an elite athlete. You want to start shorter, build up the skills of a smaller player then shoot up late in your teens, aka the Warren Tredrea method, U18 AA on the wing before growing to KPF size.

My lad is 183cm and turned 13 in March... Wrist X-Ray suggesting he'll get to 194cm

Elite runner for his size on the footy oval currently, but gee whiz he's a baby giraffe sometimes. Definitely yet to grow into his body.

The Cochranes are currently part of Adelaides NGA
As part of the Elite SANFL Talent NGA and because they are Centrals players. They have no draft rights to them.

Both Port and the Crows as part of the deal with the SANFL, get kids between 14 and 18 and give them higher level training.

Port are aligned with WWT, SA, WA and Norwood, Crows are aligned with NA, Sturt, Glenelg and Centrals.

Its why South Adelaide's Will Verrall was in our Elite SANFL Talent NGA. we had no draft rights to him and Melbourne drafted him as a rookie in the December 2022 Rookie Draft. The same with the Cochrane boys current status.

Here is Port's page about our Elite SANFL Talent NGA

Port Adelaide's Elite Talent Next Generation Academy is comprised of the most talented male footballers from the club's aligned SANFL clubs.

This program takes training to the next level, hones athlete awareness around elite behaviours, nutrition, strength and conditioning, goal setting and skill development.

The main aims of the Academy are to:
  • Improve fundamental skills and understanding of AFL training expectation
  • Give an insight in the AFL system and the physical requirement to become State League and AFL players
  • Educate on physical preparation and injury prevention
  • players work with AFL development coaches and recruiters to enhance their skills and craft from talented footballers into draft potentials.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Port Adelaide's Next Generation Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back