News Port Adelaide's Next Generation Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Even if Stuey establishes that he has indigenous heritage, i thought our indigenous NGA was just for training purposes, and we didn’t actually get priority access to the kids?
We get access to country indigenous NGA kids in our zones.

There has been some talk that city kids night be included

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Benny was just a state combine invite though right? Suggests there isn’t a heap of interest or people are consigned to him being at port so aren’t putting in the time and effort.

Still feel like he should get to us as a cat B.

What we choose to do with the father sons will be very interesting. Burgoyne cousins, Monty, Francou - do we just take Rome and Monty? Do we create space for them all? Are they good enough for main draft or do we plan for them as rookies?

Benny's season over with a 14 touch final game in the reserves.
And 8 tackles. Seriously impressive tackler. Averaged 18 disposals and 6 tackles a game and he played majority as a high half forward.

Benny was just a state combine invite though right? Suggests there isn’t a heap of interest or people are consigned to him being at port so aren’t putting in the time and effort.

What we choose to do with the father sons will be very interesting. Burgoyne cousins, Monty, Francou - do we just take Rome and Monty? Do we create space for them all? Are they good enough for main draft or do we plan for them as rookies?

If possible, my guess is Barrett goes in the ND, and the 3 F/S go in as rookie. Should pick up all of them imo as there's something to work with

Depends on our draft hand.
They're all nice kids with a bit of ability but nobody is demanding a spot.
Rome went OK today 19 possessions and a goal in The Eagles under 18s semi final.

Montgomery is showing a bit.

Think they're all rookies with plenty to prove.

Depends on our draft hand.
They're all nice kids with a bit of ability but nobody is demanding a spot.
Rome went OK today 19 possessions and a goal in The Eagles under 18s semi final.

Montgomery is showing a bit.

Think they're all rookies with plenty to prove.
The funny thing about this is, I think Francou fits a long term need in a big bodied midfielder but it sounds like we may not draft him.

The northern states clubs have always been the priority for the AFL, and now with Tasmania joining in a few years. I would think the chances of the AFL showing discretion and ruling in favour of Port re the Cochrane issue, would be precisely zero.

The northern states clubs have always been the priority for the AFL, and now with Tasmania joining in a few years. I would think the chances of the AFL showing discretion and ruling in favour of Port re the Cochrane issue, would be precisely zero.

We were completely screwed over with Borlase (spud but not the point)

This kid will be as good for Port Adelaide as any kid we are likely to draft in the next decade.

You explore every possible angle that gets him here.

What are the schools and universities like in Tasmania? Doesn't exactly sound like a place you want a kid finishing their education after you've uprooted an 18 year old from home?

There's got to be an angle that has the AFL saying this isn't worth the fight if they don't want to be reasonable.

I would hope Port have thought something out.

What are the schools and universities like in Tasmania? Doesn't exactly sound like a place you want a kid finishing their education after you've uprooted an 18 year old from home?

There's got to be an angle that has the AFL saying this isn't worth the fight if they don't want to be reasonable.

I would hope Port have thought something out.

They all leave school at 15 in Tasmania - or leave Tasmania.

The funny thing about this is, I think Francou fits a long term need in a big bodied midfielder but it sounds like we may not draft him.

Why on earth not, and what makes you think we won’t draft him ? Sounds like a replacement for wines.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Why on earth not, and what makes you think we won’t draft him ? Sounds like a replacement for wines.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
The fact that he wasnt in the SANFL side on trial while even Ky did (who we definitely won't draft) and also I think he hasn't been invited to the state combine?

Mind you I would draft him over Montgomery and Rome Burgoyne purely based on needs

Stuart Cochrane always looked like he had a bit of Aboriginal in him 🤔 but looks can be deceiving.

Stuart Cochrane always looked like he had a bit of Aboriginal in him but looks can be deceiving.

There's a fair bit somewhere in the family.

29bbaf1c311ec56f25554027a2c560b9.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bill Cochrane had outstanding athletic ablity.
Could play any position on the ground including ruck. Douglas is very much Billy.
Excuse my ignorance, who is Bill?

Central Districts and South Australian footballer, Stu’s uncle.

Last edited:
They all leave school at 15 in Tasmania - or leave Tasmania.
Not quiet all but there was a story on 7.30 last week that only 50% of Tassie kids complete year 12.

Former Port Adelaide and North Melbourne player Stuart Cochrane has written to the AFL to have his sons Douglas and Tom be a part of the Power's NGA system as he explores his Indigenous background.

Tom is eligible for this year's draft while Douglas was the standout player of the under-16s carnival and is considered a No.1 pick contender in 2026. They are expected to have provisional access to be a part of the NGA development program but any decision on draft access to the pair has not been made. – Callum Twomey

Centrals is aligned to the crows, and neither sides get access to metro ngas (another way we get ripped off by having different rules to the Vics)

This isn’t about getting access to him for the draft imo. There’s no way anyone would let that happen. The crows, the sanfl, the afl.

This would have to be about getting his boys into our academy and an elite talent pathway and access to coaching and training.

Centrals is aligned to the crows, and neither sides get access to metro ngas (another way we get ripped off by having different rules to the Vics)

This isn’t about getting access to him for the draft imo. There’s no way anyone would let that happen. The crows, the sanfl, the afl.

This would have to be about getting his boys into our academy and an elite talent pathway and access to coaching and training.
Yea spot on.

I wonder if it creates a pull to get him back?

And I guess we can hope that the AFL lets him through to us?

Also does it make Tommy more like to be drafted by Port?

Remove this Banner Ad

News Port Adelaide's Next Generation Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back