Port Adelaide's plan to use jumpers similar to Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Regardless of anyone's opinion or feelings on the matter, posters on here need to realize that legality trumps all when it comes to IP and branding. Port Adelaide signed an agreement in 1996, upon entering the AFL, that stated teal would be their colour, and that they couldn't infringe on Collingwood's existing IP by importing their existing black and white wharf pylon jumper, due to the similarities it had with the Collingwood jumper.

Doesn't matter how you feel about that, what position is morally correct in your mind - that's the legality of it. AFL holds the rights to the trademarks, and Port Adelaide have now been told that their request to amend the agreement for Showdowns, has been denied this year.

As I've said before, if we entered in 1996 and wanted to wear navy blue and white whilst Carlton already existed, I daresay we would be in the exact same position if we were trying to wear the hoops now. Only reason we both get to wear the same colours, is because Carlton is basically predominantly navy blue, with just the logo being white (they're known as the Blues), and we as a club have an even spread of navy blue and white hoops. It's the same reason why North was able to wear royal blue and white, as they were vertical stripes, not horizontal (which would have been very similar and may have caused issues down the track).

Whether or not you agree/disagree that the AFL is being stupid compared to other codes in the world, is being insular, is being unfair, is irrelevant. The IP is Collingwood's, as was agreed upon in 1996. Can't just change that 25 years later because you wish it to be so.

It's the same dumb reason that the Grand Final is scheduled to be at the MCG until 2057 - it's unfair and it's pretty archaic. It's also the same reason why we don't get to play home finals in Geelong, whilst Gold Coast, Sydney, Brisbane and GWS, all get to play games at their own grounds - not state home grounds - there is no reason and it's all about protecting their interests/bottom line.

The sooner people accept that, the sooner we can all move on.

the only similarity are the colours black and white...

Hahaha.. yeah... lets just ignore that little issue of the stripes thingy!.. dont meantion that..

oh, but let me guess... the port guernsey stripes go white/black/white/black/white/black etc whereas the collingwood guernsey goes
black/white/black/white/black/white etc..

its a huge difference in the scheme of things!..
Why the **** does it matter though? Every major sporting league around the world has uniforms that look similar. This is the dumbest argument of all time, no matter which way you look at this it affects no one but the Port Adelaide Football Club. Collingwood will not be financially impacted in the slightest!!!!!!!!!!!

Open Pyramid League System with hundreds of teams. Of course there will be a bit of doubling up

And yet they cope.

Are the posters who can't grasp this concept saying they're dumber than English Football fans?

What interests me from an outside perspective is that Port are slowly taking teal away from their identity. Personally I love the teal and would love to see Port fully embrace it. I think them slowly going away from that original identity they created when they entered the Afl (Black, white and Teal) is being seen as a threat by Eddie and some Collingwood fans

Regardless of anyone's opinion or feelings on the matter, posters on here need to realize that legality trumps all when it comes to IP and branding. Port Adelaide signed an agreement in 1996, upon entering the AFL, that stated teal would be their colour, and that they couldn't infringe on Collingwood's existing IP by importing their existing black and white wharf pylon jumper, due to the similarities it had with the Collingwood jumper.

Doesn't matter how you feel about that, what position is morally correct in your mind - that's the legality of it. AFL holds the rights to the trademarks, and Port Adelaide have now been told that their request to amend the agreement for Showdowns, has been denied this year.

As I've said before, if we entered in 1996 and wanted to wear navy blue and white whilst Carlton already existed, I daresay we would be in the exact same position if we were trying to wear the hoops now. Only reason we both get to wear the same colours, is because Carlton is basically predominantly navy blue, with just the logo being white (they're known as the Blues), and we as a club have an even spread of navy blue and white hoops.

Whether or not you agree/disagree that the AFL is being stupid compared to other codes in the world, is being insular, is being unfair, is irrelevant. The IP is Collingwood's, as was agreed upon in 1996. Can't just change that 25 years later because you wish it to be so.

It's the same dumb reason that the Grand Final is scheduled to be at the MCG until 2057 - it's unfair and it's pretty archaic. It's also the same reason why we don't get to play home finals in Geelong, whilst Gold Coast, Sydney, Brisbane and GWS, all get to play games at their own grounds - not state home grounds - there is no reason and it's all about protecting their interests/bottom line.

The sooner people accept that, the sooner we can all move on.
That's the point we're not moving on, this is the hill every Port supporter I know is willing to die on.

What interests me from an outside perspective is that Port are slowly taking teal away from their identity. Personally I love the teal and would love to see Port fully embrace it. I think them slowly going away from that original identity they created when they entered the Afl (Black, white and Teal) is being seen as a threat by Eddie and some Collingwood fans

Silver is also one of our colours (has been since our inception into the AFL) and that predominantly features in our clash guernsey.

the only similarity are the colours black and white...

Hahaha.. yeah... lets just ignore that little issue of the stripes thingy!.. dont meantion that..

oh, but let me guess... the port guernsey stripes go white/black/white/black/white/black etc whereas the collingwood guernsey goes
black/white/black/white/black/white etc..

its a huge difference in the scheme of things!..
Do you honestly not see the differences here? I wouldn't think that it would become a full-time outfit, and obviously NEVER against Collingwood, but stop being deliberately obtuse.
Port Pies.png

You’re making a pretty wild (and totally in appropriate if I’m being honest) comparison there.

Port have been wearing and playing in the Prison Bars since 1902 and the AFL fully knew that when they first approached Port to join the national competition.

Being told that port can’t sell that jumper (which also happened to be the highest grossing item by any AFL club last year, despite being produced in limited numbers) is beyond laughable and totally unfair and causes significant damage to the clubs ability to generate revenue.

The Prison Bars are a huge part of Ports history and they have won more premierships in that jumper than any other club has in the AFL and remain the only existing club from outside the VFL to join the national competition.

We haven’t just decided to try change their colours on a whim, we simply want our history respected to be allowed to wear our actual home jumper. You know, just like every other club in the AFL is allowed to.

It’s not restraint of trade.

That’s before we even get into Port seemingly signing an agreement specifically saying they wouldn’t do it.

It was an identity forced upon the club.

It's not like "No AFL, we won't do this so we can enter the league" was an option. They would have just let Norwood join.

That's the point we're not moving on, this is the hill every Port supporter I know is willing to die on.

So do you and your fellow brethren just want it for Showdowns or is the larger goal to have it incorporated as your main guernsey? Because I've now been told both versions are correct

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The whole argument from Eddie's side is a load of twaddle. Other leagues/sports have teams with similar guernseys and one team just wears a clash jumper.
Easy as that.
Collingwood themselves wore a white jumper with a black chevron when playing against Swan Districts in 1982, and even played a game in their normal strip against Port Adelaide back in 1990(?). They weren't exactly happy about it but the game went on regardless. Pretty sure you just look at the shorts and socks in that case.

Also, I really want Port to do another run of their Prison bar heritage jumper as I really want one.

It's not like "No AFL, we won't do this so we can enter the league" was an option. They would have just let Norwood join.

Regardless of whether you feel it was forced, you still signed the agreement.

You might feel pressured to sign a loan agreement by a pushy mortgage broker - doesn't mean the agreement itself becomes invalid if you no longer want to abide by it.

Apart from the sponsor on the sash, that is pretty much identical to Richmond's top.
There are enough differences on the two prison bar tops, that even a colour blind person could tell them apart.
Collingwood are just being entitled pricks about it. Freo use to wear a red and white heritage jumper for 1 game a year and the Swans didn't kick up a stink. There were only so many colours and designs they could come up with back in the day so no wonder they use similar things in different parts of the country 100 years ago.

1 game a year, who cares. They might even see a team wearing Black and White win for once.

So the dilemma was lose some of your identity to join the afl or keep it but one of your rivals takes your spot?

That is a bit archaic and prejudice. How would you suggest it gets amended now? (Genuinely curious)

There are clear similarities between the Carlton and GWS tops. There are also clear differences.
There are clear similarities between the Pies and Port tops. There are also clear differences.

As a Carlton supporter, I love the history of our jumper. I also have no issue with the GWS being very very similar. I don't care how often they wear it, but obviously not against us.
I see no issue with Port wearing the prison bars 3-4 times a season, for home games, but obviously not against Pies.
It's the biggest non-issue.
Not to mention when the Brisbane Bears first joined their colours were identical to Hawthorn's. Also, Adelaide & Fitzroy shared the same colour scheme for six years.

Do you honestly not see the differences here? I wouldn't think that it would become a full-time outfit, and obviously NEVER against Collingwood, but stop being deliberately obtuse.
View attachment 1114117
Oh I see it now.. i had it around the wrong way..

its not ports guernsey stripes that go white/black/white/black/white/black etc its collingwood’s guernsey!...

Thats a massive difference.. my bad!..

If you go to our home games and see our club rooms, teal is a huge part of our identity. We're not walking away from it at all.

You realise most hardcore footy fans in Melbourne have either Foxtel or Kayo right? We don't get all 22 of our team's games shown free on Channel 7 each year like you.
Most hardcore footy fans know Port Adelaide’s famous jumper is the prison bars, and most hardcore fans want to see them wear it.

If you go to our home games and see our club rooms, teal is a huge part of our identity. We're not walking away from it at all.

As a fan who doesn't devoutly follow Port, the only real time I see them is when they play. I've seen the amount of teal on their jumpers decrease over the past couple of years and have made that assumption. I also think a lot of casuals (And Collingwood fans) are in the same boat as me and have made the same assumption. Definitely will stick around on the broadcast for the next home Port game

Oh I see it now.. i had it around the wrong way..

its not ports guernsey stripes that go white/black/white/black/white/black etc its collingwood’s guernsey!...

Thats a massive difference.. my bad!..
You could have just said 'I'd prefer to stay deliberately obtuse'.

It’s about time AFL put their foot down. Port have been increasingly taking the piss the further down the track we get.

While they are at it, time to sort out the ridiculous kit clashes going on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Port Adelaide's plan to use jumpers similar to Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Back