Win Prizes Port, Pies & Saints 2024 Death Ride

Remove this Banner Ad

There are some rule changes, as it's my baby and there has been some... disappointing opinions in here. The thread is for cheering on picks, you deathride or you have civil conversations in the non-freo thread.

**** Port, **** Pies, **** Saints!!!!

Last edited:
I will literally go against my thread and have Port win if it means Hawks losing and I dont have to read 6 months of crying about them
GIF by Warner Archive

You were so close.

I will literally go against my thread and have Port win if it means Hawks losing and I dont have to read 6 months of crying about them
No mate , the death ride rules are crystal clear ,enshrined like the 2nd amendment.

You will be cheering on hokball next week and you will like it

Hawks are going to get Ken sacked next week. Reckon they break them in the 2nd quarter and do them by 60+

reasons mona GIF

Yeah I’m also not seeing a downside to a hawks win against Port.

We end up with 14, and with every win the Hawks get the Barrass pick gets worse for West Coast.

Snuffaluphagus needs a good hard look at himself

I feel like Port losing will offer up another outcome other than the death ride. Hawks will think they are so close and throw everything at topping up rather than finishing the list off for long term.

Their run will be shorter, cap tighter & the challenge will come. Teams will pick apart their game plan with more time. I think we match up well with them too if we have Darcy playing to combat Meek.

Honestly can't think of a worse matchup for Port, who are clearly mentally ****ed. The Hawks are the exact opposite. All the Hawks have to do to win is let the Power know its going to be a grind and they'll just fold like they do in all tough finals.

I bet if you could read the Port players minds, most would already think they've lost.

Honestly can't think of a worse matchup for Port, who are clearly mentally ****ed. The Hawks are the exact opposite. All the Hawks have to do to win is let the Power know its going to be a grind and they'll just fold like they do in all tough finals.

I bet if you could read the Port players minds, most would already think they've lost.
They will if Butters doesn’t play. I assume Kenny will push him out in a wheel chair if the AFL let him just for the mental battle.

I recon the 2nd worst matchup would have been the Dogs 😂

They will if Butters doesn’t play. I assume Kenny will push him out in a wheel chair if the AFL let him just for the mental battle.

I recon the 2nd worst matchup would have been the Dogs 😂
I don't think it matters if Butters plays.

The Port players have the worst 4 final stretch in history in their minds and a coach that literally tried to partially absolve himself of the responsibility for the flogging in his presser.

I think the only chance Port has is to come out of the blocks, kick ridiculously straight and get 7-8 goals up early.

Dogs record at AO this year is terrible, Hawks much better there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah the hawks game style is absolute cryptonite to port , especially right now.
Let alone the mental aspect to the match up .

The hawks ability to run and run hard easily matches with ports strength but it’s the their ability to pressure and turnover game that will torch port in the end

Even port players coming out fired up and attacking contests with zeal could end up being a negative with the way (granted sickening) the hawks have been coached to drop the knees/lead with the head basically on a team wide scale

Yeah I’m also not seeing a downside to a hawks win against Port.

We end up with 14, and with every win the Hawks get the Barrass pick gets worse for West Coast.

Snuffaluphagus needs a good hard look at himself
I hate this so much, Hawthorn is probably the third most hated team for Freo supporters behind Eagles and Carlton. You are right though, a Hawks win is better for us. It helps that they play a fun brand of footy.

I hate this so much, Hawthorn is probably the third most hated team for Freo supporters behind Eagles and Carlton. You are right though, a Hawks win is better for us. It helps that they play a fun brand of footy.
Do they pay a "fun brand of footy"? I'm thinking that's most pushed by Vicco media hype I'm inclined to avoid being drawn into. Don't they play very similar to any number of teams, slowing down at times then use momentum to run with it in numbers?

It seems to me they have also pinched a fair dose of the game plan Longmire brought out against us over the past few years, where they push hard boundary side especially up the field. Then try disrupt defensive structures with the angles and small ball travelling into the forward zone.

Do they pay a "fun brand of footy"? I'm thinking that's most pushed by Vicco media hype I'm inclined to avoid being drawn into. Don't they play very similar to any number of teams, slowing down at times then use momentum to run with it in numbers?

It seems to me they have also pinched a fair dose of the game plan Longmire brought out against us over the past few years, where they push hard boundary side especially up the field. Then try disrupt defensive structures with the angles and small ball travelling into the forward zone.
I think they play a brand of footy that is really enjoyable to watch. They’re clearly enjoying themselves, and their social media team is absolutely top notch.

It’s annoying because I want to dislike them, but I don’t any more.

I think they play a brand of footy that is really enjoyable to watch. They’re clearly enjoying themselves, and their social media team is absolutely top notch.

It’s annoying because I want to dislike them, but I don’t any more.
I think their celebrations are more than a tad forced and/or they've been watching too much Netflix sports-hype "docos" like The Receivers. Essentially they're over-celebrators and somehow the media has been sucked in to thinking it's some virtue. But hey, that just might be my cynicism (not a chance).

Look I'll definitely be first in the line to do some fuzzy spooning of Hawkfawn if this time next year, with a harder draw and more scrutiny from other teams, they're doing the same things. Right now I think everything has gone their way in the latter stages of the year, including a draw we could never dream of having, not only for it's juiciness, but no small factors in continuity with place and timing.

I though they'd get picked apart next year, but I'm thinking they're actually a really solid team. Meek has added some serious grunt into the ruck for them, Chol is a warhorse that allows Dear to play more freely (he's a gun), and Sicily marshalls the back well. Add elite smalls, contest and running power, and that's a tough outfit. We gave them a really good run, and I believe we would've won with Darcy negating/getting over Meek, so think we have the means to beat them moving forward. I think Geelong match up well on them, and would overpower them in the middle, then Stengle, Cameron et al can get to work against their defense, which is arguably their biggest weak spot (benefits a lot from up the ground pressure). Adding Barass and Battle helps them take another leap I think. Should take care of Port fairly easily I'd say, which opens up Bolton & Warner for sure.

I though they'd get picked apart next year, but I'm thinking they're actually a really solid team. Meek has added some serious grunt into the ruck for them, Chol is a warhorse that allows Dear to play more freely (he's a gun), and Sicily marshalls the back well. Add elite smalls, contest and running power, and that's a tough outfit. We gave them a really good run, and I believe we would've won with Darcy negating/getting over Meek, so think we have the means to beat them moving forward. I think Geelong match up well on them, and would overpower them in the middle, then Stengle, Cameron et al can get to work against their defense, which is arguably their biggest weak spot (benefits a lot from up the ground pressure). Adding Barass and Battle helps them take another leap I think. Should take care of Port fairly easily I'd say, which opens up Bolton & Warner for sure.
Mitchell has definitely done a good job on structuring them up. I just think they've had the ideal run in to operate at full throttle. I also think they're not to far away from a reality check.

Potentially so many of them are operating at their ceiling at the moment. Chol, Meek, Moore, MacDonald, D'Ambrosio... I feel most players can hit A/B grade levels at some point in their careers, it's just how long?

Mitchell has definitely done a good job on structuring them up. I just think they've had the ideal run in to operate at full throttle. I also think they're not to far away from a reality check.

Potentially so many of them are operating at their ceiling at the moment. Chol, Meek, Moore, MacDonald, D'Ambrosio... I feel most players can hit A/B grade levels at some point in their careers, it's just how long?
Isnt that just a sign of a good coach?

The real benefit of Hawks winning next week is not just the draft picks for us.

It’s exposing the much spoken about myth amongst a (thankfully diminishing) portion of freo fans that we are still tracking just fine with JL over the last few years, that we are too young to expect to contend and that our players aren’t quite mature enough or good enough for us fans to expect to be playing finals.

If ours aren’t, how come Hawthorns are?
Maybe a bit more scrutiny and expectation might be placed on our performances as a club in light of a team that was very clearly well behind us in their rebuild, and now appear to be leaving us in their rear view mirror.

One example from last night - the way they systematically dismantled Bont with Nash reducing his influence greatly. Let’s be honest here - had it been Bulldogs v Freo last night Bont would have had 35 touches and kicked 3, just like he always seems to destroy us when we play them and we never seem to learn or try anything different 💁🏻‍♂️

Remove this Banner Ad

Win Prizes Port, Pies & Saints 2024 Death Ride

Remove this Banner Ad

Back