Port v Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

Very worried about losing a top 4 spot

Brisbane will be fired up for sending of McGrath and could really trouble us
Plus the 6 day break we have v the 8 day Port has will be killer - all of our losses this season have come after 6 day breaks, with Richmond the only win we have managed off a 6 day break

The game will more than likely just decide whether the 1st Semi Final is going to be played in Adelaide or Perth.

If we beat brissie by 100 points we could still lose to port by a small margin and finish 4th.
Yeah I know, but there is only 1 thing we need to do to guarantee 4th - beat Port. What if we throw everything at Brissy but only come up with a 10 goal win? Or even lose?

Un
It is not 2013. Freo have not won away against a top 4 side this year.

With Fyfe and Barlow out and Freo coming back from a heavy track in Brisbane off a 6 day break, I am tipping Port by 3 goals.

Umm port just played on a 6 day break after a really heavy track in QLD & look what happened? Kinda irrelevant.

Injury and MRP results from the weekend will probably liven this thread up a bit as the weekend goes by. I don't think I'm the only one to be saying next week is like a final in its own right. I actually get to go to this. Mrs Powerstufff wanted a holiday so I chose Perth, who could have known we'd be playing there?

You guys realise Port's sitting 4th at the moment? If Freo loose to Lions, Port can still finish 4th if they loose to Freo next week! If on the other hand, Freo absolutely thrash the Lions, it will be very hard for Port to win by a greater margin.
If Freo wins next week they get fourth spot.
If Port wins % comes into play.

It is not 2013. Freo have not won away against a top 4 side this year.

With Fyfe and Barlow out and Freo coming back from a heavy track in Brisbane off a 6 day break, I am tipping Port by 3 goals.
We didn't beat a Top 4 side away last year until the finals. Anyhow, Port aren't a top 4 side. Against opposition who stifle running games they have no plan b and players like Polec and Gray who thrive on uncontested footy struggle. Freo by 5 goals.

Lost to North Melbourne at Etihad by under two goals.
Lost to Sydney at the SCG by under one goal.
Lost to Essendon at AO by under one goal.
Lost to Collingwood at the MCG, after an outbreak of viral meningitis, by one goal.

Our worst losses were against Sydney, Richmond and Adelaide, and we never lost by more than 6 goals and were in every game up until the last quarter.

So what 'bad losses' are you referring to?
You've had quite a few losses against mediocre opposition. A three point win over Melbourne at home is hardly stellar form either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah it's been a funny season for all teams including Freo and that is why neither the top 4 nor the top 8 will be known until after next week. In many ways that has made it one of the best seasons ever.

wrt our game if I was a Freo supporter I'd be hoping for rain and an idiotic MRP as wet games have been when Port have played shyte this year plus we cannot afford any outs just when the team is starting to gel again after a down period.
Dry deck and an unchanged lineup and Port could easily win and win well.

Lost to North Melbourne at Etihad by under two goals.
Lost to Sydney at the SCG by under one goal.
Lost to Essendon at AO by under one goal.
Lost to Collingwood at the MCG, after an outbreak of viral meningitis, by one goal.

Our worst losses were against Sydney, Richmond and Adelaide, and we never lost by more than 6 goals and were in every game up until the last quarter.

So what 'bad losses' are you referring to?
You've listed them right there. Teams worthy of a top four side don't consistently lose to average opposition.

I'm not clutching at straws. I'm basing my opinion on observation. You can talk about respective scorelines in the home and away season - that is meaningless. Like comparing Priddis's disposal numbers to Robbie Gray's
I have seen Ross Lyon come with specific game plans against much better sides in finals and win. I have not seen Hinkley do this, or Port.

Yeah well its kind of hard when your comparing one experienced coach who has been in the system for multiple years and has experienced numerous finals to a first year coach in his first final series. St Kilda finished top 4 in 2008 in I think which was their first ross lyon coached final series lost the first final and bowed out against the hawks in the prelim. A fair comparison would be if port make top 4 this year; Both hinkley and Lyon are/were in the second year of coaching.

You lost both Times suck it up, you lost by 4 goals at your own home ground LOL

Not quite sure what your LOL-ing at you lost by more at home against north

I'm sh1tting myself... I really am. My head says Port right now as everything has aligned up for them perfectly. But I have a feeling Fremantle can do it, it will be tough. But I think we are a step ahead of Port as a team right now... How we go without 2 of our best players remains to be seen.

If Fremantle finish 5th, you'd hate to be the top four team that loses it's first final and has to face them next. As a Geelong supporter, I'd be very worried about a straight sets exit if Hawthorn knocked us off in week one and we had Fremantle waiting.

Very worried about losing a top 4 spot

Brisbane will be fired up for sending of McGrath and could really trouble us
Plus the 6 day break we have v the 8 day Port has will be killer - all of our losses this season have come after 6 day breaks, with Richmond the only win we have managed off a 6 day break
There are probably freo men in the shadows as we speak deciding if they are going to go hammer and tongs against brisbane, or if a couple of your better players will suddenly 'fall ill'. If you smack Brisbane you can raise your percentage higher than Ports, which provides a buffer in case they do actually beat you next week. On the other hand, tanking will conserve energy and prevent possible injury to you better players.

You won't. Neither will Freo.

Teams don't win premierships from fourth. And Sydney are the clear number 1 side this year. They'll only be challenged by the Hawks.
Geez, now we are down to "race for the top 3"?

Maybe we should start a thread "Cant win a flag if you don't make the GF"

Yeah well its kind of hard when your comparing one experienced coach who has been in the system for multiple years and has experienced numerous finals to a first year coach in his first final series. St Kilda finished top 4 in 2008 in I think which was their first ross lyon coached final series lost the first final and bowed out against the hawks in the prelim. A fair comparison would be if port make top 4 this year; Both hinkley and Lyon are/were in the second year of coaching.
I am going based on coaching philosophies shown so far. Lyon is very much a coach who bases his strategies on the opposition. Hinkley (to me) looks to be the kind of coach who backs in his gameplan regardless of the opponent. Hinkley is very much of the Geelong mould - more assertive footy, less reactive.

Therefore if up against Sydney in the first week of finals, I would imagine Lyon looking to counter Sydney's gameplan as a matter of priority, whereas I see Hinkley backing Port's style to win it. Whether that remains true this finals series, who knows.

Remove this Banner Ad

Port v Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back