Game Day Port v Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Hope young Dougie gets 10 or so games this year under his belt...love his aggression and has a good grab on him

Dougal Howard has now moved up to the best young tall we have. He is athletic, can take a mark and he can kick. Some of his ground work has been impressive for a 199cm player. I also hope Dougal gets a taste of AFL footy this year.

Dougal Howard has now moved up to the best young tall we have. He is athletic, can take a mark and he can kick. Some of his ground work has been impressive for a 199cm player. I also hope Dougal gets a taste of AFL footy this year.
Plus the umpires are already on a first name basis with him even though he has yet to play an AFL game. Future Brownlow medallist.

I think we need to settle down. We didn't break Richmond. Their players could have played through it, Dimma just wanted to sit his best 6 players.

Some thought Lobbe was better, he was rucking against Hampson! And maybe broke even. If you're going to be a liability around the ground (which he is) need to atleast win a decent share of taps against a real ruck. How does he miss a target 15m away by 20 meters? Serious issue.

On current form we'd be better off rucking dougal as #1. He can actually jump and if he loses taps atleast he is useful around the ground

Sorry guys, my diplomatic mission in enemy territory was unsuccessful.

LO13dDh.png

I think we need to settle down. We didn't break Richmond. Their players could have played through it, Dimma just wanted to sit his best 6 players.

Some thought Lobbe was better, he was rucking against Hampson! And maybe broke even. If you're going to be a liability around the ground (which he is) need to atleast win a decent share of taps against a real ruck. How does he miss a target 15m away by 20 meters? Serious issue.

On current form we'd be better off rucking dougal as #1. He can actually jump and if he loses taps atleast he is useful around the ground

Dougal Howard had 10 touches and 7 hit outs against Sydney, and 7 and 3 against Richmond. Do people seriously think he can be a number one AFL ruck at this stage?

Lobbe is far better than his reputation on this board atm, for nothing else than his ability to contest for all game, all season. Ryder has spoiled us.

I do not think Port supporters need to apologise for anything. You should not go out there to call a game off because some of your star players might get hurt. If Richmond were that worried about key players being injured why pick them in the first place? Hardwick's actions were both unsporting and unfair. They were particularly unfair to Port because they robbed us of a tough last quarter.

There is a bit to be said about integrity in major sport. Supporters like a punt on games, sponsors like to have their products advertised for a full 100 minutes, the AFL likes to meet it's contractual obligations to it's telecast partners and opposing clubs have the right to expect the opposition to be dinkum. All that is jeopardised when half way through the last quarter a coach decides he does not want to play anymore. Make no mistake Hardwick would have pulled even more players had he not been stopped by Mark Evans.

That is two games out of our last four in which our supporters have been shafted. Lyon and Freo turned the last minor round of 2015 into a farce and now Dimma decides to do the same thing. Not good enough!

Last edited:
Dougal Howard had 10 touches and 7 hit outs against Sydney, and 7 and 3 against Richmond. Do people seriously think he can be a number one AFL ruck at this stage?

Lobbe is far better than his reputation on this board atm, for nothing else than his ability to contest for all game, all season. Ryder has spoiled us.

There is a lot to like about Dougal Howard but I do not think many of us would suggest the Dougal would be in the side against the Saints. It is a long season and expecting Lobbe to carry the ruck all year is a big ask. Giving Dougal a game or two later in the season would help Lobbe and help Dougal's development.

I agree that Lobbe has ability but if we are to use stats, Matthew's have dropped away since 2014. Lobbe can take a mark but does not do it often enough, two years ago Lobbe was reasonably agile for a big man but now he seems to move at dinosaur pace. I am happy to have Lobbe playing as our first choice ruckman but he has to step up. Lobbe really had no one to beat last Thursday and Kenny's comment about Lobbe getting better as the game went on needs to be tempered with the fact that Hampson was injured and struggled for most of the last quarter. Had that been Ivan Maric out there Matthew may have struggled. That said I give Matthew credit for what he did in 2014 and look forward to him doing the same in 2016.

I do not think Port supporters need to apologise for anything. You should not go out there to call a game off because some of your star players might get hurt. If Richmond were that worried about key players being injured why pick them in the first place? Hardwick's actions were both unsporting and unfair. They were particularly unfair to Port because they robbed us of a tough last quarter.

There is a bit to be said about integrity in major sport. Supporters like a punt on games, sponsors like to have their products advertised for a full 100 minutes, the AFL likes to meet it's contractual obligations to it's telecast partners and opposing clubs have the right to expect the opposition to be dinkum. All that is jeopardised when half way through the last quarter a coach decides he does not want to play anymore. Make no mistake Hardwick would have pulled even more players had he not been stopped by Mark Evans.

That is two games out of our last four in which our supporters have been shafted. Lyon and Freo turned the last minor round of 2015 into a farce and now Dimma decides to do the same thing. Not good enough!
The AFL's response to Dimma will be interesting. I hope it's not the proverbial 'flogged with a wet lettuce'.
Unprofessional is an understatement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The possessions he had were pretty high quality. A couple of good contested clunks and decent physical presence.
Lobbes will always be the number one man this year. But dougs might even be a sneaky round one chance. It would have to be a defender left out.

Howard isn't capable of carrying the ruck for a full season, perhaps not even capable of doing it for a couple of games. But it's clear to see Dougal's skill set will see him be a better ruckman than Lobbe.

If you didn't see the correlation between our form and Lobbe's last year then you missed a large chunk of why were shit. It's because of that reason people are anxious about Lobbe's form this year. His 2014 form will be enough. His 2015 form could sink us. I have no doubt though that Lobbe will bust his arse giving everything he's got. Of that there is no question.

Howard has become a surprising option and it would seem natural that people would want to explore what he can bring to the side. On the evidence so far, he has a lot to offer. But he is raw, he can't battle week in week out but he's shown he is more than competitive enough.

So the conundrum is do we play the bloke who can front up week in week out but is, at best competitive and at worst a liability, or give some opportunities to a young bloke who just had a pre-season that screamed pick me.

If you want to talk about Port supporters being spoiled with ruckman, you should include Lade, Primus and even Brogan in that mix. Where would you slot Lobbe?

Yeah the Lobbe hate is weird. It is both justified by his terrible form but uncalled for given the love shown to Dougal for less statistical output.
Hmm..

I was just flicking through stats of last year and nearly every game Lobbe won the hitouts agaianst his direct opponent. In saying that his impact around the ground was less than average on occasions..

Hmm..

I was just flicking through stats of last year and nearly every game Lobbe won the hitouts agaianst his direct opponent. In saying that his impact around the ground was less than average on occasions..
I like the guy. It's just irritating that a big dude like that doesn't hit the packs hard nor does he impact around the ground enough. I'd love to see him destroy somebody inside 50 for trying to block the hole.

Can we settle on "lobbe is awful but he is all we have got" ?

Pretty sure we can all agree there.

In what way is he awful? Hes an old fashioned ruckman, cant do anything around the ground but gets his hand to it first in ruck..

We've been spolied with having lade brogan and primus in the past..

Atleast he's better than French.

The possessions he had were pretty high quality. A couple of good contested clunks and decent physical presence.
Lobbes will always be the number one man this year. But dougs might even be a sneaky round one chance. It would have to be a defender left out.

As much as I love Jacko I could cope with hi being left out or Jonas for Howard

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day Port v Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Back