Review Port v Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t understand the Lord pile on. He is playing in a system where he is the heir apparent for another bloke that plays from behind. He attacks the ball fiercely and is rarely outmarked. He is 20-21 and played <20 Leauge matches, he is tracking well, would be interesting to see him in another forward setup.

So, the fact that Lord didn't get a touch for half a game and his only goal came from a down field free kick is all the fault of another player? If Ollie's failure to hit the scoreboard is all Charlie Dixon's fault how is it that Ollie has only managed 5 goals in the 5 games in which Dixon has not played?

If you do not understand why many supporters are disappointed in Ollie Lord's performance over the season you do not understand Australian Rules. Players have to contribute and Ollie is not contributing enough and rewarding him with games is simply awarding a gold pass while rewarding mediocrity. How do you get 'attacked the ball well' from Saturday night's performance when even Ken Hinkley had enough and took him off? I am also not sure why anyone would have Ollie down as an 'heir apparent' to Charlie Dixon on the basis of what he has done thus far? You obviously see things differently to some of us on this thread.

No one is saying give up on Ollie just yet but he needs to go back to the SANFL and get the message that he has to contribute more if he wants an AFL career.

The old high press kick-it-to-Dixon gameplan sucks. It's prone to turnovers. Good teams have figured out how to beat it. It's been years with the same gameplan.

Charlie Dixon has not played for four weeks yet we still struggled. It is the game plan that you are pointing to not the player. Mitch Georgiades could be a solution but it would need a different strategy like getting Mitch to lead into space and have players kick the ball accurately to his lead. That actually happened a few times on Saturday and it worked often enough to be persevered with. Of course Ken will not see it that way and nothing will change.

Did you go to the game? Small crowd but Charlie gets huge crowd support, think Dwayne mentioned it in the commentary as did Kath L in her post game. Charlie calls out online trolls not sure if that’s the lifeblood of our club. When I think of our club I think of the families, volunteers, cheer squad and members.
You cant just call someone a "troll" because you disagree with them. People have every right to criticise something thats failing.

The people critical of this regime ARE families, volunteers, cheer squad and members.

So, the fact that Lord didn't get a touch for half a game and his only goal came from a down field free kick is all the fault of another player? If Ollie's failure to hit the scoreboard is all Charlie Dixon's fault how is it that Ollie has only managed 5 goals in the 5 games in which Dixon has not played?

If you do not understand why many supporters are disappointed in Ollie Lord's performance over the season you do not understand Australian Rules. Players have to contribute and Ollie is not contributing enough and rewarding him with games is simply awarding a gold pass while rewarding mediocrity. How do you get 'attacked the ball well' from Saturday night's performance when even Ken Hinkley had enough and took him off? I am also not sure why anyone would have Ollie down as an 'heir apparent' to Charlie Dixon on the basis of what he has done thus far? You obviously see things differently to some of us on this thread.

No one is saying give up on Ollie just yet but he needs to go back to the SANFL and get the message that he has to contribute more if he wants an AFL career.
I’m not blaming Dixon, I am blaming the game plan and system in which a 20 year old developing forward plays in. His best footy has been leading up at the footy, however it looks like a directive to bring the ball to ground/not to allow intercept marks. Even Walsh in the twos was looking to defend Skinner at Full Forward opposed to hitting up at the foot

Fair enough but that does not excuse Ollie's under achievement. As I mentioned in another post Mitch Georgiades was able to lead into space on a couple of occasions and marked on his chest last Saturday so the alternative that you allude to can happen, but the players have to make it happen.

I do not see Ollie Lord as a replacement for Charlie Dixon as he doesn't possess Charlie's 200cm x 110kg physique. We would be much better served preparing for life after Charlie Dixon and developing a game plan that incorporates leading forwards like Georgiades and Ollie Lord if he is up to it. In the meantime Ollie goes back to the SANFL where he works on his game.

What am I saying? We all know that under Hinkley that is unlikely to happen as Ken will simply attempt to substitute Lord for Dixon within the same old game plan.

He’s not there yet but Esava is quickly racking up a Jasper Pittard like bloopers reel…

Culture destroying attitude?

How?
Apparently in the footy record this weekend he said the best part of football is the money and he wishes he didn't have to play so much football.

I'm sure you're fine with that though, cuck.

Mm

File Dixon’s game in the same file with James hardens 40 point games. Dixon got his goals but our forward line was entirely dysfunctional and reliant on Herculean efforts to come off to score.

He had a return to form but honestly we’re far worse off for it as a team. This shit failed when he was good, it’s not gonna fly now he’s cooked.

He got his goals last night by standing under and taking some strong contested marks while that all-time bad Richmond defense spectated and not one of them remotely tried to help Balta cover Dixon. He’s not going to be that lucky versus other teams. Coming off and helping other defenders as 3rd / 4th man up is literally most defenders happy place. They’ll do it all day long and if we’re dumb enough to play that way against any team not called Richmond we will get murdered.

It’s not sustainable even if dixon was suddenly good again, much less in this reality were we know that was a rested Dixon trying to prove us wrong and he will return to regular 2024 programming.

Not sure why you’re comparing a 20yr old kf we drafted at pick 50 something to a dude we traded a first and 2nd rounder for and have paid a mint through his prime.

If we buy a Corolla for $5k, and it doesn’t turn out to be the same car as the rav4 we spent 50k on, the Corolla isn’t junk. You got a bargain.

Against a horrid tigers side we really lacked movement and targets across that half forward

Not sure how that’s a negative in this case. Lord is a big bruiser, I think him showing he can get goals another way is a positive.

We went through Dixon probably 3x as much as we went through Mitch, if not more. Mitch was incredibly efficient with his opportunities last night.

Walters is a massive beast of a lad drafted in the top 3 and the last 2 games he has a combined 7d 0 goals.

Plenty of young kfs aren’t dominant straight away.

Lol carn. Dixon has had years of spraying easy shots at goal in big moments, it’s a massive part of his legacy that he’s failed in big moments. I think it’s symptomatic of the bigger picture but gee, to level this accusation at Todd after praising Dixon for a nothing game against the bottom team with Dixon’s history is hilarious.

Lol. Esava failed at Geelong , a much better organised forward line and team and they moved him back then sold that lemon to us.

For all the reasons why he is a poor defender those things are going to be magnified in the forward line, which is infinitely harder to play.

All moving him forward would do is make us worse, and give us less chance to develop actual kfs. Not too mention how likely he is to just barrel through his own team yes so they can watch the opposition score while they’re injured on the ground.
He provides a big athletic body we need to take advantage off, it is up to the Coaches to improve his lack of football nous, like stop kicking it across goal.

Apparently in the footy record this weekend he said the best part of football is the money and he wishes he didn't have to play so much football.

Calling someone a cuck who has a Dixon opinion other than your own seems to be in vogue for you lately. Is it on your word of the month calendar?

Its pathetic and amusing (in a masturbating with a cheesgrater sort of way) that a poster who is all riled up about Dixon insulting the fans would then go about getting all keyboard warrior cyberbully on a fellow fan whose opinion differs from his own.

If you would kindly display a screenshot or even provide the page that these quotes can be found on that would be super.

If you would kindly display a screenshot or even provide the page that these quotes can be found on that would be super.
Posted by RossFC originally, if you want to call him a liar you're welcome to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Calling someone a cuck who has a Dixon opinion other than your own seems to be in vogue for you lately. Is it on your word of the month calendar?

Its pathetic and amusing (in a masturbating with a cheesgrater sort of way) that a poster who is all riled up about Dixon insulting the fans would then go about getting all keyboard warrior cyberbully on a fellow fan whose opinion differs from his own.
I read it as Chuck

sacB6HM.jpg

I know Charlie is not flavour of the month around here atm, but I think some are just looking for one more reason to pot him. The bit about playing 16 games a season - how often has it been said on here that it would be a fairer competition if all teams played each other once instead of some getting a leg up because they get to play north/west coast twice etc.

I'm tipping that if most other players had come up with some of these answers it would all have been taken as a bit of fun and been forgotten five minutes later.

Why the put downs mate? What’s wrong mate?

I like a lot of your comments and take you on face value.

Go back and look at mine. I may not be the most astute strategic observer but I know passion and a hard edge when I see it and Dixon brings it in spades and always has done. ✅

It isn’t his fault that our coaching hasn’t been astute enough to maximise his presence in the forward 50.

I’m sure if I was 115kg and limping every other week I probably wouldn’t enjoy every moment of my footy either.

Have you seen the article and in full context? You say apparently which makes me think not.

lol this is it

A two bit piece that isn’t an interview but a few throw away lines put together by some poor content creator smashing this thing out weekly from footy players who have to do this stuff as part of their contractural obligations.

It’s a total joke taking anything serious from this piece.

He doesn’t like football. But, then again, he’s a Queenslander. Not really surprising.

(By the way, this is not an issue per se. For instance, Jokic doesn’t seem to be a basketball fan and he’s still one of the best players nowadays.)

Does anyone have Dixon’s average games played per season? Would it be close to 16 games?

lol this is it

A two bit piece that isn’t an interview but a few throw away lines put together by some poor content creator smashing this thing out weekly from footy players who have to do this stuff as part of their contractural obligations.

It’s a total joke taking anything serious from this piece.
I'm going the other way.

Most people would take it seriously. I mean Dixon knows that people will read it and think about him in a certain way because of it. It's not hard to put in a bit of effort and give good responses at all.

To say that the best thing about footy is cash is not the best. As mentioned, there are a few red flags there. Not even going to mention the Jets fan part.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Port v Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Back