Port WTF is going on?

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Re: Re: Port WTF is going on?

Originally posted by MarkT
All contrary to your own thoughts prior to the trade "breakdown" when you were looking for quality rather than more flankers or average midfielders.
Precisely. Why trade quality players for part-time duds when we can draft them for free if we want them? RFK and Mahoney have no currency as trades.

As I have said all along though, I'm happy with the picks given Stevens is a midfielder. He may be, as you say, a Woewodin replacement but he will never be a Buckley replacement and we already have Woewodin replacements.
Bully for you. Get over it already.

Originally posted by Chris_Judd
What has Port done? Port have sent a message alright... that any young player going to their club is going to be permanently stuck in boringsville and Port will make it as hard as they can to make them stay there.
I may just be stupid, but I think thats a pretty good message.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Port WTF is going on?

Originally posted by Pevers-Legend
Could West coast please give Gardiner to Essendon for our pick 15 and maybe Davies - how does that sound?? Dill.:mad:

Hmmm no you are absolutely right.... I would rather we lose Gardiner for nothing than get pick 15. HAHAHAHAHA what sort of idiot would rather nothing than a decent pick. If we lost Gardiner for nothing I would absolutely spew.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Port WTF is going on?

Hmmm no you are absolutely right.... I would rather we lose Gardiner for nothing than get pick 15. HAHAHAHAHA what sort of idiot would rather nothing than a decent pick. If we lost Gardiner for nothing I would absolutely spew.

I would have thought many Weagles supporters would spew even if they got pick 15 for Gardy!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Port WTF is going on?

Originally posted by Porthos
Precisely. Why trade quality players for part-time duds when we can draft them for free if we want them? RFK and Mahoney have no currency as trades.
No logic there at all.
Bully for you. Get over it already.
Nothing to get over at all. Just passing comment.

Originally posted by feher
i'm not a pie supporter, but pa supporters should aslo get over nick leaving as well. I am a hawks supporter and rawlings has gone, its no biggy, it wasn't a biggy at the time he wanted to leave for north, you get what you can for them, although we got nothing for rawlings ;) or you can have this so called 'stance' victory that pa people think they have.
Actually Collingwood supporters are the ones that constantly bring these threads up, so they are the ones with a bee in their bonnets about the trade.
If Port supporters did, then you would be right. They don't, so you are wrong.
Again, ....he is gone. Good, but it's old news.

Originally posted by Adelaide Hawk
Robran had the second of a two year contract to serve, and he was a required player by the Hawks. I didn't hear the Crows coming up with any great deals in order to get him traded.
Completely different to the Jarman and Stevens deals.

Jesus, can we get an underage board for some people to post on.

the common link, that the poster above ignored is that the player wouldn't play for you, and you weren't happy with what was offered in trade. I have no problems with this, but don't be f***** telling me that port should have sold Stevens cheap, when you did the same thing.

The contract status doesn't matter, you didn't like the price for trade so you took a stand, and fair enough.

Now for the over 15's - you took a hardline with Paul Harding also, he eventually came to play, and was rubbish.

these hardline positions have been around for sometime, despite what some would have you believe.

And you would obviously enjoy watching pick 15 run around in the WAFL - possibly never to make it - while Gardiner dominates for Essendon and makes WC our biatches - thats what you are saying - correct me if I'm wrong?:confused:

Originally posted by feher
last year it was brissy, this year it was collingwood, next year it could be another side, why are port so f*cking worried about the pies??? there are 14 other clubs they should be worried about.

No but there are about 5 that will be around the mark and giving any one of them an advantage over you is just stupid.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Port WTF is going on?

Originally posted by Pevers-Legend
No but there are about 5 that will be around the mark and giving any one of them an advantage over you is just stupid.

Trading players is a ten year decision, yet Port gave away a ten year player because of a short sighted one-year focus. Sure Stevens won't hurt you this year but Carlton could be at the top very very soon. Just look at recent history and see how many wooden spooners end up in Grand Finals 3 years later.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Port WTF is going on?

Originally posted by hotpie
Trading players is a ten year decision, yet Port gave away a ten year player because of a short sighted one-year focus. Sure Stevens won't hurt you this year but Carlton could be at the top very very soon. Just look at recent history and see how many wooden spooners end up in Grand Finals 3 years later.

But they have priority picks - or just very high picks in the draft - Carlton did not have this - thus they will be set back a minimum of two years. It hurt Essendon when they didn;t have picks in one draft and we were still competitve at the time. Carlton have a long road ahead.

To all you people dissing Port about the Stevens saga GET OVER IT!!
Yes we've let him go for nothing! I personally don't have a problem with that. But thats another story!
And to any of you non-Port supporters particually Collingwood since when do u care about Port Adelaide! its really not your problem, concentrate on what your own clubs are doing!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by MarkT
No logic there at all.
Sure there is. You're saying the offer is #17 & Scotland as if he was a rare gem, when really we can get a game ready player on our own without trading for one. The value of a player that can almost get a game is very low in the AFL.

Why do Pie fans bring it up?

Hmmm cos we know this one will be biting you on the bum for years to come and we will remind you at every chance.

Also the stupid logic of Port in beyond belief. Forrester Knight for pick 44, based on that pick 17 was GOLD. Please explain to me how this hack is worth 44 but 17 is crap?

It is so obvious that Chocko had a personality clash but then again he has always been selfish, whether refusing to take a pay cut of quitting at game 200 despite the Bears struggling.

Port's decision was classic Port Adelaide. It had more to do with not letting Collingwood (a top 4 competitor) getting an easy pickup than what they could get out of it. Collingwood were never going to give up anything decent because they haven't in recent years. Hence why they keep missing out of players they try and attract (but that's another story).

If Port were going to lose out of the deal, they would prefer to lose out a club they don't consider a threat than to give a rival a free kick. It had nothing to do with Williams/Stevens personality clash, it's the way Port have always operated.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Port WTF is going on?

Sure there is. You're saying the offer is #17 & Scotland as if he was a rare gem,
No I'm not and never have. I have said Scotland and 17 is not quite the highway robbery that Port fans think, especially the ones who in the next breath say Stevens is a soft receiver who wont be missed.
when really we can get a game ready player on our own without trading for one. The value of a player that can almost get a game is very low in the AFL.
The logic that I said was absent is right this right here. You take nothing rather than a better player and a late first round draft pick so you can pick up a middle aged VFL hack. Yes the value of a player who can almost get a game is low. The value of a player who would be in your best 22 plus a late first round pick is not so low though. This is besides the point thouigh because you actually took a player who can't even almost get game. Mahoney is great trier and I hope he does get a game but he has been cut 3 times so far.

FWIW I can't understand why you didn;t take Rupe ahead of Mahoney anyway. Rupe is a bit better at everything than Mahoney and a lot more versatile. IMO Rupe is still in Collingwood's best 22.

Port didn't have to give Nick tp Collingwood they could have given him to some other Victorian club.
Then, If Stevens said anyhting/colplained about it it would make him look bad.
As all he said (to the public) was that he wanted to go back home equals Victoria.

Originally posted by Powergirl
Yes we've let him go for nothing! I personally don't have a problem with that. But thats another story!

Port supporters are such sheep that if it were proved that the PAFC were supplying WMD to terrorists, you lot would think it was great.

Originally posted by rubberman
In ten years the Port Adelaide football club will be in the afl . Nick Stevens will not be.

Ten years from now, Stevens is more likely to own a premiership medal than Port Chokelaide own a premiership cup.

.......No idea how anyone can say Port did the right thing. You can pick up a very decent player with the pick that was offered to Port.
But Port didn't NEED to pick up a decent player. Their 2004 team has more than enough good players, and hot-shots waiting for their chance. The move came about because Nick wanted to leave, not because Port was trying to boost their list.
To trade Nick to Collingwood would have been as smart for Port as Melbourne trading Woewodin to Collingwood in 2002. The message Port sent by refusing to be caught in a dodgy set-up will be of benefit to them in trades for years to come. Did in excess of 90% of Melbourne supporters approve the Woewodin deal, because in excess of 90% of Port supporters approved what their club did!
It would have been football suicide, a mark of being unable to have handled the swirling pressures of trade week to back down to Max and Nick Stevens.
As for Mahoney and Forster-Knight they are what they are. Hungry AFL capable players who won't cost a lot and can patch in for injured players. All the better performing clubs have their equivalents and hope for a star as a result. If like me you buy one (and one only) X-Lotto ticket a week you probably can see sense with this approach. If you hold back your money citing the odds against winning I can understand you would be puzzled.

Originally posted by Angry Dragon
Ten years from now, Stevens is more likely to own a premiership medal than Port Chokelaide own a premiership cup.
I'm sure with $1.8 mill at his disposal he could pick up one cheaply second hand. Many Lions players will have a few to spare.

Remove this Banner Ad

Port WTF is going on?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back