Positives from tonights match??

Remove this Banner Ad

The positive is that we're second on the ladder! Woo hoo...

Geez I had forgotten Farmer was playing tonight til I read this thread. Didn't notice him once.

He's actually a very good kick is Nason, think it was just the nerves. Other than that, agree with what you said.

Just lacks a bit of depth and penetration from what I saw, first game on the big stage though so I shouldn't judge him too quickly. But thinking back to it now, did he kick on both feet?

I think I recall a him using his left on the back flank when he kicked poorly and put Thomson under the pump, but then the big goal he kicked was on his right? I could be wrong though.

Either way, I really liked him, didn't want to knock him. The other thing is he'll benefit greatly from being around some good coaches because just currently he seemed to expend a lot of energy by following the ball a little and running to ineffective positions. Once gets shown how to maximise his efforts etc, I think he could be really good.

Can't teach heart either and the bloke has it in spades

i thought there were a few positives

the debutants looked ok taking into account not many others around them played well

nason looked disgraceful but played well for a first gamer
martin looks like he will live up to the hype
i like farmer, considering how often the ball went into our backline i think he did ok
roberts is interesting but needs some time in the vfl

the forwards looked good the few times the ball got down there (reiwoldt, morton, hislop)

cuz played great after coming out of hospital not so long ago

thursty was our best defender, made some good spoils and kicking out i thought he was our best

the pro's were certainly outweighed by the cons but all is not lost :thumbsu:

Gee i must of been watching another game thought Edwards had a nightmare ... I was up the ponsford end perhaps he went good up the punt rd end. Edwards is no good.

Nason went good got better as the game went on.
Martin 18 touches not a bad start , will learn a bit from tonight as well.
Thought Roberts although did not do much and probably wont play alot of senior games this year showed a bit , needs to learn about positioning etc. but something to work with there

The positives are we competed for 3 quarters despite giving up a 5 goal blow out head start

Carlton are still no good! when the pressure was on they looked shocking pulled away in the last quarter while our kids fell away always gonna happen they wont make the 8 and would be suprised to see them bottom 4

Nason and Roberts both good debuts
Farmer worked hard and looked good
Connors looks fit finally and was willing to take hits didnt appear lazy or soft which is exactly what we would have all been asking him to address
We had a bunch of kids gain experience in front of 75000
Hislops attack early on when noone else was doing anything was great to see
Thomson did some nice things
Jordie isnt in the side and our field kicking was better (not great but better)
Martins debut

There is gonna be games like these, there not fun there not gonna be fun
they hurt like hell and you can pretty much expect its gonna happen before the game starts! the good news is nearlly every player on the field tonight would be being examined wether they are part of our future or not
it looked like plenty were

Carlton can kid themselves all day buying players like warnock and brock mcclown they were not impressive which is great

It wasn't that bad really.

The kids debuting were impressive. I thought Vickery showed a bit, will overtake Simmo during 2010.

Connors was good besides that shocking defensive effort. Riewoldt will be a star, once we get proper Inside 50s.

What game were you watching?!?! Vickery was the second worst player on the pitch. We played two short tonight and the fact that they play in the same position, made it impossible.

:confused:

What game were you watching?!?! Vickery was the second worst player on the pitch. We played two short tonight and the fact that they play in the same position, made it impossible.

:confused:

Unfortunately, I am in agreeance with this, which apparently is the opposite of the rest of the board. I say unfortunately, since he was one of only two talls tonight, and we needed big games from both.

I just didn't see Vickery giving anything to the team, and I saw very little last year. Am not bagging him, I just think he needs time in the VFL. Let the bigger bodies in Polak and Gus play the role, regardless of whether they have a long-term future or not. Vickery seems to need to mature in body and confidence.

When he has the ball, now and then he shows that he has some footy smarts, but, as a ruckman, we need him marking and tapping to advantage. I don't think I have ever seen Vick take a contested mark as yet. He needs more time in the system.

My only positive from tonight:
Cotchin +1
Vickery +1
Connors +1
Martin +1
Nason +1
Roberts +1
Farmer +1
Thomson +1
Nahas +1
Hislop +1
Edwards +1

What does that mean, well basically all these players got another game under their belts. Hardwick said on Wednesday afternoon that the sooner we get 50+ games into the player 22 and under the quicker we'll become a better side.

What does that mean, well basically all these players got another game under their belts. Hardwick said on Wednesday afternoon that the sooner we get 50+ games into the player 22 and under the quicker we'll become a better side.

Cant argue with that... but they still need to pick a side that show effort. I saw some cancerous situations tonight. I dont want 50 games just given out because we need to get experience in them.

But, yes, l know what youre saying. ;)

See alot of people saying reiwoldt was such a positive and he did a couple of nice things but he either wants to take a speccy or a chest mark.Ccouple of times I was pulling my hair out when he wouldnt get his hands out front when leading to the ball resulting in an easy spoil... maybe it was just the delivery, really need polak in the side to be honest

Positives are Martin is a gun. Nason tried very hard good tackling and runs hard like cousins does. Roberts could be your leon Davis. He has some size and muscle and good foot skills + bursts of speed. He just needs a massive preseason or two. If I'm a tigers supporter I'm angry at the senior players not the youngsters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cant argue with that... but they still need to pick a side that show effort. I saw some cancerous situations tonight. I dont want 50 games just given out because we need to get experience in them.

But, yes, l know what youre saying. ;)
I agree, we shouldn't be giving games to players that don't deserve it, but at the same time we shouldn't just dump them after 1 poor performance either. The kids are going to have games where they struggle, yet the very next week they could shine, its part and parcel of building a side from scratch(again).

Walls is another day closer to retiring from commentating.

I dont understand the bagging of Vickery...he is growing into his body...is learning that he is a big man who can show a bit of muscle..he will be our general in a few years. The signs are there...but Simmonds is just a waste of a spot.

I reckon you guys did alright for 2nd and 3rd quarters, and the blow out at the end was only due to having 2 of your main midfielders (Jackson and Tambling I think) on the bench for most of the last.

The only reason Carlton won the clearances was because they had the bigger bodies, but the overall skill levels were about the same.

Jack Riewoldt showed some good signs and Carlton only started beating him when they put 2 defenders on him. Will be interesting how they deal with the Fev and Brown show next week. I think they will get smashed.

Hardwick needs to give Roberts more game time. He looked good when he was on the ground, but must have only played the 1st and 4th quarters. I was constantly scanning the ground trying to find him and wondering why he wasn't on. When he was on he was mainly running off half back, and maybe that's not his ideal position?

Went to the match last night, my insights into how I saw Richmond:

Daniel Connors: After turning to my mate and saying he was no good, Connors turned it on. He tried his heart out, and for a player as young and inexperienced as him, he did a hell of an effort down back for the amount of ball that was coming in his direction. I am not sure he will become an A - grader type player, but he could certainly become a more than handy player.

Dustin Martin: For a player as young and inexperienced as he is, Martin really threw himself into the play. At one stage he went into the contest, won the ball and stood up in the tackle right up until the umpire called for a ball up. Pure lower body strength in the kid right there. Looked nervy at stages, but 70,000+ people at the home of football, I'll let him off.

Daniel Jackson: Much maligned player on here by the sounds of things, but truth be told, won 23 possessions in which half of them were contested. Also laid 5 tackles. Clearly one of your better players last night.

Ben Nason: Not sure on young Nason, very first contest he went into, he won the ball, only for him to pause for half a second that cost Richmond the ball. Came into his own later in the game (circa running goal from 50m), hadnt played senior football before, despite being a mature aged recruit. Will wait and see if he has the polish and nous to become a top line player.

Trent Cotchin: Looked very lethargic at times, but will be better for the run. Used the ball well on most parts, a few more runs and he will be better for it.

Adam Thomson: Looked ok at stages when playing in attack, presented all night and stuck to his guns. Took a couple of nice marks. Kicking seems a bit 'so-so' at times, but will come good I feel.

Positives I can think off, plenty more negatives though. will leave that for another day.

I'd also like to think Moore, Thursfield and McGuane did their share in the backline.

Yes, they had goals kicked on them, and made some mistakes (clearances). However they managed to create a contest and get an arm in. Winning one on one contests more then a few times.

Will be interesting to see how our backline goes next week though.

Our midfield was under siege from the start - so it's not surprising that some players down there cracked (e.g. Edwards). Thursty and McG looked good most of the night.

Midfield failed to exert pressure at the start of every quarter, but worked it's way back into the game in the first three quarters. (Thommo and Cotchin especially impressed at times.)

We failed to capitalise on our opportunities in front of goal at critical times and let the Tankers off the hook. Jack Jack and Morts looked classy (as usual) but definitely needed a plank like Polak to help with the double teaming.

Newbies Doc, Scooby and Nason all showed a bit.

The sooner that the team realises that defence starts in the centre the better we will look.

My only positive from tonight:
Cotchin +1
Vickery +1
Connors +1
Martin +1
Nason +1
Roberts +1
Farmer +1
Thomson +1
Nahas +1
Hislop +1
Edwards +1

So thats the magic number 50 + games, it sure shows on newman, lids, bling et all

I thought the game was a very, very good blueprint of what we've got and what we've got to do.

What we've got - a brilliant midfield in the making.
Lids was excellent and is getting harder all the time.
Cotchin isn't 100% but everything he does is done well and his intensity seemed to rise as the game went on.
Martin is terrific.
Jackson is embracing leadership and learning how to lead by example. At one point last night it hit me that this is our next captain. Go on - give it to me.
Tambling had a crappy night but needs to be in the midfield.

What we've got to do -
Get height in the forward line. This killed us last night. Jack was great in the first half when one on one, but then Carlton realised he was the only target and they dropped another one or two onto him when the ball came in. He's too mobile to be much good for crumbers and there was never anyone there when the ball hit the ground. We need Polak (or Post) in the goalsquare with Nahas and Roberts at his feet.
The lack of forward height also meant Waite could go into attack for the Blues, making the job even harder for McGuane, Thursfield and Moore.

My quick wrap; Nason was good, Roberts will be good in a better structured attack. Moore should go out this week and give Rance (or Post) a chance. Thought Vickery looked like he belonged even if he didn't have a great game - keep playing him and we'll have a very good footballer by year's end. Connors was good, Thomson was very good, Hislop was ordinary. Simmonds still isn't looking good but I thought he played a role. Get Cousins and Tambling through the middle more.

I think our performance was more or less what would be expected given the circumstances. We were blown out early every quarter, but did settle and fight back in all but the last, which is very much to be expected with an inexperienced side and a new coach.

Directness was great to see after years of frustration with Wallace. Very impressed with the debutants. Martin was fairly quiet early, but did some really good things when on ball, will be a quality on-baller before too long.

We really need a key forward at this stage. Our whole system is screaming out for one, as Riewoldt will never be a pack-mark type. Hopefully Griffiths is what he is advertised as.

Our small defenders are also a big concern. Carlton's smaller forwards ran rampant and in my opinion they are only slightly above average. Although, in saying that Connors showed a lot and has a lot of Joel Bowden about him.

Gven we got pumped , nason, martin looked good and presented, we were let down by newman, symonds and lids, i thought jackson did ok cotchin didnt look right........roberts could be anything and a small forward tore us a nother one ....again

-
Delidio must learn to stand up - he's supposed to be your best player & he needs to lead the kids by example, otherwise your young kids who looked good will drop their heads if the seniors arent doing it.
Your rucks - are the unfit or had interrupted preseasons? we seemed to contest alot of free hitouts - saying that though kruz is a fairly decent runner.

yes you struggled but it was nothing like last seasons shamozzle - least you had some kind of system & its just inexperience & youth this time instead of a crap coach. it will take a few seasons for the boys to become men but it looks like your at least starting with a good bunch of kids.

ctacp
curlier than a catoggio pube

Remove this Banner Ad

Positives from tonights match??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back