Possible Marquee Games

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah one game we got the higher crowds althogtehr by almost 100K, besides have you seen how cheap ports membership is compared to the crows no wonder they lost 2M

100K? Source?

Port had one low crowd at 37K (Melb on Mothers Day, cant see the Crows doing any better) the rest at least a 45K average. So unless you were selling over capacity I struggle to understand that figure.

You got the better games ( Collingwood, Hawks Friday night, Eagles instead of Freo, Richmond).

Also, based on the crowds at games I was at (ADL 6, Port 3) you had more neutrals than the Power unless they are simply far louder supporters.

Lets see how it averages out after 5 years and the variables of the draw are lessened.

After 17 rounds, have the top eight play each other for another seven games

Every game watchable, four per week, then a finals of the top four teams

The other clubs just play an u25 comp

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good Friday will happen, probably the next 'blockbuster' that doesn't exist already.

Hope it's a pair of good competitive teams though.
I just want it to be a good game. Don't care where it's played or who plays in it.
Just put some half decent footy on my tv at any time on Good Fri and I'll watch it.

So looking like Good Friday is the obvious slot, maybe move Hawthorn v Geelong to that day and allocate Easter Monday to anyone but Essendon, Collingwood or Richmond? Dogs/Saints/Roos??

100K? Source?

Port had one low crowd at 37K (Melb on Mothers Day, cant see the Crows doing any better) the rest at least a 45K average. So unless you were selling over capacity I struggle to understand that figure.

You got the better games ( Collingwood, Hawks Friday night, Eagles instead of Freo, Richmond).

Also, based on the crowds at games I was at (ADL 6, Port 3) you had more neutrals than the Power unless they are simply far louder supporters.

Lets see how it averages out after 5 years and the variables of the draw are lessened.

Adelaide evidently got 44000 against GWS on Easter Sunday...

That is seriously good

Adelaide evidently got 44000 against GWS on Easter Sunday...

That is seriously good

Is Easter Sunday traditionally a tough day to draw crowds? I personally dont know anyone who does anything after handing out a few chocolates in the morning but thats not to say that is the norm.

The Monday being a public holiday certainly helps, although lots of people do go away too.

I know our footy club had about 20 lads go, maybe 4 or 5 were Crows fans none GWS. Reckon they got a lot of neutrals topping up from the races who knew they could get a seat.

Its still a good crowd though, is tthat the largest GWS has played in front of?

Why?

Case in point Easter Monday (before the AFL bit the bullet and scheduled Hawthorn v Geelong)

Carlton v Essendon on Easter Monday bigger.

I remember it was Greg Williams last game. Shoved Glen Manton out of his face when tried to calm him down. Then the umpire got in his face and he put his hand on him to keep him away. 9 weeks... career over

Essendon 5.2, 7.6, 13.8, 16.10, 106
Carlton 2.2, 7.6, 10.8, 15.9, 99

Easter Monday 31-Mar-1997 2:10 PM Att:82,363 Venue:M.C.G.

Mon 13-Apr-1998 2:10 PM Att:68,177 Venue: M.C.G.

Hawks v Cats had some good crowds too because of being up near top for a good number of years in a row. When one or both of them drop off the crowds will drop off and have to put a different set of teams on again.

Carlton v Essendon on Easter Monday bigger.

I remember it was Greg Williams last game. Shoved Glen Manton out of his face when tried to calm him down. Then the umpire got in his face and he put his hand on him to keep him away. 9 weeks... career over

Essendon 5.2, 7.6, 13.8, 16.10, 106
Carlton 2.2, 7.6, 10.8, 15.9, 99

Easter Monday 31-Mar-1997 2:10 PM Att:82,363 Venue:M.C.G.

Mon 13-Apr-1998 2:10 PM Att:68,177 Venue: M.C.G.

Hawks v Cats had some good crowds too because of being up near top for a good number of years in a row. When one or both of them drop off the crowds will drop off and have to put a different set of teams on again.

Evidently Carlton and Essendon played twice on Easter Monday

1997 - 82,363
1998 - 68,177
Average 75,250

The biggest fixture was Carlton v Collingwood...

1994 - 85,063
1999 - 70,506
Average 77,786

Between 2000 and 2009 no Easter Monday drew more than 55,000 (Carlton v Collingwood drew 70,506 in 1999)

Since Hawthorn and Geelong took the game on...

2010 - Hawks v Cats 68,628
2011 - Hawks v Cats 78,579
2012 - Cats v Hawks 69,231
2013 - Hawks v Cats 76,300
2014 - Cats v Hawks 80,220
Average 74,592

I can foresee the fixture dropping to 60,000 (ala Rich v Carl in 2007, 2010) when both drop off

Its still significantly larger than the largely nondescript 2000-2009 fixtures although Easter Monday was a huge fixture in the 90s (Carl v Coll x 2, Ess v Carl x 2, Coll v Melb x 2 and Coll v Ess x 1 - 87000 plus!)

Like I said I don't see why Good Friday would or should be a bigger fixture than Easter Monday

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Possible Marquee Games

Remove this Banner Ad

Back