Possible Marquee Games

Remove this Banner Ad

Everyone loves the grand final, so the AFL should have 2 grand finals. The 2nd one can involve 8th vs 9th and whoever wins gets promoted into the 8. It would be like the premier league

What if 8th is like 1 win clear of 9th? Tigers had do or die game agajnst Swans and I thought Tigers that week played their GF

Just give good Friday to north and the Bulldogs, with 5 years to get the North fans to finally buy in.

If they don't, give it to someone else and let's never worry about north and marque games again

I do find it funny the same club who complains it needs marque games to get its fans out is insisting on Carlton as it needs their fans to fill the stadium.

Just give good Friday to north and the Bulldogs, with 5 years to get the North fans to finally buy in.

If they don't, give it to someone else and let's never worry about north and marque games again

I do find it funny the same club who complains it needs marque games to get its fans out is insisting on Carlton as it needs their fans to fill the stadium.

are Bulldogs & North worthy of making GF a success?

Blues would do well with the event IMO

are Bulldogs & North worthy of making GF a success?

Blues would do well with the event IMO

Not arguing that, I'm just sick of North saying all there problems are caused by lack of premium games. Given them Good Friday, watch them **** it up, and then banish them to Sunday 1pm games in Hobart

Not arguing that, I'm just sick of North saying all there problems are caused by lack of premium games. Given them Good Friday, watch them **** it up, and then banish them to Sunday 1pm games in Hobart

Only thing IMO that has it going for Dogs & Roos is a 5 year plan if that's the way AFL goes with it

McLaughlan knows Year 1 & 2 won't sell out but he said if sells out Year 4 then AFL would have created a product, why he doesn't want give it to 2 sides that will sell it out in year 1

I agree North do sook a lot but then again AFL doesn't do them any favours either and they were so close to heading to Gold Coast. Dogs get the royal screwjob given Sunday arvo games

as Blues fan would love North but have feeling will again fall on same weekend as Round 1 and don't exactly want give up Tigers game either

Only thing IMO that has it going for Dogs & Roos is a 5 year plan if that's the way AFL goes with it

McLaughlan knows Year 1 & 2 won't sell out but he said if sells out Year 4 then AFL would have created a product, why he doesn't want give it to 2 sides that will sell it out in year 1

I agree North do sook a lot but then again AFL doesn't do them any favours either and they were so close to heading to Gold Coast. Dogs get the royal screwjob given Sunday arvo games

as Blues fan would love North but have feeling will again fall on same weekend as Round 1 and don't exactly want give up Tigers game either

That's why I'm saying give it too them for five years. That means no matter what, there can be no excuses for it not succeeding

That's why I'm saying give it too them for five years. That means no matter what, there can be no excuses for it not succeeding

Will be cut if powers to be from Blues offer up Opening Match against Tigers

Just like Pies v Bombers made ANZAC Day their own and only just recently Cats & Hawks Easter Monday have made it their own with awesome contests will be shattered if loose this match

Blues v Tigers is a money maker, easily would attract more than what Roos v Dogs ever will. Atmosphere always electric

Will be cut if powers to be from Blues offer up Opening Match against Tigers

Just like Pies v Bombers made ANZAC Day their own and only just recently Cats & Hawks Easter Monday have made it their own with awesome contests will be shattered if loose this match

Blues v Tigers is a money maker, easily would attract more than what Roos v Dogs ever will. Atmosphere always electric

No argument with any of that. I remember the last time we started the show both our mods were banning preview threads as early as November because both fans were already getting stuck into each other.

No matter how shit we are, I'll always be up for smacking your mob (and I know you feel the same )

Make it 6 years (3 home games each), and get both clubs to publicly commit to how they're going to fund/promote the game so you don't have a repeat of the Norths Eureka 'We're poor, everyone else should pay and we should get all the benefits' "effort".

Make it 6 years (3 home games each), and get both clubs to publicly commit to how they're going to fund/promote the game so you don't have a repeat of the Norths Eureka 'We're poor, everyone else should pay and we should get all the benefits' "effort".

I just assumed they were gunna do this again

They normally expect opposition fans to come in force to make up the numbers, which is why they wanted Carlton instead of the dogs.

Fwiw given the recent changes at the doggies, I reckon they will do their part (their work on the VFL side has been outstanding)

I just assumed they were gunna do this again

They normally expect opposition fans to come in force to make up the numbers, which is why they wanted Carlton instead of the dogs.

Fwiw given the recent changes at the doggies, I reckon they will do their part (their work on the VFL side has been outstanding)

That's why I figured a public commitment up front was the only way (if it was only in writing, they'd spin it as another of their tall stories about how they're victimised).

That's why I figured a public commitment up front was the only way (if it was only in writing, they'd spin it as another of their tall stories about how they're victimised).

What factors do you think would hold Blues back in getting Good Friday?

I'm certain North is gauranteed 1 spot but other one def between Blues and Dogs.

What factors do you think would hold Blues back in getting Good Friday?

I'm certain North is gauranteed 1 spot but other one def between Blues and Dogs.

Not sure why North gets a guaranteed spot. Why are any clubs 'favorites'? Because they made some noise? What have any of them actually done?

As for the Blues, they should have as much claim as anyone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure why North gets a guaranteed spot. Why are any clubs 'favorites'? Because they made some noise? What have any of them actually done?

As for the Blues, they should have as much claim as anyone.

I think as you have said, made the most noise but for a longer period of time. I just cannot see North not getting it

Blues do deserve it as can draw a crowd but as you again stated, nothing gauranteed

Interesting stat for you
Next year Friday night games
Blues - 6 with 11 night games in total
Roos - 2 Friday night games with 9 night games in total
Dogs - ZERO Friday night games with 5 in total

Are Bulldogs not money makers to the AFL?

I think as you have said, made the most noise but for a longer period of time. I just cannot see North not getting it

Blues do deserve it as can draw a crowd but as you again stated, nothing gauranteed

Interesting stat for you
Next year Friday night games
Blues - 6 with 11 night games in total
Roos - 2 Friday night games with 9 night games in total
Dogs - ZERO Friday night games with 5 in total

Are Bulldogs not money makers to the AFL?

Considering how North supporters like to go on about how they 'created' Friday night football, I think this stat just shows that making noise doesn't mean much.

Every marquee game worth anything has 2 teams that can draw a crowd*. From that perspective, neither North nor the Bulldogs get a guernsey.

* - The exception being Queens Birthday, and that only pulls a bit over 60K.

Considering how North supporters like to go on about how they 'created' Friday night football, I think this stat just shows that making noise doesn't mean much.

Every marquee game worth anything has 2 teams that can draw a crowd*. From that perspective, neither North nor the Bulldogs get a guernsey.

* - The exception being Queens Birthday, and that only pulls a bit over 60K.

Guess why AFL loves
Pies, Tigers, Hawks, Blues, Cats
Cash machines when it comes to attendence and ratings
Bombers still loved by AFL to some degree lol

Leaves Saints, Roos, Dogs & Dees

Guess why AFL loves

You know Essendon had more people turn up to their games then Carlton yeah?

You know Essendon had more people turn up to their games then Carlton yeah?

No way Essendon will get Good Friday. I don't like bringing up ASADA as I think it's sensitive issue but that's one of 2 reasons won't get it

The other one is that Bombers al ready occupy good share of Prime time TV

Teams you can rule out are Bombers, Cats, Pies & Hawks

No way Essendon will get Good Friday. I don't like bringing up ASADA as I think it's sensitive issue but that's one of 2 reasons won't get it

The other one is that Bombers al ready occupy good share of Prime time TV
Just making sure you realised Essendons pulling power was greater than Carltons.

Sounded like you didn't.

Just making sure you realised Essendons pulling power was greater than Carltons.

Sounded like you didn't.

Essendon probably do have more pulling power. bigger supporter base and more members than us

Consistently every year. We're no Saints either, Blues making losses through crappy decisions through boards and funding crap out of our own pockets like Arizona didn't help but that's another topic all together

Guess why AFL loves

The commercial reality is that the afl need to have the big clubs playing on these days to maximise the return as they need the funds to prop up almost half the clubs in the comp which is a bigger issue than who played in a marquee game. The money generated from these games are more important to clubs than playing in them. Also blues no where near the bombers in terms of raising revenue for the afl.

The commercial reality is that the afl need to have the big clubs playing on these days to maximise the return as they need the funds to prop up almost half the clubs in the comp which is a bigger issue than who played in a marquee game. The money generated from these games are more important to clubs than playing in them. Also blues no where near the bombers in terms of raising revenue for the afl.

I agree. When I look at the stats of who gets more prime time I see
Pies, Hawks, Blues, Bombers, Tigers & Cats

But if just want to say big 4 Pies, Tigers, Bombers & Hawks because they bring crowds and Money to the AFL.. Reason I put Blues their because we do have 11 night games scheduled including 6 Friday nights so AFL must like us

Equalisation policy might now change things for Good Friday, depends how AFL wants to experiment. Don't think its all about the money as think proceeds will go to RCH, but giving to other clubs

I think Blues equally deserving but have feeling that AFL might play it safe. Who do you think will play Good Friday?

I agree. When I look at the stats of who gets more prime time I see
Pies, Hawks, Blues, Bombers, Tigers & Cats

But if just want to say big 4 Pies, Tigers, Bombers & Hawks because they bring crowds and Money to the AFL.. Reason I put Blues their because we do have 11 night games scheduled including 6 Friday nights so AFL must like us

Equalisation policy might now change things for Good Friday, depends how AFL wants to experiment. Don't think its all about the money as think proceeds will go to RCH, but giving to other clubs

I think Blues equally deserving but have feeling that AFL might play it safe. Who do you think will play Good Friday?
1st point- unfortunately it is all about the money. As far as your question goes for good friday I'd have blues v tigers. Pies and bombers play on Anzac Day so they couldn't be involved and if the afl make such a landmark decision after so many years they need all of the country to take notice and these clubs will do that. I know it sounds harsh if you don't follow these clubs especially hawks and cats who have been so successful bit you don't get 1 billion dollars from a TV station and tell them that 'trialling clubs on these big days for a couple of years'. Totally get supporters frustration but th reality is they will have the final say.

1st point- unfortunately it is all about the money. As far as your question goes for good friday I'd have blues v tigers. Pies and bombers play on Anzac Day so they couldn't be involved and if the afl make such a landmark decision after so many years they need all of the country to take notice and these clubs will do that. I know it sounds harsh if you don't follow these clubs especially hawks and cats who have been so successful bit you don't get 1 billion dollars from a TV station and tell them that 'trialling clubs on these big days for a couple of years'. Totally get supporters frustration but th reality is they will have the final say.

Fair point. I feel Queens Birthday good example of Marquee game in which 1 club gets healthy numbers but the other being the Demoms hold the event back, dont make it a special Occassion. AFL threatening to take it away from Demons a while back and think they should if doesn't improve next few seasons as the game lacks that marquee feeling, it really feels like just another game

I've been to Dreamtime at the G' and omg Tigers and Bombers fans make the event special

I just think Blues v Tigers do belong round 1, don't think any Blues or Tigers fan want this game to die because it's deadset awesome to be part of... Good Friday, Blues v North at Etihad would work and these 2 teams draw well against eachother

Only way I see North v Dogs working is if scheduled at Etihad. I personally don't see Blues v North working at the MCG, but yes at Etihad

Remove this Banner Ad

Possible Marquee Games

Remove this Banner Ad

Back