Possible Marquee Games

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair point. I feel Queens Birthday good example of Marquee game in which 1 club gets healthy numbers but the other being the Demoms hold the event back, dont make it a special Occassion. AFL threatening to take it away from Demons a while back and think they should if doesn't improve next few seasons as the game lacks that marquee feeling, it really feels like just another game

I've been to Dreamtime at the G' and omg Tigers and Bombers fans make the event special

I just think Blues v Tigers do belong round 1, don't think any Blues or Tigers fan want this game to die because it's deadset awesome to be part of... Good Friday, Blues v North at Etihad would work and these 2 teams draw well against eachother

Only way I see North v Dogs working is if scheduled at Etihad. I personally don't see Blues v North working at the MCG, but yes at Etihad

Agree on it being at Etihad, but I think that's a good thing.

We need to start making Etihad feel special, and not just a joint with a roof

Agree on it being at Etihad, but I think that's a good thing.

We need to start making Etihad feel special, and not just a joint with a roof

I remember as a kid, "Colonial Stadium" awesome venue big hype similar to Adelaide Oval because everything so brand new

Bombers, Pies, Hawks would play big amounts of home games their because they loved playing at the venue

But 2 seasons ago when MCG booked out for week 1 of finals, Cats begging play at Simmonds their finals game and I agreed, Simmonds looked more alive as a stadium than what Ethiad would have for that game

I think as you have said, made the most noise but for a longer period of time. I just cannot see North not getting it

Blues do deserve it as can draw a crowd but as you again stated, nothing gauranteed

Interesting stat for you
Next year Friday night games
Blues - 6 with 11 night games in total
Roos - 2 Friday night games with 9 night games in total
Dogs - ZERO Friday night games with 5 in total

Are Bulldogs not money makers to the AFL?

You'll find that's the third year running with zero Friday night games.

It's a ****ing disgrace.

You'll find that's the third year running with zero Friday night games.

It's a ******* disgrace.

Sad but true

AFL never case about fairness, just about the $$$$. That's why they always play it safe

Really do wonder if they are even remotely thinking about Bulldogs, as I think Blues v North at Etihad is Safe option for AFL

I think the reality is that teams with stars who play good footy, draw big crowds and ratings.

Collingwood's ratings will suffer when they fall down the ladder. It will still be higher than North's if they were in the same position, but it's not like Carlton v Collingwood when 17th & 18th on the ladder will rate higher than St Kilda v Melbourne if they're 1 & 2.

Freo v Port semi final was one of the highest rating games of the year - no big drawing clubs there.

St Kilda v Geelong 2009 at Etihad was one of the biggest drawing games of that year.

Personally I will be surprised if Carlton Friday night games in the 2nd half of the year rate that highly (by which time they will be out of reckoning for the finals).

I think the reality is that teams with stars who play good footy, draw big crowds and ratings.

Collingwood's ratings will suffer when they fall down the ladder. It will still be higher than North's if they were in the same position, but it's not like Carlton v Collingwood when 17th & 18th on the ladder will rate higher than St Kilda v Melbourne if they're 1 & 2.

Freo v Port semi final was one of the highest rating games of the year - no big drawing clubs there.

St Kilda v Geelong 2009 at Etihad was one of the biggest drawing games of that year.

Personally I will be surprised if Carlton Friday night games in the 2nd half of the year rate that highly (by which time they will be out of reckoning for the finals).

Blues are AFL money makers. Big supporter base and always get the ratings hence why AFL loves scheduling us for prime time

Blues vs most teams works well
Pies vs most teams works well
reason is that bring crowds and ratings which equal dollars

That's why Blues should get Good Friday but sooo many variables and question marks still. North im still convinced that one spot is theirs and Bulldogs might just be on par with us.

Sad but true

AFL never case about fairness, just about the $$$$. That's why they always play it safe

Really do wonder if they are even remotely thinking about Bulldogs, as I think Blues v North at Etihad is Safe option for AFL

Depends. If they want a 'real' blockbuster, they'll want a game at the MCG which can come close to packing it out. Filling Docklands and calling it a blockbuster is like boasting about the sellout crowd during backyard cricket in the backyard. You'd also get regular calls for the game to be moved.

The 'safe' option is 2 big clubs at the MCG and (supposedly) give other clubs compensation for missing out.

Depends. If they want a 'real' blockbuster, they'll want a game at the MCG which can come close to packing it out. Filling Docklands and calling it a blockbuster is like boasting about the sellout crowd during backyard cricket in the backyard. You'd also get regular calls for the game to be moved.

The 'safe' option is 2 big clubs at the MCG and (supposedly) give other clubs compensation for missing out.

Eddy McGuires theory

If big clubs have to dish out cash to help the smaller clubs, give the marquee games to the bigger clubs so they can generate the dollars to give to the smaller clubs

Eddy McGuires theory

If big clubs have to dish out cash to help the smaller clubs, give the marquee games to the bigger clubs so they can generate the dollars to give to the smaller clubs

Personally, I'd go the opposite way and give it to North and the Bulldogs.

If a 'big' club plays one of them, then do it like QB and have it as the small clubs home game every time.

Personally, I'd go the opposite way and give it to North and the Bulldogs.

If a 'big' club plays one of them, then do it like QB and have it as the small clubs home game every time.

It's BS. Pies crowd figures heaps more than Demons but what can you do

One argument is that isolating the smaller clubs, they never grow which is true. I'm from the West and Bulldogs have a supporter base here but it's really no bigger than Pies, Bombers or Blues. Same extend Kangaroos

If they do give it to two of the 3 either Blues, Roos or Dogs the venue still needs to be Etihad as its a public holiday and also Easter weekend when most people on holidays so MCG won't fill up

Last edited:

What? We sold out every home game. How much bigger drawing could we be?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everyone loves the grand final, so the AFL should have 2 grand finals. The 2nd one can involve 8th vs 9th and whoever wins gets promoted into the 8. It would be like the premier league
That's nothing like the Premier League.
Fair point. I feel Queens Birthday good example of Marquee game in which 1 club gets healthy numbers but the other being the Demoms hold the event back, dont make it a special Occassion. AFL threatening to take it away from Demons a while back and think they should if doesn't improve next few seasons as the game lacks that marquee feeling, it really feels like just another game

I've been to Dreamtime at the G' and omg Tigers and Bombers fans make the event special

I just think Blues v Tigers do belong round 1, don't think any Blues or Tigers fan want this game to die because it's deadset awesome to be part of... Good Friday, Blues v North at Etihad would work and these 2 teams draw well against eachother

Only way I see North v Dogs working is if scheduled at Etihad. I personally don't see Blues v North working at the MCG, but yes at Etihad
Yep I agree. Melbourne v Collingwood is never even the biggest game of that round. It has no feeling at all, especially as Collingwood keep belting them every season.

Dreamtime is awesome. That's what two clubs with big following can do.

As a neutral, I'd hate to lose the Carlton v Richmond Thursday round one game. A fantastic way to open the season.

I agree North Melbourne v Carlton will be the first Good Friday game. If that doesn't work we can take North's place in five years time once the dust has settled from the ASADA investigation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Possible Marquee Games

Remove this Banner Ad

Back