Sep 17, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Jared Rivers (MEL) + 2nd Round
for
Mitch Thorpe (HAW)

Could be mutually beneficial?
Hawthorn have an abundance of Forwards, Melbourne have none.
Hawthorn IMO need another backman to win a Premiership.

for
Mitch Thorpe (HAW)

I'm sorry, you said what?

I know Thorpe is highly rated but f__k me. He's played one game

Rivers must be worth an early second round on his own, so you want melbourne to give up our best defender, a top 5 player at the club and a top 20 pick?

And with the draft depth being so deep, that top 20 pick is equivalent to a mid-late first round any other year.

Rivers and a 3rd round would even be too much for me, the only way i'd consider it would be maybe rivers & our later 2nd round pick (pick 20) and thorpe & hawthorns second round(pick34).

Rivers > Thorpe.

I think you missed part of the equation.

Rivers + 2nd round = Thorpe + 1st round.

Also if i was Melbourne. I probably still wouldn't do it.

I agree with the Rivers being better then Thorpe, but Thorpe's not 20 until the end of the year and Rivers will be 24 later in the year. Both have had some bad injuries, but it's less of a concern with younger players.

But Rivers is proven and Thorpe is just potential, but hawthorn seem to rate him very highly, but can afford to let him go because they've got boyle and dowler as well.

Rivers and pick 17 for thorpe and pick 14 seem pretty fair, i probably underated rivers a little bit before.

Or how about Rivers to adelaide(he's from SA) for pick 7-10, pick 7-10 to Hawthron and thorpe to melbourne? Seems like win, win, win.

McKinley for Carltons 2nd rounder

Hunter + 2nd rounder for Thorp

owen_starsky__hutch_signature_do_it.jpg

1. Melbourne's backline isn't strong enough to do that trade
2. Key backmen are worth more than key forwards, most of the top kids are played up forward.
3. GC's upcoming arrival and the depth of this year's draft makes that trade even more ridiculously one-sided.

You don't think that may be giving up a little too much for Thorp? I know he's highly rated, but is largely untried at senior level.

Not really. Hes pretty highly rated at Hawks land and is forced to play out of position cos there forward line stocks are so good. Maybe upgrade our PP to Hawks first rounder (pick 13 or so)

So in the end

Hunter + two 2nd rounders for

Thorp + 1st rounder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If your so keen to give up Rivers and a pick, we'll give you Warnock presuming he doesn't want to sign on.

Rivers > Warnock
Why would we give him up for someone we will be able to get for next to nothing?

Rivers> Thorp
Personally I'd rather Rivers stay at melbourne, he has more value than thorp to us, and probably to hawthorn as well.

If that trade was to go through, which I'm pretty sure it won't, it would be more likely thorp(the untried younger player with potential) and a second round pick for rivers(the proven star coming into his prime).

Rivers > Warnock
Why would we give him up for someone we will be able to get for next to nothing?

Rivers> Thorp
Personally I'd rather Rivers stay at melbourne, he has more value than thorp to us, and probably to hawthorn as well.

If that trade was to go through, which I'm pretty sure it won't, it would be more likely thorp(the untried younger player with potential) and a second round pick for rivers(the proven star coming into his prime).

If you didn't notice, my last comment was tongue in cheek. Rivers > Thorpe.

Personally i think Rivers = Warnock. Warnock > Rivers given your need for a ruckman. Though Rivers > Warnock given your trade position with the PSD.

NO WAY! It would have to be a very very good deal for Melbourne to even consider trading Rivers. Despite his injuries, young KPP backman as talented and proven as Rivers are rare.

BTW Rivers >>>>>>>>>>>> thorp

for
Mitch Thorpe (HAW)

Wow.

Its amazing how quickly people forget how good a player is after he has been injured for so long.

And who the **** is Mitch Thorpe?

Ok but why hasn't Rivers done anything for so long?
He's 24 next year but hasn't played 100 games yet?
-and Thorpe was picked up in '06 before Selwood, N.Brown and a whole host of other.

Thorpe + 2nd Round for Rivers Perhaps??

-and Thorpe was picked up in '06 before Selwood, N.Brown and a whole host of other.

Rivers has had a number of injury problems which have seen him spend extended periods on the sidelines. In saying that, when he has played, he has been excellent for Melbourne, and is a Rising Star winner. In contrast, we have hardly seen anything from Thorp, so you can see where the scepticism comes from.

I'd say this alternative you suggest is better, but I don't know if Hawthorn would go for it due to the fact they rate Thorp quite highly. As a Melbourne fan, I would personally love to see Rivers stay and develop into the foundation of our defence. However, you propose an interesting idea, thanks for posting it ;)

Means nothing. Fiora was picked before Pavlich, Tambo was picked before Buddy, ball before Judd. Doesn't mean they don't rate him highly and he won't be great player, but using draft position compared to other players who've had different fortunes since being drafted means absolute zero.

Thorpe and a second round for rivers is probably closer to the mark, but i can't see the hawks agreeing to that, they'll want what everyone else considers overs for thorpe.

What do adelaide fans think of Rivers for pick 8-10? Melbourne could then trade that pick to the hawks, they couldn't say no to a top 10 pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Possible Trade

Remove this Banner Ad

Back