Autopsy Post Game - Pies 94 def by Hawks 118

Remove this Banner Ad

Finally, Duryea beat Howe. He dragged him back to full back and made him defend./QUOTE]
I thought it would've been better to swing Howie forward instead of sitting him on the bench.

I thought we were ordinary. We turned the ball over a lot! The worst I have seen us by foot for a long time. We were also destroyed in the centre bounce. Our zone pushed too far up the ground and got killed on transition.

We were indeed ordinary. I sat there, shivering, and my Hawthorn supporter mate said that even he felt frustrated watching Collingwood play. I was staggered that the centre clearance numbers ended up as close as they did: the fact is that we do sweet FA with our clearances, while other teams know how to capitalise.

A few players have been singled out (Phillips, Treloar), but the fact is that very few of our players ran hard defensively yesterday. Our tackling was listless. I suppose I'm a sentimentalist, the captain's 250th and all that, but it seems that sentiment can go and get f*****.

Some people lament the skills and composure of our list, and I'm one of those, but sometimes as I sit there I wonder how much of that shittiness is connected to their instructions. Have we just lucked upon an especially clueless bunch of footballers, or does their visible confusion have something to do with the fact that they're trying to decipher codes and riddles in the middle of a football game?

Some individual impressions, trying to be positive:
- Thomas: I was really impressed by his re-adjustment to the game, hope he backs it up;
- Cox is not a long-term option. His goals were handy, I like that he looked likely, but he's otherwise a liability;
- Broomhead: Made his mistakes, hardly dominant, but I reckon he's building towards something. Might turn into valuable trade bait;
- JDG: A mature game of football. Took responsibility and made good decisions. Story of the day;
- Fasolo: Never stopped moving, did some great work along the wing. Three goals a good return;
- Langdon: He improved on last week's performance, needs to keep improving.

Few points. It took until Pendles had the ball to realise how to kick to Cox's advantage. Bombing it high above his head is not the answer as he can get bodied out too easily.

I don't get the hate for Hoskin Elliot. 19 Possessions, good amount of marks and Tackles too. I think he is a brilliant pick up and will be a big player for us in our next finals push if he stays fit. Really like the way he always spreads and gives an option in defense.

Lastly, the moment when Cox breaks the pack, Broomhead picks up first time and snaps a goal. Our forward line doesn't have any crumbers and defensive pressure players. Richmond transformed their team with this idea this year. Elliot, Fas, Moore, Greenwood, Crocker, Cox. These guys are all marking players. Id chuck KK and Broomhead deep forward for the rest of the year. Id be putting Sidebottom in there a fair bit too. I don't think i've seen a team play out of defense more easily.

To me, we are playing without confidence and direction. I see teams with players with less skill who are taking the game on, when we look like deers in the headlights. Whole coaching group should be working with the club about why this is happening.

Few points. It took until Pendles had the ball to realise how to kick to Cox's advantage. Bombing it high above his head is not the answer as he can get bodied out too easily.

I don't get the hate for Hoskin Elliot. 19 Possessions, good amount of marks and Tackles too. I think he is a brilliant pick up and will be a big player for us in our next finals push if he stays fit. Really like the way he always spreads and gives an option in defense.

Lastly, the moment when Cox breaks the pack, Broomhead picks up first time and snaps a goal. Our forward line doesn't have any crumbers and defensive pressure players. Richmond transformed their team with this idea this year. Elliot, Fas, Moore, Greenwood, Crocker, Cox. These guys are all marking players. Id chuck KK and Broomhead deep forward for the rest of the year. Id be putting Sidebottom in there a fair bit too. I don't think i've seen a team play out of defense more easily.

To me, we are playing without confidence and direction. I see teams with players with less skill who are taking the game on, when we look like deers in the headlights. Whole coaching group should be working with the club about why this is happening.

WHE got 19 touches?

Didn't notice him

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Calling for WHE to be dropped is not hate.

I hate it when the word hate is used flippantly.

He had a bad game and has been indifferent in recent weeks (poor form has probabaly flown under the radar a bit) and is quite rightly on the discussion table . In all likelihood he'll probably stay in the 22 but he is not exempt from scrutiny just because he has talent.

Calling for WHE to be dropped is not hate.

I hate it when the word hate is used flippantly.

He had a bad game and has been indifferent in recent weeks (poor form has probabaly flown under the radar a bit) and is quite rightly on the discussion table . In all likelihood he'll probably stay in the 22 but he is not exempt from scrutiny just because he has talent.
How did he have a bad game? 19 possessions, 7 marks and 5 tackles. He didn't have a great game by any means, but he is an outside player who relies on service which we sucked at yesterday. He is not a high disposal player and even so is playing consistent football. His last 4 weeks have been very consistent so i'm just struggling to see how there should be mass calls to see him dropped. In response to your first point, there is a lot of talking here hating on our players lately. Not just calling for them to be dropped. The word Vanilla seems a favourite at the moment.

How did he have a bad game? 19 possessions, 7 marks and 5 tackles. He didn't have a great game by any means, but he is an outside player who relies on service which we sucked at yesterday. He is not a high disposal player and even so is playing consistent football. His last 4 weeks have been very consistent so i'm just struggling to see how there should be mass calls to see him dropped. In response to your first point, there is a lot of talking here hating on our players lately. Not just calling for them to be dropped. The word Vanilla seems a favourite at the moment.

Not sure there are mass calls. Thought he was pretty poor yesterday imo. Especially when he had the ball, rather than when he didnt.

It's been Buck's Achilles heel for his entire coaching career. If the opposition play an extra backman, he goes for the extra mid around the ball instead.
It gives our forwards virtually no chance of getting a one on one contest & allows them to run rampant from one end to the other.

three words:

man on man.

No room for Reid and Shaz in our side and you want Kirby to get a run???

That's clearly pushing it.
Sure why not Kirbys form in the vfl has been good our year is done hes earned it.Shaz will be back soon enough Reid will too may not be in a pies jumper though

Sure why not Kirbys form in the vfl has been good our year is done hes earned it.Shaz will be back soon enough Reid will too may not be in a pies jumper though
Kirby's goal tally is good, but he's barely getting any of the ball at all even at VFL level. Only had 5 touches this week. You can get away with that at VFL level while sneaking a couple of goals, but I'm not sure it will translate that well to senior level. Would like to see him get a few weeks of 15ish disposals to go with his goals ideally imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kirby's goal tally is good, but he's barely getting any of the ball at all even at VFL level. Only had 5 touches this week. You can get away with that at VFL level while sneaking a couple of goals, but I'm not sure it will translate that well to senior level. Would like to see him get a few weeks of 15ish disposals to go with his goals ideally imo.
The stats probably reflect that yesterday was a really dour and difficult game, with the wind often prominent and a congested game style. But Kirby never looked like he got into the rhythm of the game at any point. It was fantastic that he kicked 2 goals, as it would have been a goaless really dirty day for most. But it wasn't a performance you would be debuting him for. Daicos is more a genuine possibility going off yetserdays game.

I was staggered that the centre clearance numbers ended up as close as they did: the fact is that we do sweet FA with our clearances, while other teams know how to capitalise.

Yeah, huge disparity in the quality of the clearances and capacity to retain the footy beyond the clearance in any meaningful way.

Your being a bit harsh CFC
You do realise if we won today we wouldn't have lost. Think about it.
And if we had won 6 of the games we lost then we would be on top of the ladder.
Therefore Buckley has in fact made us potentially the best side in the comp.
Why wouldn't you give him an extension. If it wasn't for the losses we would be on top of the ladder. What more do you want.
LOL. :thumbsu:

Agree. I'm as hot for Kirby to debut as anyone but could not have picked a worse week to only get 5 possessions. Daic's on the other hand appears to be starting to find the footy again.

Well I am ropable......Buckley had his biggest score put on his side this weekend as the Hawks ran rings around the defence and he had his best defender sitting in the VFL. Was a dumb call on Thursday night and its been proven to be a dumb call as of Sunday night.

Seriously how you even contemplate dropping Reid and retaining Dunn is laughable. Dunn had zero influence on that game. Dont get me wrong think Dunn has been good but he's not that good you cull Reid.

Because Buckley simply has lost the Plot and Longer he is there the Worse we get. He has destroyed the Club.

This.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Post Game - Pies 94 def by Hawks 118

Remove this Banner Ad

Back