Analysis Post game Pies v Suns. A terrific win

Remove this Banner Ad

That lace out pass straight onto a GC players chest when squaring it up was atrocious.

I want him to improve but honestly I don't think his kicking ever will.

Adams is not the only Collingwood Player that does that

Everyone was good yesterday. Hard to fault any player. We had a 10min lapse in the second term that hurt us which has happened all season with opposition getting a run on of goals during the momentum swing so we need to stamp this out but overall it was good.

We still sometimes get sucked in going to the ball and are left exposed on the outside so we need to strike out that balance.

Much has been said about Adams and his kicking but I don't see it as too big of an issue because he is still confident in executing the dangerous pass inside the corridor which I love to see in our players. Sure, he can turn it over but then he can also hit a daisy cutter to Elliott lace out if you see in the last corridor on the burst inside the centre square delivering inside 50. He just needs the consistency but he is on track.

The kids are developing really well. Williams, Broomhead, Oxley, Grundy, Langdon, Witts, De Goey, Seedsman, Adams etc.
Fantastic to see names like Marsh and Maynard as emergencies also shows we are developing well.

Ball use fantastic for most of the night. Varcoe wonderful.Tyson Goldsack kicking out of defence is fantastic. About time we found someone who can find a target or penetrate with distance. Has had a very good year since playing out of defence full time.

The champs all good- Pendles, Swanny and Sidebottom.

Wasn't a pretty win but you take that. A win is a win. Some good individual performances. The real negative is that 2 weeks in a row we gave up to many goals in a 5 min burst from the opposition. We can dominate for a quarter and only kick 4 goals but the opposition have a 5 to 10 min period and pile on 4 to 6 goals as easy as you like.

The real standard of the year was on display after our game. Realistically, our team is not producing anything like what the Swans and Hawks dished up on Saturday night. We need to keep this in mind with any comments on progress. That said, we are travelling far better than the naysayers of the "that's gold" ilk gave us any chance of doing as the year got under weigh. (this spelling is deliberate by the way). New players are showing something, and old ones are doing what they have always done.
Gold Coast are not in a good place at present, and you would expect to clean them up, but the win still has to be ground out on the field, and it was. If we can just get Ben Reid back, and the unopened presents don't get more injuries as they develop, Collingwood will be a good but not great side by the end of the year, with a real launching pad for 2016.

What did you think of the opposition? They were VFL quality tonight, IMO.
Some of their pressure in the first half, esp 2nd quarter was really good and they had some good running plays in the 2nd, but they faded badly obviously. Also their backline was terribly undermanned, had these little schoolboys on White and Cloke, If Jesse has a dominant forward game you have to wonder about the oppositoin, but it might be the confidence tonic he needs to step up a notch, guess we'll see next week.

So you would De-List him then?
Just because somebody criticises a player doesn't automatically mean they want them delisted. Stop taking everything to such extremes.

Some of their pressure in the first half, esp 2nd quarter was really good and they had some good running plays in the 2nd, but they faded badly obviously. Also their backline was terribly undermanned, had these little schoolboys on White and Cloke, If Jesse has a dominant forward game you have to wonder about the oppositoin, but it might be the confidence tonic he needs to step up a notch, guess we'll see next week.

Rory Thompson normally plays on Cloke and has beaten him the last 2 times they played

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sure that's all it is?
I think so. They showed a replay of Dixon's knee going into the back of Frost's left or right hamstring in a marking contest.

He came off directly after that incident. Depending on the severity of the corkie he may be okay for next week or he may miss a week or so.

White has been playing like that for the last few weeks, only difference this evening was he kicked straight.

White jagged 9 marks and kicked 2.2 against Geelong
Against Richmond he kicked 2.3
Tonight it was 4.1

White has been good this year, he is playing career best footy since we dropped Gault
This, and he is becoming more confident and his attack on the ball last night was great. Built like Tarzan and maybe he soon will play a lot more like Tarzan.

More consistent than Cloke for nearly a month now.

My thoughts on listening to the game and watching the highlights package:

White provided a target and crashed packs and 4 goals a great return.

Varcoe a 4 qtr effort with dash into our F50, best game yet after a good start to the year.

Oxley starting to blossom and getting good numbers is a good user and has a high cieling.

Sidebottom was great after a medium layoff and great to have back in with our harder games coming up.

Pendlebury was a great game from him in his milestone game.

One thing that I noticed at the ground last night was that young De Goey worked really hard on the outside to provide an option. He didn't get used a hell of a lot but the effort was really good I thought, especially as it sounds like that's something the coaches have asked him to improve.

That lace out pass straight onto a GC players chest when squaring it up was atrocious.

I want him to improve but honestly I don't think his kicking ever will.

I was at the pub and hit a guy across me, on the shoulder with a spurt of beer when I saw that exact incident.

Just as his shirt was drying off, Nathan Brown did the same thing. The outcome for the poor guy was also the same.

Adams just needs to learn what his limitations are. Once he does that he would be a gun player!
At his age and AFL experience it would be wrong for any coach to put a set of "limitations" on him.
I would be worried if the player or club thinks like this.
In fact, the club, coaches and team mates would be encouraging him to take risks, to push his skills to the limit each and every time he wins the ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Post game Pies v Suns. A terrific win

Remove this Banner Ad

Back