Analysis Post match Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

You don't take criticism well, do you?
Criticism involves a lot more than ignoring "a crock of shit" figures because they don't support your misguided opinion. Let me know when you can present a logical argument.

Same DE% as Sidey last night. Adams made a couple errors but some of his disposal was sublime. Of course he can get better but he's not as bad as a lot make out
Surprised no-one has mentioned Sidey's average disposal by foot til now. Was a bit average at times, as it was last year.

Criticism involves a lot more than ignoring "a crock of shit" figures because they don't support your misguided opinion. Let me know when you can present a logical argument.
So worked up over a "misguided opinion".

Doesn't take much to ruffle the feathers, eh?

As for "misguided opinion", I don't need the disposal efficiency figures that are just as innacurate as my "misguided opinion", to know that Taylor Adams disposal was and still is shit house. Whether or not thats based on his skill, or his decision making, is irrelevant, as it concludes in the same result.

Now, do you really think the legitimacy of the disposal efficiency numbers have never been argued about before? Because, it's been discussed for years and years, and only those are truly misguided, actually take them with more than a grain of salt.

Try not to get too mad when you read this post :)

So worked up over a "misguided opinion".

Doesn't take much to ruffle the feathers, eh?

As for "misguided opinion", I don't need the disposal efficiency figures that are just as innacurate as my "misguided opinion", to know that Taylor Adams disposal was and still is shit house. Whether or not thats based on his skill, or his decision making, is irrelevant, as it concludes in the same result.

Now, do you really think the legitimacy of the disposal efficiency numbers have never been argued about before? Because, it's been discussed for years and years, and only those are truly misguided, actually take them with more than a grain of salt.

Try not to get too mad when you read this post :)
doesnt take much, old mate - I wouldn't be concerned.

Continue with your quality posts, I for one understand your sound logic

Athletically Hird wasn't anything much above average and from my perspective ferocious attack on the contest isn't an athletic trait, it's a mindset. Ball was a guy that had no power whatsoever (post OP), but shared that ferociousness at the contest.

I'd also say that Hird shared a manic desire for the ball, but his was less boom crash opera more finesse. Let's say though that they don't share the same power through the contest (I'm not so sure myself because I never saw Hird nailed in a tackle which takes an element of power) does that lessen the other traits they share? Not in my opinion. The most basic reasoning I can provide is in line with Ed's comments that he won't need to have 30 possessions to make an impact, but like Hird he can do as much damage with 15-20 because of those intangibles.

All told I'd prefer him to become Milane like myself because I think that would match our prospective midfield perfectly so on that front lets hope you're spot on the money.

FFS I just lost half a post I've been working on for 20 minutes because of the goddam upgrade. Suffice to say he looks the goods.

There would be a number of players that we could make comparisons with Jordy's playing style and Hird would be well down the list....in my humble opinion. Never mentioned that ferocious attack on the footy was an athletic trait, however did mention De Goey has elite power which is an Athletic Trait.
For me Hird's uncanny awareness and agility assisted his movement through a pack of players whereas De Goey demonstrated an ability to shrug players off before moving away from the contest. Agility and speed is something he'll need to continue working on...anyway Ill stop banging on about this now- he's gonna be a ripper im sure that something we both agree on.

I actually watched a different version of the game to many of the posters here. In the one I saw, Williams' was the team's most unreliable disposer of the ball, worse than Adams or anyone else. I found myself alternating between heart in mouth moments when I'd be riding every one of Williams' kicking errors into the hands of an opponent, and loudly cursing Brereton's commentary, to the chagrin of the cluster of hawthorn supporters dominating the sport's bar floor.

People here have praised Williams' disposal. I thought Williams was picking up where he left off last year, but taking a couple of further steps downhill. Yet this version of the game seems to have been beamed exclusively to me, while everyone else saw a Williams who was gracefully pirouetting, side stepping and disposing with pin point accuracy to a teammate.

Psychiatrist visits are not covered for those with only compulsory medicare insurance, are they?

Last edited:
I actually watched a different version of the game to many of the posters here. In the one I saw, Williams' was the team's most unreliable disposer of the ball, worse than Adams or anyone else. I found myself alternating between heart in mouth moments when I'd be riding every one of Williams' kicking errors into the hands of an opponent, and loudly cursing Brereton's commentary, to the chagrin of the cluster of hawthorn supporters dominating the sport's bar floor.

People here have praised Williams' disposal. I thought Williams was picking up where he left off last year, but taking a couple of further steps downhill. Yet this version of the game seems to have been beamed exclusively to me, while everyone else saw a Williams who was gracefully pirouetting, side stepping and disposing with pin point accuracy to a teammate.

Psychiatrist visits are not covered for those with only compulsory medicare insurance, are they?
Has Williams ever been a good disposer of the ball?

People seem to think that just because a player like Toovey can get away with bad disposal, so can Adams. It doesn't really work like that.

Tooveys first and foremost job, is to defend. If he can do that, then that's fine. His role isn't to be a line breaking defender, or set up counter attacks from the back half.

I remember plenty of people were calling for his head quite a few years ago, and around 2010 was when his disposal sharpened up a bit to adequate. Players like Toovey know their limitations, and will be ready to dish off an easy handpass to a better players.

A player like Toovey also isn't expected to accumulate 20+ possessions a game, and expected to set up attacks in the front half.

It's why when we had Heath Shaw, a player who drove those metres gained, was allowed free reign to leave his man. That's a fairer comparison to be given, to a player like Adams regarding disposal.

Think we would still have more games.

Off the top of my head Hawthorn only had Gunstan, frawley, Macvoy and Mitchell as senior good players. The rest were newbies or fringe players.

Breust, stratton, langford, dureya and shiels was their captain for the night making up the eight and simpkin played in 13 flag

Just rewatched the match and some made some observations about the younger crop.
Kennedys ball use is getting MUCH better. he attack the ball and is a good head on shoulders, the thing in the pass was his efficiency but Thursdays game proved he can actually kick.
Thomas was one that caught my attention, got involved in the attack, but his ball use, IMO wasnt up to scratch.
De Goey looks right at home at the Senior level. Already looks like a gun. Better than Beams already :) ;)
Ive been harping all along that Karnezis deserves a spot in the 22 and he showed he belongs in there.
Whites A Lot more bigger and presents well now.
Fasolo Surprised me, with all the new kids coming in, thought he might be pushed a side but no, instead he stood up and showed hes got what it takes to cement a spot in the 22.
Langdon, IMO, could easily become our new Heath Shaw, hes got that special something about him
Freeman, got a run for a little over half the game, of what i saw he presents himself as a Dangerfield type player, VERY DANGEROUS
Gaults been a long project that is starting to pay off, string together a few more impressive NAB games and he may find him self in the 22
Crisp Uses the ball surprisingly well. Good height and poise, could be a really good get, Cheers Brisbane
Adams was good, accumulated the ball, may need to work on his efficiency though, Such a big body almost like a brick wall.
Dont think it was Broomheads best outing. Got involved in the attack a bit but wasnt as efficient as i would have hoped.

Really do love the direction the pies are going in. kind of feeling sorry for Bucks. How on earth does he pick the best 22 when 35 players are putting their hands up for game time. We looked good on Thursday and hopefully can continue the form. CARN THE PIES :):):)

Has Williams ever been a good disposer of the ball?

People seem to think that just because a player like Toovey can get away with bad disposal, so can Adams. It doesn't really work like that.

Tooveys first and foremost job, is to defend. If he can do that, then that's fine. His role isn't to be a line breaking defender, or set up counter attacks from the back half.

I remember plenty of people were calling for his head quite a few years ago, and around 2010 was when his disposal sharpened up a bit to adequate. Players like Toovey know their limitations, and will be ready to dish off an easy handpass to a better players.

A player like Toovey also isn't expected to accumulate 20+ possessions a game, and expected to set up attacks in the front half.

It's why when we had Heath Shaw, a player who drove those metres gained, was allowed free reign to leave his man. That's a fairer comparison to be given, to a player like Adams regarding disposal.

Adams' disposal was fine all game. He shanked it like once and it didn't hurt us.

Gave away 1 free last night and 7 frees in the 10 games last year so I can only assume you accidently typed an "a" before the "few"?
Thanks for pointing that out (genuinely no sarcasm intended); had always been my (as it turns out subjective, not backed up by evidence) recollectiom that he gave away free kicks by catching opposition players too high. Might just be confirmation bias based on isolated instances in his early 2014 games.

Will try to have another look at the first quarter later, though, as I could have sworn he gave away a free kick early and at least another in the third.

But barring that turning anything up, I think I'd have to concede on both counts,to be honest. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tommy Langdon picked up where he left off in 2014. Just like that, no fuss, no carry on, went out and did his job. Must be a dream to coach. In just one year we have come to rely on this guy.

Average games last night - Pies 46 v Haws 42
Wow, that's even closer than I thought it would be.

Puts in to perspective just how even the teams were in terms of experience.

Well watched the game again and the key thing I noticed was the pressure all over the ground. there was one period were they either took the foot off or tired but came back strongly. Although it is worth noting that we had over 160 inter changes.

I didn't worry too about opposition as you can only beat what you are up against and we did that convincingly.

Don't see the issues re Adams, thought he worked hard and his disposal is much improved, still see a lot of upside in him.

Was surprised by Ramsey and Gault, both young players and have improved from last year, would hang on to both.

The only slight disappointment was Varcoe, I think I will reserve judgement, but for a senior experience player, didn't impress me in this game.

And... as I have critised Fasolo in the past, his kicking for goal is one of the best in the team.

Edit: I thought it was good of JBrown to give us a clue that the Brisbane backline during practice matches had difficulty in manning K. thanks!

I'm a huge fan of Adams but when he gets the ball you can't help but feel nervous. I think his poor disposal is definitely amplified by poor decision making. He definitely needs to learn his limits when coming out of the back half.

Adams is very much like Nathan Jones in that regard. A bull and a ball magnet but with the habit of turning it over by foot. Jones has become a good user of the footy as he's reached his peak and I think if Adams can become a similar player or reach a similar level then we'll have a very good player for the next 10 years. He's number 1 job is to win the hard ball and clearances and as long as he does that well then you can cop an error or 2 by foot. The bloke thrives on the hard stuff and that's what will win us finals in the future.

Maxy he might be as good as....in 200 games or so.....but Jimmy Clement? No put downs on young Tommy but that's like comparing silk to sail cloth.
Not so sure about that. Clement was serviceable during his time at Freo, but didn't really hit his straps until he was traded to Collingwood. I'd argue that Langdon is at least the equal of Clement at the same stage of their careers, maybe even a little bit ahead.

Don't really see the comparison with Clement. Jimmy was lightning quick over 20m, strong as an ox, a great judge of the ball in flight, a beautiful kick of the pill and a competitive beast. The best backman ive seen at Collingwood in all honesty.

But I am excited about Tommy. F*** it, he'll be better! :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Post match Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back