Analysis Post match Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I've already had 4 scotches and I'm about to have a nightcap to see me out for the night :thumbsu:

Take a couple of neurofen pills as well. You will thank me in the morning.

The Good:

Langdon: Played the Maxwell role perfectly, lots of intercept marking and strength in the contests. Missed some kicks but a great game.

Sidebottom: Sloppy at times but found plenty of the ball and lead well

Adams: Similar to Sidebottom, found plenty of it but still needs to get the shocking kicks out of his game to take the next step.

Williams: Very strong in the contest, very rarely lost a contest.

Kennedy: Busy all night and got a lot of ball going our way

Fasolo: Back where he belongs and doing what he does best, could be in for a big year UP FORWARD. 4 Goals and lots of strong marking, great to see.

Greenwood: Started slowly but got better as the match went on, showed good signs late especially in the contest.

Karnezis: Like Fasolo, he has a lot to prove in 2015. Was very dangerous all game and could add a lot to our forward line.

White: Strong all game and showed great aggression

Gault: Showed everything you want a young KPF to show, needs to do it every week now.

De Goey: Super impressive final quarter, showed strong hands, composure and foot skills. Super excited by this kid.

The Bad:

Brown: Beaten badly early and provided no rebound

Varcoe: Timid early and made a few mistakes late, probably still warming up.

Frost: Didn't give any rebound and defensively was ok

The Rest:

Broomhead: Seemed to float through the game, did a few nice things then went missing for patches.

Dywer/Oxley: Very limited game time playing as the subs, neither really had an impact.

Goldsack: Barely touched the ball, got a nice goal early.

Toovey: Subbed off early

Grundy: Good around the ground and competed fine in the ruck, probably drew with Ceglar in the end.

Crisp: Started well then faded, showed enough to suggest he can make a career for himself.

Freeman: Has played very little football in the past year and it showed, didn't have an impact and his disposal was ordinary. Want to see an improvement next game.

Sinclair: Competed well but kicking is still poor

Ramsay: Did a few decent things, didn't notice him much.

Thomas: Found a lot of the ball without being too damaging.
Varcoe named best on the Afl website???? He was reasonable, but best on.

My Thoughts:

• Grundy was easily the best Ruckman out there and has looked like he could go to the Next Level this Season. Did not seem to Ru Out of Gas Much. Loved his Goal and Work around the ground. Has thrown the Gattlent down to Witts to be the Number 1 Ruckman
  • De Goey showed how good he can be. Couragse mark, Hard Tackling, Use Both Feet well and Roved the Ball well at start of 4th Qtr from the Ruck Contest
  • Gault showed that IF we have to use him. He can do a Job
  • Broomhead was very quiet
  • Greenwood is Tough of Nails
  • Varcoe’s kicking Skill to the Forward’s was good
  • Crisp did his Job
  • White beating Frawley
  • Sidebottom had a very good game as Captain

Well... for mine...

Jesse White took a lot out of being the hit-up forward. Aggressive, dangerous and moves well. Very agile. Actually plays the 2008 Cloke role.

Loved De Goey's work tonight. Capped off with the highlight of the centre clearance to the Gault mark. He's going to have benefited greatly from the run tonight on a few of the Hawks more dangerous mids.

Fas and PK showed their better sides - sneaky, dangerous forwards who can slip off their opponents but also capable of standing up and clunking when they need to. Will only add to our forward armoury.

Liked Ben Ken's attack early on. He may have faded but he is still working on the tank and his footy smarts are still pretty good.

Some of our stalwarts - Tooves, Goldy, Sinkers - going through the motions but I wasn't really expecting them to shine. So nothing to worry about there.

Also liked Grundy running a little harder. He's probably still going to need to go easy Q2/Q3 to allow him to go hard Q4 this year but there's good signs.

Oh. And teamwork. Fast hands, courage and flair. Lovely to watch. Even in a scratch match. Has a bit of Bucks' stamp to it.

Corey Gault is horrible around the ground/below his knees. But his centre square ruck work I thought was quite good, hands are still very iffy but excellent to see him clunk one.

Good:
Grundy
Kennedy
Elliot
Langdon (kicking poor though)
Greenwood
De Goey
White
Karnezis
Fasolo
Sinclair

Bad:
Freeman
Varcoe
Brown
Frost
Adams

Great night to see the youth step out, no injuries so clearly a big tick overall
Harsh on Adams-23 possies and looked lively. Disposal not brilliant, but not terrible either. Certainly wasn't bad.

Harsh on Adams-23 possies and looked lively. Disposal not brilliant, but not terrible either. Certainly wasn't bad.

He was 1 of our Better Players. Had some Good Kicks as well. Would run thru a Wall

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Always good to whack these campaigners, even if it is only NAB Challenge.

But the best part of this win? A scoreline which doesn't look like an anorexic fashion model. 116 points, if you don't mind!

Oh, and no injuries for once. Thank merciful (insert deity of choice here)!

Only bad part is that we have to wait 17 days before we can do this to Carlton... :(

Lets talk about Brown. He was pretty woeful early on and didn't really improve as the game progressed. Thoughts on our backline for 2015?

1. Alex Fasolo - Did some nice things up forward, was having question marks over him but I can't wait to see him and Elliott up forward together. Seemed to get his hands on the ball in tight and dish it of well.

2. Sam Dwyer - Came on as the sub and used the ball well but hardly sighted.

4. Brodie Grundy - Terrific in the ruck tonight, our mids will love roving off him.

5. Jamie Elliott - Quiet by his standards but still hit the scoreboard and had some good moments. Went up for a speccie which is good to see.

6. Tyson Goldsack - Pressure was good but needs to make himself more dangerous. When he went off I thought the team did well to continue the pressure.

7. Ben Kennedy - Was very lively and tackled well.

8. Tom Langdon - Intercept marking was great, was a bit lazy with his kicking but if he concentrates more we'll be fine. Absolutely killed it.

9. Jessie White - Was good early and was marking the ball but faded out of the game.

13. Taylor Adams - Butchered the ball a bit but was mostly good being able to get his hands on the ball in tight and made some good plays. I'm excited to see him this season but I'll be angry if he doesn't have a good year.

16. Nathan Brown - Looked rusty early when he let McEvoy kick 2 on him but its been the first time since he has had an AFL standard opponent. Was a solid brick wall in defence for the rest of the game. Used the ball ok and was barely beaten one on one. Will improve our defence massively.

18. Travis Varcoe - Was quiet early but got better as the game went on. Made a few nice kicks on the outside and some slick hand balls on the inside.

19. Levi Greenwood - Like Varcoe was quiet early but picked it up when the game went on. Look forward to seeing him next to Pendlebury and Swan.

21. Freeman - Another that was quiet early but got his hands on the ball when the game went on.

22. Steele Sidebottom - Was great tonight and was great in transition.

24. Josh Thomas - Got his hands on the ball and was good in traffic ball use could be better.

25. Jack Crisp - Did alright for a packet of chips. Going better than I expected.

26. Marley Williams - Was solid in defence and got his hands on the ball, kicking needs to be better.

28. Ben Sinclair - Gave us a bit of dash and was surprised by his kicking. I wouldn't mind him coming off the half back flank.

29. Tim Broomhead - Was quiet and I find it hard to see him getting a game over Fasolo or Karnezis early in the season.

31. Jackson Ramsay - Butchered the ball a bit but looked strong made some good decisions and took the game on.

33. Patrick Karnezis - I hope what Brown said was true and he is fitter because he looked equally as comfortable close to goals and up the field.

34. Alan Toovey - Was quiet and got subbed out but I think he plays better the less he gets the ball.

35. Jordan De Goey - Kick the ball yourself, its not like there a plenty of great kicks around, other than that I thought he was great, tackled hard and won his own ball.

43. Adam Oxley - Didn't get a heap of it but used it well once he was subbed on.

44. Corey Gault - Was great as a target. My favourite moment of the game was when De Goey got the clearance and he took the mark. In line for a promotion.

45. Jack Frost - Didn't do much but neither did his opponent.

Some pleasing signs.

Karnezis was a threat. Liked what he offered and he looks like a best 22 player if he can continue to build on that performance. Just a smart guy who can find it in space which few can do easier.

Gault showed some signs up forward and could failing the presence of Grundy/Witts be a backup plan and used in the absence of one or the other as a minor minutes relief ruck who mostly plays forward. I liked the way he attacked it in the air and his tackling and pressure game for a big was also strong. He is a worker and will continue to improve with good health, so don't sleep on the possibility of him getting games this season.

Fasolo impressed me up forward. His 1v1 marking overhead and strength is a weapon and for a balanced front half he is another critical piece to winning.

Grundy was a big positive and I thought overall he outplayed Ceglar. His running has clearly improved which is a terrific compliment to his ground level ability without losing any of his strength - which was superior to that of both Ceglar and McEvoy as it should with neither of them super strong guys. Pretty good for a 3rd year ruckman!

De Goey fit in seamlessly and can play round one as long as he continues to improve.

Varcoe showed the necessary flashes and should get selected as a regular.

----

Looking at the teams on paper overall the result is as expected, though more convincing than I had anticipated. It just shows the depth of good young talent we have developing which is among the best in the competition as a list that genuinely goes 35 deep, with Sydney that only other team I would regarding sheer depth down to the bottom of the list be as complimentary of.

Anyone using 'bad' to describe pre season games has a limited grasp on reality.

Just fair, might be being a tad harsh - but hope to see his confidence build over the coming weeks heading into R1
GImme a spell - "tad harsh"? - he was clearly one of the best 3 players on the ground.

I though Armstrong played as well as I've seen him for some time! :D

Seriously though, in hindsight it would've been a good game to see how he went running it out of defence. I think the game would've suited him and he would've played well.

Varcoe was a bit meh for me. First hit out in B&W so not real worried but was far from best IMO. Looked like he was just trying to hard.

Gee Greenwood is a beast when he gets going. That second half he bought some real toughness we haven't seen for a longtime around the contest.

I know we paid good money for him, but we've addressed a need I think to bring some physicality back into our game.

We look so much more balanced with the addition of the new trade in and recruits. We still have Shaz to come back in also.

It goes without saying that Cloke comes straight in. However wouldn't mind your thoughts on the impact it will have on much more mobile, unpredictable and smaller forwardline that didnt have any difficulties scoring tonight. Will it create more options or will we go back to more predictable pattern of bombing it into Trav?

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Post match Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back