Analysis Post match Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I worked out the reason why tonight and it's simple -- when he is fatigued and drops concentration he takes his eyes of the ball and doesn't watch it onto the boot when he kicks. He looks at the target instead.
Maybe I'm a freak, cause I can drop the footy on my boot whilst looking at the target and hit it.

Positives
  • Sidebottom. Decent game, but as you'd expect
  • Tom Langdon. This is HIS role, playing that Maxwell role, and I feel very comfortable when he has the ball in his hands and when he's in a matchup. What a pickup.
  • Josh Thomas. HARD at it. Nuff said. Decent hands in tight contests. Not a flashy player, but he gets the job done in close.
  • Ben Kennedy. Similar to Josh Thomas, thought he was hard at it as well, won some nice contested possessions and clearances. Very courageous tonight, particularly for a NAB cup game.
  • Fasolo up forward. Please Bucks, please!
  • Levi Greenwood. Good pick up :)
  • Patrick Karnezis. Decent when played in the midfield, and even better when was up forward. We will be potent if we have half of Cloke, White, Karnezis, Fasolo and Elliott up and firing up forward.
  • Tim Broomhead. Just a classy player, and very clean hands.
  • Jesse White. Shined in the intra club match, and even better tonight, I thought. He will be important for us to make finals.
  • Jack Crisp. Only 13 disposals, surprisingly, but I was impressed with every single possession he obtained. He WILL play for us in Round 1.
  • Ben Sinclair. Thought he was solid down back. Will be a handy rotation as a small defender, this season, and very keen to see how he develops.
  • Brodie Grundy. I noticed it during the intra club match, and I noticed it again tonight. This guy oozes intimidation. Expecting a big season from him.
In-between
  • Taylor Adams. Look, we know the kid can get the pill, he just needs to work on what he can do with it. I have never been the biggest fan of Adams, and I'm still not convinced.
  • Corey Gault. Hmmm, I'm still not too hyped with Gault, but I am pleasantly surprised. I think with the big blokes, you need to give them as much time as they need. Tom Hawkins comes to mind, and I think Gault does show some signs of potential. I am very keen to see how he develops over the season.
Negatives
  • Goldsack, didn't really do much.
  • Travis Varcoe. Ehhhh

Grundy was a big positive and I thought overall he outplayed Ceglar. His running has clearly improved which is a terrific compliment to his ground level ability without losing any of his strength - which was superior to that of both Ceglar and McEvoy as it should with neither of them super strong guys. Pretty good for a 3rd year ruckman!

Agree his Fitness and Running Complicity has improved.

Also he gave away no free’s;)

Brodie Grundy. I noticed it during the intra club match, and I noticed it again tonight. This guy oozes intimidation. Expecting a big season from him.

He just Ran Threw some Smaller Dawk Players

Lets talk about Brown. He was pretty woeful early on and didn't really improve as the game progressed. Thoughts on our backline for 2015?
Surely it's a confidence thing.
He has to learn to trust his shoulder again.
And it wouldn't have helped to see the Hawthorn player go off so early in the game.

Was great being there live, wasn't sure what to expect but seeing the hawks outs just before the game swayed me to thinking we'd win (put a Pies + Azarenka multi on @$5.07).

No real standouts for me which is probably pleasing. Thought Crisp was really good and was surprised to see he only had 14 touches. White was impressive but he just needs to clunk a lot more marks. Faz and PK very good around goals.

Looking forward to getting home and watching it whilst seeing if my multi can get up

Lets talk about Brown. He was pretty woeful early on and didn't really improve as the game progressed. Thoughts on our backline for 2015?

Browns played 5 games in 2 years or so. Calm down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi guys and girls sorry to intrude, I never seen the game just wondering how Varcoe went? and where did you play him?

Made some nice kicks on the oustside and some slick handalls in tight. Will probably play as a defender winger as our forward in Elliot, Fasolo and Karnezis have the forwardline covered.

Hi guys and girls sorry to intrude, I never seen the game just wondering how Varcoe went? and where did you play him?

He played mainly on the half forward flank. Seemed to be a step of the pace early but improved as the game went on. His delivery into the forward 50 was good.

For me the stand out performers were Fasolo, Karnezis, Langdon, White, Greenwood, Thomas, Greenwood and Grundy.
Broomhead was disappointing and rarely sighted.
William's disposal was appalling, and unlike for others here, Kennedy was next to non-existent for most of the game for me.
Hopefully Frost is not going to be the pivotal piece in our defence. He looked all at sea in that one out contest against Gunston.
Brown will surely (?) get better.
Gault really showed something tonight after I had written him off early in the game.
Generally the boys were impressive tonight. Better than I expected.
I loved Fasolo's arrogant dominance of the forward line.

Anyone else impressed with Gault's timing his jumps in the ruck?

Seriously, Grundy ALWAYS lands his jump while the ball is still coming down. So frustrating!!

Good win anyway. Keep it up boys.

Yep, his commentary was absolutely shitful.

I though J Brown was great. He made some good observations and I enjoyed his humour. Luckily you don't have Foxtel. Enjoy Bruce!

I think jonathon brown made a good comment about nathan brown. Said he would be nervous about putting his arms up until he gets some game time...I think thats a fair comment.

i was surprised at freeman's disposal but he would have been nervous.

I thought adam's disposal looked better.

I think the comment by scott burns that we're probably 3 weeks ahead of the hawks is pretty relevant.

I think we strung possessions through the midfield better than we did early last year.

I think ben kennedy will get more game time this year.

i think langdon will play as well as he did last year.

degoey will do well. You can't beat top ten draft picks when you're building a team..

For me the stand out performers were Fasolo, Karnezis, Langdon, White, Greenwood, Thomas, Greenwood and Grundy.
Broomhead was disappointing and rarely sighted.
William's disposal was appalling, and unlike for others here, Kennedy was next to non-existent for most of the game for me.
Hopefully Frost is not going to be the pivotal piece in our defence. He looked all at sea in that one out contest against Gunston.
Brown will surely (?) get better.
Gault really showed something tonight after I had written him off early in the game.
Generally the boys were impressive tonight. Better than I expected.
I loved Fasolo's arrogant dominance of the forward line.

Frost was not to blame for that Gunston goal and using that as an assessment for his prospects is really unfair. Fasolo got a few cheap goals against a Box Hill standard backline.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Post match Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back