Analysis Post match Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the most good thing about the game is, that can trust these players to come and play their role well, if injures occur again during the season.

Agree with most of this but why do so many people rate Macaffer as a "walk up start in Pies best 22"? I reckon he is up there with Blair as one of the most over-rated Collingwood players of the past decade. What has he ever done? If his opponent beats the tag, Macaffer becomes a liability. He doesn't win much of the ball, isn't a great kick and virtually never hits the scoreboard. He's a one-dimensional player in an era where flexibility is key.

This

The offended on the main board is strong. You'd think we were playing the Box Hill Under 9s

EDIT: I did not write "offended"
I wondered, whilst I read your post if the term "**** Smokers" would be auto corrected by the auto thought police...
We shall see I suppose.
Rhymes with "Dock Chokers".

Finally finished watching the game. Of all the players and my expectations of them, Crisp and Sinclair were the two who really stood out. Both should be in serious consideration for round 1 if they continue the form.
Agree. I thought Telly Karnesis and Gault showed a bit too.
Love to see Gault at FF and Cloke at CHF all year.

I will give him one thing, he usually gets the players names right. Something Brian Taylor cannot fathom.
His constant chatter over the plays negates the vast majority of opportunities to call player's names. If he usually 'gets them right', I am afraid that his annoying loquaciousness totally obliterates with me the few positives that more objective observers such as yourself might perceive.

The best thing I saw was not only the effort but the SPEED and ENDURANCE we missed last year and kicking was mostly on target. Those were three areas we really lacked last year. Varcoe looks dangerous with a precision kick, Great trade if he can stay on the field. Greenwood looked like a ball getter as did Adams, De Goey, and Sidebottom. Nathan Brown looked better as the game wore on and Langdon looks fitter in his second year. Grundy also looked better in the ruck as the game wore on and looks like he's improving in the forward line. He may be able to cement the 2nd ruck/forward role and allow White to roam more and team up with Cloke which would allow Cloke more 1 on 1's instead of always being double and tripled teamed.

I think we are poised well with a good 30-35 players who can rotate in and out of the side if injuries creep up again.

Just reading the main board, jeez there's a lot of crap on there about us having close to best 22 against box hill Hawks.

I know the average age of the hawks was slightly younger, but I'd be interested to see the average games played between both teams. That would probably shed a bit more light on the strength of the respective sides.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was anyone else as impressed with Jonathon Browns performance last night as much as I was?

Not sure if serious. A fantastic footballer, but I will struggle to listen to Foxtel when he is commentating games. What about his performance impressed you? I find his voice grating, and his 'banter' with his fellow commentators sounded like he was in a bar with his mates. No problem with that if he actually is in a bar with his mates, but he was broadcasting on television. I expect insights and analysis from the footy commentators, not blokey jokes. How many times did he mention how good Patty K was? About 20 times? I appreciate that he values PK, but didn't need to hear it so often. Also didnt appreciate his jibe at Eddie about the Beams trade. Not professional at all.

I'll get off my high horse now.:rolleyes:

Just reading the main board, jeez there's a lot of crap on there about us having close to best 22 against box hill Hawks.

I know the average age of the hawks was slightly younger, but I'd be interested to see the average games played between both teams. That would probably shed a bit more light on the strength of the respective sides.

Think we would still have more games.

Off the top of my head Hawthorn only had Gunstan, frawley, Macvoy and Mitchell as senior good players. The rest were newbies or fringe players.

Think we would still have more games.

Off the top of my head Hawthorn only had Gunstan, frawley, Macvoy and Mitchell as senior good players. The rest were newbies or fringe players.
Yeah, I don't know either way, that's why I'd be interested in seeing it.

Haha all good, you can accept mediocrity.

I don't accept mediocrity. In fact I have been critical of Adams' disposal, as I was of Ball's and as I am of Sinclair's. What I don't accept is that there was any logic in your post.

You argued that we should expect more of Adams in terms of disposal than we do of two other players because he is expected to be Ball's replacement, all the whole ignoring that Ball had worse disposal than all three players.

Nonsensical.

I don't accept mediocrity. In fact I have been critical of Adams' disposal, as I was of Ball's and as I am of Sinclair's. What I don't accept is that there was any logic in your post.

You argued that we should expect more of Adams in terms of disposal than we do of two other players because he is expected to be Ball's replacement, all the whole ignoring that Ball had worse disposal than all three players.

Nonsensical.
I have never said Ball has had worse disposal.

Please find a post where I've said that, if you do, then you can rant and rave about "logic".

I'll be sitting here, waiting :)

I have never said Ball has had worse disposal.

Please find a post where I've said that, if you do, then you can rant and rave about "logic".

I'll be sitting here, waiting :)

You did not, in fact I stated that as fact when I said you ignored it. Unless your view is that Ball had good disposal (which he cleary did not), then your post did not make sense.

Not sure if serious. A fantastic footballer, but I will struggle to listen to Foxtel when he is commentating games. What about his performance impressed you? I find his voice grating, and his 'banter' with his fellow commentators sounded like he was in a bar with his mates. No problem with that if he actually is in a bar with his mates, but he was broadcasting on television. I expect insights and analysis from the footy commentators, not blokey jokes. How many times did he mention how good Patty K was? About 20 times? I appreciate that he values PK, but didn't need to hear it so often. Also didnt appreciate his jibe at Eddie about the Beams trade. Not professional at all.

I'll get off my high horse now.:rolleyes:
I rated Brown's commentary last night. Being someone who just retired, he seemed to have a lot more knowledge on forwards and backs compared to the usual rubbish the special comments men throw out.

You did not, in fact I stated that as fact when I said you ignored it. Unless your view is that Ball had good disposal (which he cleary did not), then your post did not make sense.
Ball had adequate disposal.

Taylor Adams does not.

Comprehend?

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Post match Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back