Remove this Banner Ad

Simon_Nesbit

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 26, 2001
Tasmania
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Big :thumbsu:

I've been driven to post this thread, not so much over one particular comment, but more the spread of his commentary, especially in the quasi-analytical format of On the Couch.

Throughout his career I always saw him as massively over-rated by the general media (a genuine hatred for red-and-black will do that), and no more than a very good player - not the superstar he was written up as.

With maturity (both he and my own), I can reflect back on a lot of the 'luck' he had on the field, and appreciate that perhaps he was indeed closer to the media perception of him than my own.

Since moving into the media, he has truly been a "breath of fresh air" - along with Buckley's first season, he shows genuine insight into the way football is played, picking up on situations/circumstances/skills that very few other commentators or analysts can.

The more I see (hear) of Hird, the higher his value is in my eyes - in a strange sort of way elevating his career in my memory. (Similarly I've found Voss lost a lot of his lustre in his woeful - albeit brief - commentary stint).

Hopefully the employment of Buckley and Hird will lead to a new generation of commentators/analysts that don't rely on the sensationalisation of "not news" for their stories.

:thumbsu:

PS: I also appreciate the "well obviously I bleed black and red, but...." comments. He has a bias, he acknowledges it, and the public can view his comments through that lens. (Hits the mark 99% of the time anyway, regardless of his self-imposed 'bias')

Some (most) other commentators should take note.

PPS: I still hate Essendon.

agreed, although when he starts talking about essendon and "sheeds" i lose interest quickly

but when hes talking about stuff he has no vested interest in, hes pretty good

great OP.

I'm interested to read it, because I personlly reckon Hird has been unbelievable OTC. I thought he was very ordinary on TFS, but it wasn't his scene. Whereas his demeanor & insight that he gives OTC is quite extraordinary; and most of it is very thought-provoking. Pretty much all football followers whose opinion I rate have said similar things.

It's good to hear you are finally starting to come to appreciate Hird's omnipotence :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Omnipotence is all powerful, and when you're all powerful, you don't need to know everything.

Hird: "Seals are reptiles."
Robert Walls: "No, they're not."
Hird: "They are now."
Robert Walls: "Oh man, they are too. And my penis fell off."

Remove this Banner Ad

Post Playing Hird

Remove this Banner Ad

Back