Team Mgmt. Makeup of our team II - Strengths & deficiencies, player development

Remove this Banner Ad

IMO our midfield is the big reason why the back line and foward line look so bad.
The midfield bombing inside 50 is an indictment on the forward group by how little the fwd line moves and works to open up space behind them.

I think the midfield group just got tired tonight, tired of kicking long and then the Swans defenders just run the ball out. The back line probably a result of how little pressure the midfield group puts on but then the repeat entries the opposition gets

its a triple edged sword

Watching live at the game I can say the two biggest things that Sydney did really well which we did horribly and that’s selflessness and skill ball movement.

Selflessness will help the ball movement aswell it can go hand in hand whether that’s shepherding the running player to allow them more time to use the ball or leading hard to create space behind for another player to lead in.

The biggest thing for me was seeing how well Sydney’s defenders where set up they all supported eachother with killing the ball and manning up the bigger priority over trying to intercept and be ‘ahead’ of the game.

The other thing was how well they all talked and gave instruction without the ball and there was absolutely none of that for us with most worried about themselves. There was constant reassurance between them with one good act having the whole backline come over to support and same couldn’t be said for us with players getting just one player give a tap either for a good or wrong thing.

The backline is a huge worry for me it needs better ball users and a better sense of structure and support for eachother. When a first year player in Archie Roberts is the one doing those things more than them it’s a real issue especially when he hasn’t been playing most of the year and is a first year player.

Watching live at the game I can say the two biggest things that Sydney did really well which we did horribly and that’s selflessness and skill ball movement.

Selflessness will help the ball movement aswell it can go hand in hand whether that’s shepherding the running player to allow them more time to use the ball or leading hard to create space behind for another player to lead in.

The biggest thing for me was seeing how well Sydney’s defenders where set up they all supported eachother with killing the ball and manning up the bigger priority over trying to intercept and be ‘ahead’ of the game.

The other thing was how well they all talked and gave instruction without the ball and there was absolutely none of that for us with most worried about themselves. There was constant reassurance between them with one good act having the whole backline come over to support and same couldn’t be said for us with players getting just one player give a tap either for a good or wrong thing.

The backline is a huge worry for me it needs better ball users and a better sense of structure and support for eachother. When a first year player in Archie Roberts is the one doing those things more than them it’s a real issue especially when he hasn’t been playing.
Was McGrath vocal in the backline for us? Surely he’s getting around/organising the efforts back there. If not, that’s a massive indictment.

The backline is a huge worry for me it needs better ball users and a better sense of structure and support for eachother. When a first year player in Archie Roberts is the one doing those things more than them it’s a real issue especially when he hasn’t been playing.
two things that stuck out to me in the first half before I switched off was the lack of movement in front of the ball. I know we begrudge the dump kick but the guys in front of the ball need to move more. Work, work, work, work, work.

Feels like we are the worst at doing this in the league. Saw this several times tonight with a handball on but instead we went to old trusty. the bomb down the line which has worked so well for us all year.

Ball use across the ground needs improving, work rate and leadership needs to improve across the list as well

It's not the midfield making forwards kick behinds and making the backs either drop marks, lose an easy one-on-one, lose a 3-on-1 or make unforced errors by hand/foot.

Our midfield used to be terrible and we still had a solid back 6 under Woosha and Hird. Our back 6 is genuinely terrible now. Same for our forwardline.
Sure. But I would have thought our biggest issue from the last two weeks is that we cannot convert inside 50s. Yes we miss some easy shots but generally the shots we miss are difficult if we even get a shot at all. And that's because the service inside 50 is terrible - kicks are either rushed from a contest or held from a mark outside 50, rarely accurate, kicked to an outnumbered pack and never to a leading lane, and generally ignore better options. The forward line should wear some of that but generally they're midfield issues.

The backline sucks at the moment because we're relying on journeyman players, but similar to the forward line, it's incredibly difficult to defend against silver service because your midfield has allowed the opposition to go coast to coast without pressure.

Fully agree that we need some good crumbing small forwards and some better decision makers down back, but we also need another couple of good ball users in the middle and to get rid of the guys who can't defend.

CAN:
Run forward and attackingly and bomb it inside 50
Be sheit 1v1
Do a lot of dump kicks down the line to outnumbered contests
Fade out beautifully at the end of games
Defensively turn it over with spuds who cannot kick

CAN'T
Chase and be accountable defensively
Tackle
Hit a target inside 50
Choose the right option
Have any vision to look and see easy options
Win a final
Have a bunch of leaders who know how to win

Our team balance is terrible.

Langford, Stringer and Gresham plus two talls is terrible at pressure but also crumbing a contest.

Stringer needs to go and play a small.

Parish, shiel and merret undersized mids. Parish and shiel poor or no defensive effort.

Shiel goes and Parish should be gone or play more vfl.

Kelly, McKay, laverde, and mcgrath are really poor users and decision makers in defense.

Kelly and laverde should not be best 22 or play most weeks.

I think a lot is easily fixable but our selection and list decisions are really poor.

Love to hear the advantages this current team balance provides us or a for argument for this team balance.

Was McGrath vocal in the backline for us? Surely he’s getting around/organising the efforts back there. If not, that’s a massive indictment.
Not overly vocal but he is usually the first to come and support a teammate. Same can’t be said for the likes of Redman and Kelly.

Our team balance is terrible.

Langford, Stringer and Gresham plus two talls is terrible at pressure but also crumbing a contest.

Stringer needs to go and play a small.

Parish, shiel and merret undersized mids. Parish and shiel poor or no defensive effort.

Shiel goes and Parish should be gone or play more vfl.

Kelly, McKay, laverde, and mcgrath are really poor users and decision makers in defense.

Kelly and laverde should not be best 22 or play most weeks.

I think a lot is easily fixable but our selection and list decisions are really poor.

Love to hear the advantages this current team balance provides us or a for argument for this team balance.
to be fair, Stringer is actually a reasonable pressure player.

Sure. But I would have thought our biggest issue from the last two weeks is that we cannot convert inside 50s. Yes we miss some easy shots but generally the shots we miss are difficult if we even get a shot at all. And that's because the service inside 50 is terrible - kicks are either rushed from a contest or held from a mark outside 50, rarely accurate, kicked to an outnumbered pack and never to a leading lane, and generally ignore better options. The forward line should wear some of that but generally they're midfield issues.

The backline sucks at the moment because we're relying on journeyman players, but similar to the forward line, it's incredibly difficult to defend against silver service because your midfield has allowed the opposition to go coast to coast without pressure.

Fully agree that we need some good crumbing small forwards and some better decision makers down back, but we also need another couple of good ball users in the middle and to get rid of the guys who can't defend.
There's no doubt that we need better users in the midfield. No doubt at all, but it isn't just the mids delivering inside 50. Many of our defenders also do exactly the same thing.

We're just not a good team, which means that we have significant deficiencies on every line. Contrary to previous years, our midfield is our strongest area. The other two areas are some of the worst in 20 years.

I dont want to hear it but I want to see it.. someone lays out one of our younger fellas, next chance we get to put a heavy tackle on or an accidental elbow in the next marking contest.

Were too nice. No one with any mongrel outside maybe a very select few. A team full of nice guys who pretend to be hardened footballers

I dont want to hear it but I want to see it.. someone lays out one of our younger fellas, next chance we get to put a heavy tackle on or an accidental elbow in the next marking contest.

Were too nice. No one with any mongrel outside maybe a very select few. A team full of nice guys who pretend to be hardened footballers
doesn't help that our coach refuses to appeal when we go to the tribunal.

doesn't help that our coach refuses to appeal when we go to the tribunal.
this is something else that grinds my gears about all our coaches.. as well as out (nice) players. our coaches are too nice. Who was the last EFC coach to be fined? to come out and properly throw a hand grenade without a pin at AFL house?

Come out and put the players on notice. come out and put the umpires on notice. come out and say that this is poor.

do it once so we know he is serious. Scott is a good salesman it seems

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I also wish our coach would act like a nuffy supporter. That's really what needs to happen for us to ever have a chance at anything.
see my post two up from yours

this is something else that grinds my gears about all our coaches.. as well as out (nice) players. our coaches are too nice. Who was the last EFC coach to be fined? to come out and properly throw a hand grenade without a pin at AFL house?

Come out and put the players on notice. come out and put the umpires on notice. come out and say that this is poor.

do it once so we know he is serious. Scott is a good salesman it seems
who was the last EFC coach to come out and say something drastic? Bomber?

unfortunately the club I think, doesn't have the balls to trade away one of Hobbs or Tsatas.
There really is no need to do this. Trading Hobbs or Tsatas is not about having balls, it would just be a chance to get reamed at the trade table.

We will have 15 turnover off the list the next two years

Nail the drafts, FA well, some others will actually want to trade out.

Improve 4 positions and get more out of the current group of youngsters, stay that course and success will come

I also wish our coach would act like a nuffy supporter. That's really what needs to happen for us to ever have a chance at anything.
I want him to drink in the coaches box, punch an assistant and then piss on a journo at the presser

That’s the only way I’ll believe we have turned the corner

see my post two up from yours

who was the last EFC coach to come out and say something drastic? Bomber?
it was probably when john worsfold told essendon people to stop being stupid idiots and to back ben rutten:

anyway we sacked rutten after 2 seasons because we hadn't won a flag yet and the board staged a coup where kevin sheedy was a key vote and now we're in the same spot

Yep, it's been our biggest issue. The dons in that swans game dominated inside 50s in that first half for only a 7 point lead. That set dons back for the rest of the game.
Our mids need to lower the eyes and kick to fwds running into space that are 40m out, instead of pack marks to fwds that are 10m out.

What we need to do in the off-season is build a side like Hawthorn did. A team full of good skills, speed and hard runners. It needs to be done this off season. Cut the list deep, get as much draft picks as we can get our hands on and tailor our game plan to suit that style. That’s modern football. Ideally we’d want as many top picks in the next two years before Tassie comes.

Even if we go backwards short term, it’ll be progressing long term. We shouldn’t be focused on being mid-table next year.

We need to learn from Carlton’s and our own mistakes and avoid building an outdated list.

What we need to do in the off-season is build a side like Hawthorn did. A team full of good skills, speed and hard runners. It needs to be done this off season. Cut the list deep, get as much draft picks as we can get our hands on and tailor our game plan to suit that style. That’s modern football. Ideally we’d want as many top picks in the next two years before Tassie comes.

Even if we go backwards short term, it’ll be progressing long term. We shouldn’t be focused on being mid-table next year.

We need to learn from Carlton’s and our own mistakes and avoid building an outdated list.
There aren’t many players we should shy away from trading.

Stringer, Shiel, Wright and Parish on the trade table at a minimum. I’d also look at possibly trading someone like Langford while he has trade value. I wish McGrath was still OOC.

I think it needs to be a ruthless Essendon. I never wanted Gresham or McKay but I guess we’re stuck with them for a little while.

I think if anything we’ll end up going the other way - I thing we’ll bring in a few more older guys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Team Mgmt. Makeup of our team II - Strengths & deficiencies, player development

Remove this Banner Ad

Back