Play Nice Post sanction: Taylor Walker publically apologises for his racial slur

Remove this Banner Ad

Look, it is a good apology, and it seems to have been taken as genuine given that Young was willing to appear in the apology video.

But I really hope that people take notice of what a lot of other Aboriginal people are saying about this - that it's not an isolated one-off issue, it's something they see, hear, and feel on a regular basis.

The Crows will need to come down hard on Tex. They have to demonstrate to their indigenous players, staff and supporters that they care.

Will be very difficult for Tex to regain the respect of his indigenous team mates, that's for sure. But perhaps it is an opportunity for him to learn.
Totally agree

The Crows will need to come down hard on Tex. They have to demonstrate to their indigenous players, staff and supporters that they care.

Will be very difficult for Tex to regain the respect of his indigenous team mates, that's for sure. But perhaps it is an opportunity for him to learn.
He's still struggling to learn 2+2. Blokes dumb as a rock.

He's still struggling to learn 2+2. Blokes dumb as a rock.
A lot of people are calling for him to be sacked, but I think that's an emotional decision.

Football clubs are a great environment to teach people life lessons. Punish him yes, but then once you've done that bring him back and get the indigenous leaders at the club to educate him and help him understand why he can't say what he said and why it's so hurtful to them.

Hearing from numerous sources Matt Crouch and a trainer were the ones who told club about Tex.

Hearing from numerous sources Matt Crouch and a trainer were the ones who told club about Tex.
If that's true then good on Crouch.

Him and Tex are mates, so that's a very honourable position for him to take and shows really strong character.

A lot of people are calling for him to be sacked, but I think that's an emotional decision.

Football clubs are a great environment to teach people life lessons. Punish him yes, but then once you've done that bring him back and get the indigenous leaders at the club to educate him and help him understand why he can't say what he said and why it's so hurtful to them.
It staggers me that this bloke is considered a club legend, when he has done so many dumb things that have completely eroded the culture of the place. They would be better off sacking him now. At least they might be able to rebuild the culture then.

The zero tolerance policy on racism is a good policy but should we have zero tolerance on sexual assault and drink driving as well?

I mean what he allegedly said is reprehensible and deserves punishment but where do we draw the line?

I personally think the calls for his head are way too harsh, he ****ed up and will pay for it but we shouldn't kick him to the curb and ruin his life, it's never too late to educate.

interesting to see the racism arguments and views around it.

generally the white v black argument re: racism takes away all context and nuance - what about bosnian/serbs, jewish people etc.

australia has an incredibly heavy anti-black racist background - voting rights, genocide, cultural destruction, demonisation etc. that's the context. read about john batman's history, the bloke who 'founded' melbourne, and about what he did in Tasmania.

that's not an opinion, that's history. amplifies things for better or worse. if hypothetically an indigenous player said 'smash that white boy', I'd anticipate you would not see as many issues, because there's significantly less racial context going the other way, that's your 'reverse racism'. less outstanding trauma.

for instance, the word 'cracker' to describe a white person is less offensive than the n-word because there's nowhere near the amount of contextual, impactful racism behind it. call someone the n-word or insult their black skin and you're harking back centuries of anti-black racism and all the genocide/slavery/prejudice associated.

it's the same for gender and sex. you'll see 'positive discrimination' against typically white straight english-speaking males in job searches. people want to espouse and support diversity because of contextual sexism and racism, making things right etc.

tldr: racism isn't black and white (no pun intended), there's history and context which create a massive grey area.

every chance that tex is stepped down for this.

If the alleged is true, he must be stood down.

A Collingwood fan was given a 12 month ban on membership after a slur in the 2019 grand final.

That's an uneducated, likely unintelligent bogan. Whilst Tex clearly fits the category of unintelligent and bogan, nobody can say he's uneducated, more so that he chose to ignore his education.

Must be given at the least a 12 month ban. He isn't playing in 2023 so retirement (if you can call it that) is the only option, surely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We dont need to have racial taunts expressed here regardless of what Walker said, let the process and appropriate tribunal deal with the issue. Stick on topic, posters baiting others will see there way out of the thread

Hmm. Caro seemed very concerend for Tex Walker. And I would assume she's got some serious mail and is holding back due to the process. I heard Rowie on 5AA say he'd spoken to Caro and that she wouldn't have released the story. She completely denied this even happenining. wha? Never spoke to him on it? huh?

I simply cannot fathom Tex Walker saying anything racist. He is innocent until further notice. Hypothesize all you like.

IF this is smoke with fire to follow he's in deep deep doodoo.

If what is being reported is true the AFL need to come down hard. He should be degregistered and banned from playing and attending football fullstop. If a fan yelled similar over the fence they would have there membership cancelled, be banned and possibly be charged by police. This can’t be swept under the carpet. Time to make a stand.
Do you know what was said ?

It's out of our hands and with the AFL. Guilty/not guilty, harsh penalty, soft penalty, middling penalty, you'll need to direct any concerns towards the AFL not the AFC.

Hmm. Caro seemed very concerend for Tex Walker. And I would assume she's got some serious mail and is holding back due to the process. I heard Rowie on 5AA say he'd spoken to Caro and that she wouldn't have released the story. She completely denied this even happenining. wha? Never spoke to him on it? huh?

I simply cannot fathom Tex Walker saying anything racist. He is innocent until further notice. Hypothesize all you like.

IF this is smoke with fire to follow he's in deep deep doodoo.

Rowie hasn't exactly covered himself in glory. Is worse than the pathological apologists on our club board. One thing that we know as fact is that a fellow player has thought they heard something worth reporting and the club has passed it up to the AFL. But yes, he is innocent until proven guilty and I'm sure now that it's public, the result will be known sooner rather than later.

Do you know what was said ?

I got a PM from someone on the Adelaide board and their source is a mate who has spoken to a player that heard the comment. What was passed on to me is that he said to Matt Crouch, "knock that black **** out". Matches what a poster in here posted earlier and it appears as though what has become accepted truth that it was Crouch he was talking to. So whilst not guilty yet, form line isn't looking promising.

The silence is deafening from the camries, I'm sure they would love to sweep this under the rug somehow.

Come on. It was already with the AFL Integrity Unit. North Adelaide have come out and said they knew nothing about it until the AFL investigator contacted them Tuesday afternoon. We don't know how long the AFL have had it or whether we ran our own internal process, but there's no doubt that we sent it upstairs prior to it becoming public.

I got a PM from someone on the Adelaide board and their source is a mate who has spoken to a player that heard the comment. What was passed on to me is that he said to Matt Crouch, "knock that black **** out". Matches what a poster in here posted earlier and it appears as though what has become accepted truth that it was Crouch he was talking to. So whilst not guilty yet, form line isn't looking promising.
Ok cool. If true, yep not good tex.

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Nice Post sanction: Taylor Walker publically apologises for his racial slur

Remove this Banner Ad

Back