The King's Speech
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Groundhog Day
Titanic
The Martian (it was that good)
Mission Impossible
Red Planet
Gladiator
Howzat! (the TV movie about World Series Cricket)
American Beauty
Apollo 13
The Core
Limitless
Valkyrie

There are probably quite a few I've forgotten

Really enjoyed that but have you seen Backyard Ashes?

BYA-700mmx1000mm-5mm-BLEED-FA1.jpg

It's no Academy Award winning movie but its a bloody good yarn. If you like cricket and can tolerate low budget Australian movies, you will love it.

I didn't mind it either. Very formulaic and daggy (and even cringey at times), but I've seen plenty worse.

First 2 were hilarious .....Martin in the remake should be shot :mad:
Yeah, I think it was the second one that really tickled my fancy. Sellers was also good in The Party but I thought that Norman Wisdom was a funny guy as well. In fact there were many British comedians that made we laugh. Some others were Benny Hill, Dudley Moore & Peter Cook, Tony Hancock...

In Bruges
The Proposition
The Shawshank Redemption
Slow West
Birdman
The Equalizer
The Unforgiven
The Sting
The Blues Brothers
Grand Budapest Hotel
John Wick
Wolf of Wall Street
Jumper
Lucky Number Slevin

considering we're all gathered here only through the mutual interest of footy, I'm pretty impressed by the standard of names being thrown around in here.

not trying to sound like a movie snob, but when you look at the ratio of good movies to the cookie-cutter garbage that hits the cinemas these days you have to wonder where its all going wrong - if this thread is anything to go by it seems the average movie-goer wants something better... I've always thought the studios want to play it safe and gun for the lowest common denominator, but perhaps they should get a little bit of slack because its just not that easy to make a great movie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Too many to list them all, but a brief off-the-top-of-my-head list:

Heat
Aliens
The Godfather
Goodfellas
Almost Famous
Most Coen Brothers movies, but especially The Big Lebowski and Miller's Crossing
Most Tarantino movies, especially Kill Bill and Pulp Fiction
Pan's Labyrinth
Up
Grave of the Fireflies
Dawn of the Dead (the original George Romero version, not the Zack Snyder remake)

The Breakfast Club
Ferris Buellers Day Off
Home Alone
National Lampoon Vacation

Basically any John Hughes flims

considering we're all gathered here only through the mutual interest of footy, I'm pretty impressed by the standard of names being thrown around in here.

not trying to sound like a movie snob, but when you look at the ratio of good movies to the cookie-cutter garbage that hits the cinemas these days you have to wonder where its all going wrong - if this thread is anything to go by it seems the average movie-goer wants something better... I've always thought the studios want to play it safe and gun for the lowest common denominator, but perhaps they should get a little bit of slack because its just not that easy to make a great movie.
So true, but no slack from me. The movie industry is suffering from the same condition as the game industry, that being sequilitis.

They would much rather back a sequel because it's a known quantity rather than fund a new idea. It sucks and it's all about the $$$. And people suck it up.

Thank god for indie movies sometimes.

Yeah, I think it was the second one that really tickled my fancy. Sellers was also good in The Party but I thought that Norman Wisdom was a funny guy as well. In fact there were many British comedians that made we laugh. Some others were Benny Hill, Dudley Moore & Peter Cook, Tony Hancock...
:thumbsu:......also love Walter Matthau movies

Top 5. Mob or crime is usually my favourite.

Goodfellas
Godfather
Godfather pt 2
The Departed
The Usual Suspects.
What about :
Serpico
Donny Brasco

Love Al Pacino :hearts:

Fav male actor was Gregory Peck (great in To kill a Mocking Bird & the Boys from Brazil)
Fav female actor of all time was Elizabeth Taylor.

Zulu
How Green Was My Valley
Last of the Mohicans (Daniel Day Lewis version)
Porkies 1
Blues Brothers
Gone With The Wind
The Dambusters
Cockleshell Hero's

I never got to see The Shawshank Redemption until last year. It didn't disappoint me.

I like a nice drama, as long as the story is sufficiently compelling (not just regular folks with a run-of-the-mill sob story). I love action on screen, as long as it's not too far-fetched - so I'll prefer Mission Impossible to Star Wars or Star Trek. A comedy has to be very, very funny or be an interesting story in its own right - so love stories with a few unfunny gags are out.

Good actors are vital (Leo Di Caprio is my favourite). Good music is a cherry on top that can add a lot of emotion. A good story (not too 'everyday' and not too 'out-there') - which makes you want to keep watching - is the most important element of all. I feel like we're having a bit of a Crows supporters' Margaret and David session. :p

Remove this Banner Ad

News Poster's Favorite Movies - Latest Movie Seen

Remove this Banner Ad

Back