Discussion Potential Coach Replacements

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi saintsrfreak

define "good"

is "good" flag winning, wrong been there done that with Ross and all the others since Jeansy died in hospital

is "good" club building?

is "good" spirit making?

is "good" a familiarity with the place

is "good" have Centrebet on the jumper

is "good" having Roo kick 1 goal four behinds per game

It's all relative really.

Pay heaps of cash for an old washed up has-been or choose someone that everyone respects.

Experience? At what?

Vote Banger 1 - Former Captain, Local, Businessman, Brownlows etc...

He's young and that's why we should want him.

Why should youth be any deterrent to hiring someone?

Just look at Geelong, how old is he and who did he play for?

We are in a blessed situation. Banger can be coach and also knows the community around our training facility. With some enterprise and goodwill maybe Jihad Stadium will be too small for us in the future.
You see, just because Banger is respected and young won't make him a good coach. It won't help us win games, it won't help us develop youth. Respect doesn't do shit. A successful coach that isn't respected will earn respect for being successful . A respected coach will lose respect by being unsuccessful.

If Grant Thomas coached next year everyone would hate him at first but if he took us to the top four and developed kids no one would give a shit what he'd done in the past and it'd the same thing if Harves was unsuccessful. No one would care anymore that he was a club champion if he took us to a spoon. So you see, it would make much more sense to bring in an established coach or an assistant coach that looks ready to take the next step, which sadly I don't think Harves is.

stuart dew (development coach)[/b] - dewy is highly unlikely as he is with sydney & his missus does the weather & news updates for channel 7 up here (personally i think he's onto a good thing & i aint talking about his coaching appointment with sydney swans)

119476-sarah-cumming.jpg

.....................................throw a blank chequebook at this man

Also, Scott Watters' name has been thrown around - Pies current defensive coach. Harves won't get the job

There seems to be some inference that Robert Harvey is not up to coaching.
Others seem to think he is ready to take over right now.

I don't need to list Rob's career achievements, but I would like to mention that in his 383 matches over 21 seasons for St Kilda he played under numerous coaches, he was involved with numerous state of origin matches and even played for Australia. He was poached by Carlton after he retired as a player and appointed as a development and fitness coach. He was quickly promoted through the ranks to midfield coach. After 2 years, Carlton performed a cleanout, at the same time a position became available at St Kilda for an assistant coach and he was snapped up by the club he loves and who loves him. There was talk that he was going to be "let go" by Carlton but it is difficult to know exactly what would have happened. Harvey was credited with a significant contribution to Carlton's coaching which resulted in Carlton's first win over St Kilda in a decade. Since he left Carlton, that club has only managed a 3 pt win and a loss against us.

Rob's experience is impeccable, yet he is only in his second stint as an assistant coach - so he is very green by the standards set by most aspiring head coaches. His resume is not yet complete. He has so much to offer us, but give him time to tick all the boxes first.

Rob Harvey may not ever want to be a head coach, he may just be happy playing a role as assistant coach. But whether or not he wants the head job, whether he is good enough or not - I doubt that the time is right. I think he is about 5 years away from being ready. That is my opinion.

You see, just because Banger is respected and young won't make him a good coach. It won't help us win games, it won't help us develop youth. Respect doesn't do shit. A successful coach that isn't respected will earn respect for being successful . A respected coach will lose respect by being unsuccessful.

If Grant Thomas coached next year everyone would hate him at first but if he took us to the top four and developed kids no one would give a shit what he'd done in the past and it'd the same thing if Harves was unsuccessful. No one would care anymore that he was a club champion if he took us to a spoon. So you see, it would make much more sense to bring in an established coach or an assistant coach that looks ready to take the next step, which sadly I don't think Harves is.

We will be lucky to win 6 games anyway.
Fresh blood and make it local.
Instead of wasting cash on has-beens!!!! :mad:

VOTE 1 Banger.

There seems to be some inference that Robert Harvey is not up to coaching.
Others seem to think he is ready to take over right now.

I don't need to list Rob's career achievements, but I would like to mention that in his 383 matches over 21 seasons for St Kilda he played under numerous coaches, he was involved with numerous state of origin matches and even played for Australia. He was poached by Carlton after he retired as a player and appointed as a development and fitness coach. He was quickly promoted through the ranks to midfield coach. After 2 years, Carlton performed a cleanout, at the same time a position became available at St Kilda for an assistant coach and he was snapped up by the club he loves and who loves him. There was talk that he was going to be "let go" by Carlton but it is difficult to know exactly what would have happened. Harvey was credited with a significant contribution to Carlton's coaching which resulted in Carlton's first win over St Kilda in a decade. Since he left Carlton, that club has only managed a 3 pt win and a loss against us.

Rob's experience is impeccable, yet he is only in his second stint as an assistant coach - so he is very green by the standards set by most aspiring head coaches. His resume is not yet complete. He has so much to offer us, but give him time to tick all the boxes first.

Rob Harvey may not ever want to be a head coach, he may just be happy playing a role as assistant coach. But whether or not he wants the head job, whether he is good enough or not - I doubt that the time is right. I think he is about 5 years away from being ready. That is my opinion.
LOL, sorry couldn't help myself :D:D

And just because someone is old will not result in us winning our 2nd flag in 46 years. And winning 2 in more than 100. FFS I'm sick to death of waiting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok for some reason then you think because he is young and was a champion means he will be a great coach. Let me give you two reasons why this is wrong.
james-hird-announced-as-essendon-coach-325405.jpg

547514-michael-voss.gif

You do realize that James Hird and Michael Voss are two completely different kettle of fish. Also, I'd like to know where they "cut their teeth" so to speak before they were appointed coaches?

Banger went to John Paul College. He grew up playing for Seaford. He has opened and successfully maintained the AFL shop in Quayside for more than a decade now. He has played less AFL games than two people that have ever lived, rumour has it one of which was the dirtiest player he had ever played on.

Why outsource or pay more when there is 383 games of brains and talent within our club? And Banger is a former Saint Kilda champion, not a blow-in a big factor to think about.

Do you think the Scott brothers are better coaches because they played for Brisbane and their old man supposedly bled in Nam and now they do radio commercials for the TAC?

Wake up!

VOTE 1 Banger!

"You're a professional, keep it simple"

This is Serious Balaclava :)

[youtube]JwI2NrVYqIE[/youtube]

You do realize that James Hird and Michael Voss are two completely different kettle of fish. Also, I'd like to know where they "cut their teeth" so to speak before they were appointed coaches?

Banger went to John Paul College. He grew up playing for Seaford. He has opened and successfully maintained the AFL shop in Quayside for more than a decade now. He has played less AFL games than two people that have ever lived, rumour has it one of which was the dirtiest player he had ever played on.

Why outsource or pay more when there is 383 games of brains and talent is right here? And Banger is a former Saint Kilda champion.

Do you think the Scott brothers are better because they played for Brisbane and their old man supposedly bled in Nam and now they do radio commercials for the TAC?

Wake up!

VOTE 1 Banger!
facepalm2ic7copyrl2-jpg.jpeg

What are you guys doing awake at this time of night? I have an excuse. CTD its simply called broad vision, look around, see whats there ,interview, probe and poke. The next coach is critical for us as a club, there are so many issues that need to be addressed. Banger may know Seaford great, but he has never been able to perform in the media. Tudor knows the players, his only been gone one season, so he knows the "ground". Interview him. Ditto for all the potential candidates. Thats what happened with Liar Lyon, he, whether we like it or not was a great coach. Now we want to find another.
I believe there are plenty of candidates out there, who would have picked Scott for the Cats? No Cat supporter is crying over Thompson now. Time to be rational no matter the emotions. We will have a new coach within two weeks thats my prediction, its probably the best time to be looking for a coach , not so for players unfortunately.

well just save that jpg gif file saintsrfreak when the admin fork out the cash for some over-rated has-been next year?

Maybe I will find some Lions shit of my own to post without telling you "I told you so" next year.
I don't see how Watters and Tudor are overrated has beens. Anyway you win whatever, If you want a two year Assistant coach with no finals success as our Head Coach good for you :thumbsu:

What are you guys doing awake at this time of night? I have an excuse. CTD its simply called broad vision, look around, see whats there ,interview, probe and poke. The next coach is critical for us as a club, there are so many issues that need to be addressed. Banger may know Seaford great, but he has never been able to perform in the media. Tudor knows the players, his only been gone one season, so he knows the "ground". Interview him. Ditto for all the potential candidates. Thats what happened with Liar Lyon, he, whether we like it or not was a great coach. Now we want to find another.
I believe there are plenty of candidates out there, who would have picked Scott for the Cats? No Cat supporter is crying over Thompson now. Time to be rational no matter the emotions. We will have a new coach within two weeks thats my prediction, its probably the best time to be looking for a coach , not so for players unfortunately.
And on that note I'm going to bed.

Hi karmafree I like the points you have made. They are rational and well spoken. Just like you I want a great St.Kilda coach for 2012. The only problem is there are many that think Banger is not up to the job. "Banger may know Seaford great, but he has never been able to perform in the media." I think media performance ranks about 27th on the priority list. I also think that he will be the next coach and I think banger will be the new BP. The "Quiet Achiever". If Mark Thompson could do it at Geelong, then why couldn't Banger do it with us.

Definitely think we should approach Mark Harvey for an assistants role. Look at what he's done with Fremantle's kids. Coming out of a period where that's been lacking, weather that was a recruitment problem or development problem, who knows but that would be a valuable commodity to St Kilda. No way he is finished at AFL level, still would have a lot to offer. Plus would make this saga even more juicy.

Craig and Neeld are off to Melbourne.
Burns is as good as gone to Adelaide.
Bulldogs are still up in the air, however the general consensus is Cameron or McCartney.
Watters will apparently be targeted heavily by Lyon and Fremantle for a defensive role.

Interesting that there's been no mention of Tudor chasing any senior jobs. Possibly not interested at all?

I'd don't really have a preference for experienced or not. Would prefer someone who has come out of a successful system and knows what it takes to win a premiership. Hard to know which untried assistants would be a good get, cause really we have NFI how they operate. However if we do go with another newbie, i'd like to have a former head coach to be 'around'. Weather that's a director of coaching type role, or as an assistant. Eade possibly.

Would like to see Sanderson given an interview, coming out of a great culture at Geelong. Highly rated by most.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back