Discussion Potential Coach Replacements

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most new coaches sound impressive when they first take over and tell everyone what they plan to do, the real test is when they are in the coaches box and trying to win games. Easy to talk up a good game but it's another thing delivering results.

I know. But it was the "youth development " "get to know the players" stuff that really got to me. I dont think I every heard Ross use those phrases.

Okay, here's my twenty cents worth from a fan who's sadly seen it all too many times before.
When Ross Lyon first walked into the club, he said that in his time in football the Saints had never given enough consideration to defence. Boy, did he fix that ! However, times soon change and clearly other teams have gone to school on our game plan. Not only can they break our style down, but we have difficulty against theirs. So, it's time for a change. We'll never know if Lyon had it in him to achieve that at St.Kilda. Personally, I agree with an earlier poster that we need to continue to embrace our defensive mechanisms but learn how to score more frequently.
There are three main considerations when appointing our new coach -
1. Time is quickly passing by for some of the big name coaches in the AFL. Icons like Sheedy, Pagan, Matthews etc became increasingly dependent on their assistant coaches to keep them abreast of the modern game. They in effect became more like managers than coaches. I think Malthouse is fast approaching that category too, despite his recent success with the Pies. Any thought of getting him to the Saints would probably have to include some highly paid assistants. The total package may well be out of our scope. I also thing Rodney Eade is fast approaching membership of this group too.
2. Appointment of a younger, modern thinking assistant coach would come cheaper but with potential downsides. Would members and sponsors embrace them and if we do slide over the next few years, times for an inexperienced rookie could get very tough.
3. The list obviously needs a rebuild but its not all doom and gloom as some would have you believe. A fit Riewold, Hayes and Gwilt combined with Goddard, Dal Santo, Montagna, Milne, Schneider, Fisher, McEvoy and Kosi is a good starting point. Its the next dozen that need a re-work. Youngsters like Siposs, Cripps, Ledger etc can only get better. I don't see why we won't be a contender again next year, but by the following couple of years the Saints need to have restructured their list. The Swans have continually shown that you can rebuild your list without bottoming out.
Of the potential candidates I'd hope the Saints strongly look at Scott Watters. Three consecutive grand finals as coach of Subiaco in the WAFL for two premierships between 2007-9 show he can coach in his own right. The last two years as a highly credentailled assistant at Collingwood can't have hurt either. Who knows, possibly for involvement in 2 more flags ?
On the flip side the Saints will have to consider appointing an experienced coach. After the Year from Hell, the players, the members and fans and importantly the sponsors are all in need of a big confidence boost. Initially, that can only come from appointing a 'name.'
Let's hope the Saints get it right. Remember when Ross Lyon was first appointed most thought WTF, but four consecutive finals appearances and two GF's wasn't a bad return, even if it did end in tears.

If Rodney Eade wants to keep in touch with coaching, and since no-one else has picked him up, I wouldnt mind seeing if he is open to an assistant gig at StKilda.
I could say the same about Craig, or Harvey.
Their only other options may be retirement. It reamains to be seen ( Dean Laidley ) whether a coach can make a comeback by doing this.

I hope Rob Harvey is not discounted for the coaching job purely because there's a perception out there that he's non-assertive. Lenny Hayes said a while back (in Banger's playing days) that Harvey was one of the few that everyone shut-up for and listened to when he spoke. I'd have no doubt that the players would play for him. Plus, given his love for the club, I couldn't see the great man putting his name forward if he didn't believe that he could excel at the job.

Grant Thomas' reaction on Footy Classifieds to Banger throwing his hat in the ring was nothing short of disgraceful imo. How he can call himself a St.Kilda person is bewildering.

Robert Harvey will not be coaching the StKilda Football Club next year...

Don't get Laidley. For everyone's sake.

I hope Rob Harvey is not discounted for the coaching job purely because there's a perception out there that he's non-assertive. Lenny Hayes said a while back (in Banger's playing days) that Harvey was one of the few that everyone shut-up for and listened to when he spoke. I'd have no doubt that the players would play for him. Plus, given his love for the club, I couldn't see the great man putting his name forward if he didn't believe that he could excel at the job.

Grant Thomas' reaction on Footy Classifieds to Banger throwing his hat in the ring was nothing short of disgraceful imo. How he can call himself a St.Kilda person is bewildering.

If there was a facebook like button i would click it :thumbsu:

We need to just ignore Grant on basically ever issue related to footy and agree with Caros Arrow this week

We need as a coach someone who has won a premiership preferably as a player and has had a minimum of 5 years experience as an assistant coach preferably winning a flag within those 5 years.
Who fits that category should be our target for interviews.

Robert Harvey will not be coaching the StKilda Football Club next year...

Agree completely.
A once in a lifetime player.
But I have to say no as coach

My updated list now is, Watters, Richardson, Rob Harvey and maybe Cameron...

Apparently Burns is out of the coaching mix, both Tudor and Goodwin reportedly have no interest in senior coaching at present.....
I'd suggest that you add Ken Hinkley and Mark Williams when compiling a list. I'd further suggest that you get in quick if you want a bet as I got both at 18/1 with Sportsbet. Ken Hinkley has firmed in to 9/2 ,2nd favourite behind Scott Watters. The five assistant coaches being mentioned in glowing terms in the last 2 years have been Scott, McCartney, Sanderson, Neeld and Hinkley. Clubs have found the newer breed coaches are outstanding. Surely Hinkley is the next in line! He may be out of sight at Gold Coast but he is not out of mind. From all reports he is a good "coach-in waiting".

We need as a coach someone who has won a premiership preferably as a player and has had a minimum of 5 years experience as an assistant coach preferably winning a flag within those 5 years.
Who fits that category should be our target for interviews.
Ken Hinkley (born 30 September 1966) is a former Australian rules footballer with the Geelong Football Club and Fitzroy Football Club, a former assistant coach of the St Kilda Football Club and the Geelong Football Club, and now an assistant coach at the Gold Coast Suns.
Hinkley, recruited from Camperdown, started his league career as a forward at Fitzroy but played his best football with Geelong, with whom he was used as a rebounding defender. A half back flanker in the 1991 and 1992 All-Australian Teams, Hinkley also won a Carji Greeves Medal as Geelong's best and fairest player in the 1992 AFL season. In the same year he finished third at the Brownlow Medal count, behind winner Scott Wynd and Hawthorn's Jason Dunstall. He appeared in 12 finals with Geelong, including the 1992, 1994 and 1995 Grand Final losses.
Retiring after the 1995 AFL Grand Final, Hinkley joined Hampden Football League club Mortlake as coach, where he remained for three seasons. He then returned to Camperdown and steered his former club to back to back premierships in 1999 and 2000, the former as captain-coach. St Kilda acquired his services as an assistant coach in 2001 but the following year took up the role of senior coach of Bell Park in the Geelong Football League and oversaw a premiership in 2003. He resumed his AFL coaching career in 2004, as an assistant to Mark Thompson at Geelong. Ken is a now an assistant at the new Gold Coast Suns Franchise.
Pretty impressive resume, including a few Premierships as a coach, champion player and great assistant to winning teams.

I'd suggest that you add Ken Hinkley and Mark Williams when compiling a list. I'd further suggest that you get in quick if you want a bet as I got both at 18/1 with Sportsbet. Ken Hinkley has firmed in to 9/2 ,2nd favourite behind Scott Watters.

The five assistant coaches being mentioned in glowing terms in the last 2 years have been Scott, McCartney, Sanderson, Neeld and Hinkley. Clubs have found the newer breed coaches are outstanding. Surely Hinkley is the next in line! He may be out of sight at Gold Coast but he is not out of mind. From all reports he is a good "coach-in waiting".

Yes I'm sure Hinkley, Choco Williams (and Sumich) would be well qualified. I didn't want to list all possibles - just who I thought might make the shortlist, and my preferences I guess.
Watters, Richardson and Harvey I had from day one, then I added Cameron as a maybe when he missed the WB job. Bit late for me to bet, as Watters probably too short now....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also when laying bets on these coaching jobs you can only win a MAX of $300 and no you cant just put 2 seperate bets on with same account, i just tried to :(

i don't mind choco. i can't understand the obsession with appointing new-untried coach. just get the best avail. choco took port to two gf's including one premiership and a couple of minor premierships. he would be a good get imo.

Ken Hinkley (born 30 September 1966) is a former Australian rules footballer with the Geelong Football Club and Fitzroy Football Club, a former assistant coach of the St Kilda Football Club and the Geelong Football Club, and now an assistant coach at the Gold Coast Suns.
Hinkley, recruited from Camperdown, started his league career as a forward at Fitzroy but played his best football with Geelong, with whom he was used as a rebounding defender. A half back flanker in the 1991 and 1992 All-Australian Teams, Hinkley also won a Carji Greeves Medal as Geelong's best and fairest player in the 1992 AFL season. In the same year he finished third at the Brownlow Medal count, behind winner Scott Wynd and Hawthorn's Jason Dunstall. He appeared in 12 finals with Geelong, including the 1992, 1994 and 1995 Grand Final losses.
Retiring after the 1995 AFL Grand Final, Hinkley joined Hampden Football League club Mortlake as coach, where he remained for three seasons. He then returned to Camperdown and steered his former club to back to back premierships in 1999 and 2000, the former as captain-coach. St Kilda acquired his services as an assistant coach in 2001 but the following year took up the role of senior coach of Bell Park in the Geelong Football League and oversaw a premiership in 2003. He resumed his AFL coaching career in 2004, as an assistant to Mark Thompson at Geelong. Ken is a now an assistant at the new Gold Coast Suns Franchise.
Pretty impressive resume, including a few Premierships as a coach, champion player and great assistant to winning teams.

Sounds good to me. Plus he has the experience of working with the younger Suns players. Good pick AJ.
Lets face it it is 80% lottery on how they turn out.

I put a dollar on Hinkley ($41) Richardson ($34) and Watters ($5) just to get my money back :p

But I want the best coach, not whats gonna win me the most :p

I laid a single $7.50 bet so i can win $300 and also we will get the best possible coach available :D:D

Go for Malthouse, Malthouse does NOT want to be Director of Coaching bullshit position, nor does Bucks want him there I'd suspect, Malthouse is a hand's on guy.

GET HIM

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I wonder if Stephen Milne feels the same way, considering Malthouse called him a "rapist".

I heard that the Saints may have salary cap problems. If so, and you get Malthouse, and then trade Stephen Milne, and solve two problems at once!

I had a thought that St. Kilda may have already set themselves up with a coach, if all else fails, and that coach would be :- ROBERT HARVEY!

Think about it, why set Harvey up as an interim coach, when there is no training or games?

I suspect that St. Kilda have been caught on the back foot with Lyon's defection. Unless St. Kilda hit the ground running, their options may dry up. We don't know what the availability of Mark Williams, or Scott Watters , or Ken Hinkley or Malthouse, may be next year. So, I suspect they have set up an option "just in case".

Harvey has put his hand up for the job, and he is an option that will still get fans buying memberships, even if they miss out on a big fish, because he is your favourite son and longest-serving player. Maybe the plan is, if they miss out on others, to sign Harvey for two years, see how he does, and either re-sign him if he is successful, or see who is available if he fails.
This will allow the Saints to be better prepared next time.

The Saints could even grab Rodney Eade, and either have Eade as senior coach, and Harvey as assistant (and maybe heir apparent), or have Harvey coach, and have Eade as senior assistant (ala Hird/"Bomber" at Essendon).

You will have a coach in 2012. If it is no bigger name, then one of your best players and dual Brownlow winners could get the top job.

so good.....why so often overlooked?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back