Discussion Potential Coach Replacements

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
FWIW, Ball is just doing his job, just because he's in a current player scenario as opposed to a past player part time coaching gig doesn't mean that excuse / reason magically evaporates.

Either way, if he wishes to be a coach it would have to be an outright role as defensive coach as opposed to part time considering the vacancy left by Berbakov, this would be the pathway for Max, being a full time assistant as opposed to part time instead of the inclination to skip over everyone else and common sense be damned.

Also, I doubt he "gave" them gameplans, he may have said "yes" and "no" to a few questions but they have internal systems and he would have run squat by himself to get caught up in.

saintsrfreak: True, but imo there are just unforgiveables. An American defected to the Russians during the Cold War to work as a double agent isn't then given a second chance to come back and work for the Americans again, giving them Russian secrets. He is given life without parole, and 23 hours a day in solitary confinement at the ADMAX facility.

For me, this is a similar situation.

Really? You're saying Max going to work for Collingwood is akin to spies selling secrets during the cold war, where lives were being put at risk and stuff? Max should be given life without parole? Hmm ... okay

So really you're also saying that no person at the club could ever have left the club and be welcomed back ... so life without parole for Harves too? He might have spilled such mighty midfield secrets to Carlton such as "that Goddard and Dal Santo bloke need to be stopped". The bastard

I think we should more be displeased with the way Ross handled Max than what Max did after he got on the payroll of another corporation.
Totally and utterly.

Personally I think there should be more Maxwell Smart jokes when people shorthand Hudghton to the "Max" prefix.

Oh Max....
27054.gif

Yeah, that was explored a few pages ago. I think the general consensus is htat, since it was on SEN, it's probably never going to happen.

That and that he probably couldn't fit on the oval at Seaford.

I really, really don't want to get into an argument about this but I'm happy to adress each of your posts.

You really need to get over yourself :rolleyes:

Hun Article re Sumich + coach = swiss cheese sanga to be devoured in record time.

Since it's not worth much to actually bother reading it

article said:
“I am thinking about that one – I will weigh it up,” Sumich said.

So a confident maybe from the man and people can run with that, not just an SEN rumour file "gem" that one.

I'd give him 3-4 years + as much cash as we can afford.

Sumich?

I wouldn't even bother interviewing him let alone hire him at any cost, he might be a decent assistant coach but can't see him being a good senior coach.

Think people need to stop looking into what the papers have to say.
They haven't even come close to getting one right yet, because the fact of the matter is thay have no idea what is going on in the interview process and the commitee's don't make a decision while still going through the process.

The saints just need to find the right man for the job that best fits the criteria they are looking for. Certain coaches suit certain lists.

Some coaches will be superior in developing a list, some will be superior in getting that list to the next stage of being a top 4 contender.

I definately wouldn't be going down the path of any of the experienced coaches on the market.

Choco- too old school and fell away with the development of the modern game, speak to anyone at port power and they will tell you the reason the club is in the situation it is, is because of the state choco left it in. yes he won them a flag and was a terrific coach 5 years ago. But the game has changed dramitcally the last 5 years and choco refused to give up his old methods and didn't evolve with the game, instead it went right on by him.

Eade- there is no question he is a good coach, however he has been relatively successful at 2 clubs now, both clubs ended up giving him the sack as they didnt think he was able to deliver on a premiership. He has always been seen as a sound tactician. However outside of gameday with his communication skills have always lacked. And in todays game that is almost more important then what happens in the coaches box on match day. Think he would be terrific as a senior assistant.

Mark Harvey- Don't think he ever had the right mix of attack and defense at the dockers, never played a style of footy that could win you a flag. The dockers board knew that and that's why he is out the door.

So i think the best shot is for us to go after an untried coach who has been involved in a premiership either as a player and/or coach in the last 5 years.

There are rave reviews for his work up in Sydney. A change is as good as a holiday, and I think he's good enough to reinvent his game plan, as Malthouse has done.

And I don't buy that it was all Choco's fault at Port. That's absurd. Clearly his time was up there, but that club has much bigger problems than the bloke who talks to the players during breaks in play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Who better than Robert Harvey, then?

becuase he has only had 3 years assistant coaching expeirence, and i just can't see him as a saints coach as yet. cannot see aruthless streak in him at all.

Maybe having Brad Johnson on the panel isn't a stupid as some have made out:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/saints-sound-out-eade-for-top-job-20110922-1kn9j.html

St Kilda has contacted Eade's management to organise an interview with the former Sydney and Western Bulldogs coach, who last night confirmed he had an interest in the St Kilda position.

The Saints are understood to be casting the net wide in their quest for the right coach.

Ken Hinkley, Leon Cameron (formerly an assistant at the Dogs), Scott Watters, Alan Richardson (formerly an assistant at the Dogs), Leigh Tudor and Robert Harvey are likely to be sounded out, along with others.

Maybe having Brad Johnson on the panel isn't a stupid as some have made out:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/saints-sound-out-eade-for-top-job-20110922-1kn9j.html

St Kilda has contacted Eade's management to organise an interview with the former Sydney and Western Bulldogs coach, who last night confirmed he had an interest in the St Kilda position.

The Saints are understood to be casting the net wide in their quest for the right coach.

Ken Hinkley, Leon Cameron (formerly an assistant at the Dogs), Scott Watters, Alan Richardson (formerly an assistant at the Dogs), Leigh Tudor and Robert Harvey are likely to be sounded out, along with others.

We must have good golf cart drivers at Seaford.

We must have good golf cart drivers at Seaford.

Sandbelt mate ... sandbelt.

If the guy who hit Johnno was riding a shopping cart there would have been no problem (gotta stick to your core!).

Sandbelt mate ... sandbelt.

If the guy who hit Johnno was riding a shopping cart there would have been no problem (gotta stick to your core!).

True, regardless if it was a tricycle or a semi trailer he would have thrown himself forward.

I agree, its the most imposrtant position in the team so they have to be very thorough. I don't know why Scott Burns isn't being mentioned anymore. Unlike Watters who's only been ass coach for 1 year, Burns was ass coach at WC for 2 years and he's been learning off who I believe with no doubt has to be the Coach of the Year. What they have done at WC is nothing short of amazing going from LAST PLACE to top 4 and a prelim final in 1 year is Coaching at its best. He will bring alot of Woosha IP with him.

Leon Cameron would be great for the same reasons, 2 years at Hawks under 1 of the other best coaches in the league. Rocket would be a decent option too, you can't beat his experience and I'm sure he'll know exactly who he'd want to coach with him. I think if Cameron came on he could persuade Rocket to come on aswell as an Assistant or "Director of Coaching" as they like to call the senior assistants.

But is say NO! to Williams or Tudor. The others are way better options.

pretty sure burns has said he doesn't want to move back to melbourne, hence removing himself from the saints position.

I'm hoping Watters gets the gig, but wouldn't mind Leon Cameron either. Very highly thought of and he's had a very good apprenticeship if you ask me. As long as we start kicking goals again I'm happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back