Discussion Potential Coach Replacements

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
FYI Subi are in todays WAFL GF, suggesting Watters left the club in good shape (he inherited it in good shape too from Peter German 2004 & 2006 premierships, & who has Willy in the VFL GF).

Does German have BO because he sure can coach.

Good to hear, no surprise as Watters is highly regarded at Coll. Who knows maybe the Saints will give German an interview - he spent 2 years as asst at the Docker, and is currently Development coach at the WB I think.

Whilst I didn't see the GF, I'd be annoyed if the Saints went for Galea (particularly at close enough to 27yo). Whilst he's a nice kick for goal, I can't see him getting it at AFL level with his height and pace. Much easier in a VFL team with a dominant midfield every week.

I liked Eade's comments. That our top 6 A graders are very good, our next 6 B graders are very good and the rest there's room for kids.

He's got exactly the right idea, not that it was hard to work out. Still liking Watters though.

Your playing list is a bit like ours was at 2005/06. Cherry ripe to win a flag now.

With this in mind you could do worse than to have Neil Craig for a couple of seasons. You guys already play a similar style to us and he may be able to get the extra out of your guys to win a Grand Final.
Think back to 2005/06 when we were flying, and it is because of Craigy's coaching with our mature players who were all peaking.

But it would only be a quick fix to steal a flag IMO. He is not the best coach of younger players.

I'd have craig at the club in a second.

NOT as head coach, however there's a position for that man at an AFL club.

I liked Eade's comments. That our top 6 A graders are very good, our next 6 B graders are very good and the rest there's room for kids.

He's got exactly the right idea, not that it was hard to work out. Still liking Watters though.

when did he say this, do u have a link?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was good how calm Ayres was, even when Port were getting spanked in the 1st qtr.

Garry Ayres looks a different coach to the coach that lead the crows back in the mid 2000’s.

His record at VFL level is outstanding, and has the premierships to prove his worth.

What he has done at Port Melbourne this year is outstanding. The team didn’t lose a match for the whole season.
They played a Williamstown team stacked with players who have played or currently playing at AFL level, and beat them despite being up to 4 goals down in the first quarter.

I prefer this forum as opposed to saintsational, for the generally balanced views put forward by posters who can string a decent sentence together.
Unfortunately Ayres has copped a pasting there, mostly for his hairstyle (one poster remarked that Ayres & Harvey would be the toast of the AFL coaching circle for the thick, strong heads of hair they possess) and they way he coached 5+ years ago.

If he can take his methods across to us, along with a few players from Port he deems worthy of playing AFL, we could field a very strong team in a short period of time...

Garry Ayres looks a different coach to the coach that lead the crows back in the mid 2000’s.

His record at VFL level is outstanding, and has the premierships to prove his worth.

What he has done at Port Melbourne this year is outstanding. The team didn’t lose a match for the whole season.
They played a Williamstown team stacked with players who have played or currently playing at AFL level, and beat them despite being up to 4 goals down in the first quarter.

I prefer this forum as opposed to saintsational, for the generally balanced views put forward by posters who can string a decent sentence together.
Unfortunately Ayres has copped a pasting there, mostly for his hairstyle (one poster remarked that Ayres & Harvey would be the toast of the AFL coaching circle for the thick, strong heads of hair they possess) and they way he coached 5+ years ago.

If he can take his methods across to us, along with a few players from Port he deems worthy of playing AFL, we could field a very strong team in a short period of time...

Let me tell you one thing Saber, if they interview: Eade, Ayres, Watters, Hinkley and say Alan Richardson...it would become quite clear who the best candidate would be for our Club. The panel will have in mind a preferred option (ie Experienced coach, New blood etc), and it would take a pretty special presentation for them to change tack imo...but maybe it will happen.

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/saints-set-to-begin-interviews-20110927-1kvga.html

St Kilda will begin interviewing up to 10 candidates next week.

The Saints have ... contacted all candidates - half of whom approached the club, with the rest headhunted.

Mark Williams (has) not been contacted.

The Dockers have regularly inquired about (Farren) Ray through his management, and did so again recently.

Dawson ... could be a good fit with changes imminent in the Dockers' line-up.

But the Saints remain keen to retain the pair, which they have indicated to their manager, Marty Pask. Discussions with Pask broke down mid-season.

Industry sources suggest Ray's market value is about $350,000 a season, with Dawson's $250,000 to $300,000.

Robert Joske ... said Gilbert had no intention of leaving of the Saints.

I am failing to see how all of a sudden we are under salary cap pressure?? Isn't this year the last of the Lovett saga and his salary finally comes off the books?? Also we dumped Ball and got rid of his salary? Granted, we may have upgraded a few and resigned the youn guns but I would have thought with players moving into the Veterans list, our cap would be nicely balanced at this point. RL was suggesting the signing of a big name key forward earlier this year, surely he would have knowledge of the cap.

We need to keep Zac, and whilst Fazzle has become a good consistant player - Freo can have him if we can get something decent in return...Duffield perhaps?

Back on topic, I have a feeling that Banger is firming for the head coach position, with a very experencied group around him that would include some of the names mentioned in the article. (Eade, Watters, Hinkley)

I am failing to see how all of a sudden we are under salary cap pressure?? Isn't this year the last of the Lovett saga and his salary finally comes off the books?? Also we dumped Ball and got rid of his salary? Granted, we may have upgraded a few and resigned the youn guns but I would have thought with players moving into the Veterans list, our cap would be nicely balanced at this point. RL was suggesting the signing of a big name key forward earlier this year, surely he would have knowledge of the cap.

We need to keep Zac, and whilst Fazzle has become a good consistant player - Freo can have him if we can get something decent in return...Duffield perhaps?

Back on topic, I have a feeling that Banger is firming for the head coach position, with a very experencied group around him that would include some of the names mentioned in the article. (Eade, Watters, Hinkley)

You wont poach the likes of Watters and Hinkley for an assistant position.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...ng-job-interview/story-e6frf9jf-1226149028582

GOLD Coast assistant coach Ken Hinkley will interview for the St Kilda coaching job. The Herald Sun understands the Saints have asked Hinkley to present to the club’s coach selection panel.
Industry sources have endorsed Hinkley as the likely front-runner for the job vacated by new Fremantle boss Ross Lyon.
Hinkley is tipped to lead a field including former Bulldogs’ coach Rodney Eade, Hawthorn assistant Leon Cameron and Collingwood defensive strategist Scott Watters.
St Kilda legend Robert Harvey, who was one of Lyon’s right-hand men, has also applied for the position.

As much I hate to lose Hinkley from the Suns he would be an excellent coach for you guys. He is amazing around the club, has an excellent rapport with all players and most of all their respect. Always stays back after training to talk to the supporters and has really helped build the strong culture at our new club. As far as Footy brain and game plan, I'm not sure how much was Hinkley or Bluey this season, but as a bloke, you don't get much better.

As much I hate to lose Hinkley from the Suns he would be an excellent coach for you guys. He is amazing around the club, has an excellent rapport with all players and most of all their respect. Always stays back after training to talk to the supporters and has really helped build the strong culture at our new club. As far as Footy brain and game plan, I'm not sure how much was Hinkley or Bluey this season, but as a bloke, you don't get much better.

That would sound like a nice change from the dictatorship of Ross "Gadaffi" Lyon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back