Discussion Potential Coach Replacements

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
why are the interviews only starting now?

Is there a rush?

Get over the shock of a coach walking out, form a committee, contact potential candidates, book interview times together (accommodating those with GF commitments).

Don't see much of a problem myself. The only thing is that it would be great to have the coach locked and loaded for the B&F.

Is there a rush?

Get over the shock of a coach walking out, form a committee, contact potential candidates, book interview times together (accommodating those with GF commitments).

Don't see much of a problem myself. The only thing is that it would be great to have the coach locked and loaded for the B&F.

Doesn't that mean that the coach won't be there for trade week? Wouldn't a potential coach want a say in that?

Doesn't that mean that the coach won't be there for trade week? Wouldn't a potential coach want a say in that?

A potential coach has less knowlege of our list than the people currently at the club.
We have a board.
We have a head of football.
Under the head of football we have both recruiting and coaching.

Last thing we need is some hotshot walking in that hasn't got a clue about the capabilities of people like Smith, Winmar, Archer, Fergason, etc ( and face it probably Blake -Mr Invisible as well ) and calling the shots.

Normally the coach would have a pretty big say in things ( rightly or wrongly ), but whether we have one by trade week or not, it wont happen this year.

Normally the coach would have a pretty big say in things

Lyon's first calls were to get in Matthew Clarke (who was done as a player) and Gardiner (who hardly played for 2 years and was a feather away from finishing up).

OK, he used his Sydney contacts well in 2007.

But then had a deliberate (bad) strategy of targeting of talls in 2008.

And _ucked up 2009 with Lovett, Ball, and Jesse Smith.

Yeah, OK to let the list manager manage the list.

Saints official FB Page are saying that 1st round interviews are taking place this Thursday and Friday ......

Surprise suprise yet another thing SNF has gotten wrong, so much for entire process being completed.. Hahaha w***ers....

Lyon's first calls were to get in Matthew Clarke (who was done as a player) and Gardiner (who hardly played for 2 years and was a feather away from finishing up).

OK, he used his Sydney contacts well in 2007.

But then had a deliberate (bad) strategy of targeting of talls in 2008.

And _ucked up 2009 with Lovett, Ball, and Jesse Smith.

Yeah, OK to let the list manager manage the list.

In some ways it sucked with the Sydney trades, Farren Ray, King , Dawson , Gardiner all working out.
Its like what would happen if Fev got four aces, a straight and a royal flush in his first ever game of Poker. Just made it seem easy. Too Easy.

Saints official FB Page are saying that 1st round interviews are taking place this Thursday and Friday ......

Surprise suprise yet another thing SNF has gotten wrong, so much for entire process being completed.. Hahaha w***ers....
So much, "It is believed that..." By whom? "It is expected that..." By whom? "It is likely that..." How would you know?

Honestly, do they think people have time to waste on their guesses? Whatever happened to printing a story when you actually have one.

So here's my go at an unsourced inside source reliable rumour...

Statement from the club tomorrow.

Not sure what it's about, may just be mentioning what's going to happen but yeah...we shall see...

If only we were at Saintsational... plugger66 and BigMart are telling everybody how they intimately know the players, coaches, board-members, and the guys who wash the uniforms. We should just ask them. :rolleyes:

Speaking of sources...

There's a bloke who works a furniture store that just opened up recently (it's piss yellow, you can't miss it) who, upon me walking in in St Kilda top striked up conversation with "you know, I know Dal Santo"

Now, he's a Collingwood supporter, and tended to not STFU or take a breath during the entire visit (this being because my only words were "oh really?" and he crapped on like a wino), but damnit, I have sources and they are ironclad!

I'm now expecting to see several journos hounding the place and stating that residents avoid the urine looking building.

Now that my memory is jogging I think he said something about some manner of family member being related to some manner of his family member I dunno how far, bloke was a damned fool. "3 weeks for a Tv unit, 3 weeks!" *2 days later* "we got your unit, you gonna come get it?" *drool* thing had to be filed as well since the handles weren't filed properly... grrr.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasnt going to post it but it seems someone else has heard same thing as me over on SS but basically

Ken Hinkley has apparently pulled out of the race.....

From a business context, people "withdraw" from an application when it becomes clear from initial discussions that you are not on the same page with a potential employer. No point wasting time with a formal presentation.

We shouldn't chase the most technically competent person who just wants to be a senior coach. We need the person who has the technical skills but also the passion to coach St Kilda, and a clear idea of what is required to give the best chance of success.

A potential coach has less knowlege of our list than the people currently at the club.
We have a board. We have a head of football.
Under the head of football we have both recruiting and coaching.

Last thing we need is some hotshot walking in that hasn't got a clue about the capabilities of people like Smith, Winmar, Archer, Fergason, etc ( and face it probably Blake -Mr Invisible as well ) and calling the shots.

Normally the coach would have a pretty big say in things ( rightly or wrongly ), but whether we have one by trade week or not, it wont happen this year.

Yes ideally it would have been great to have the new coach in place for the Trade period.

All for not rushing the process, but some of the people currently in place haven't been there very long - Pelchen's been there 10 mins, and Bains not all that long. Hutchison, Harvey and the other 2 assistants would have a better knowledge of the list.

As for a new coach coming in not having a clue about lower profile players - scouting and viewing tapes of opp teams means clubs have a strong knowledge of opp strengths/weaknesses. Some clubs assistants have a primary role as Opp Analysts (as well as forward scouts)

The applicants should be able to put up an overhead of their best Saints side in positions - with a few gaps where they needed to develop/recruit/trade.

I bet you applicants for the coaching position would, in their presentations, need to display a very good grasp on the playing group - not just their coaching philosophy on how footy should be played, and management style...

There was talk about him not wanting to move again for the sake of his family.

If that was the case, he's clearly not cut out to be a senior coach.

If that was the case, he's clearly not cut out to be a senior coach.

It also wouldnt be the first time he has withdrawn from going for a senior job...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back