Discussion Potential Coach Replacements

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/two-left-in-race-for-saints-job/story-e6frf9io-1226166706968

THE St Kilda coaching race has been narrowed down to Ken Hinkley and Scott Watters.

The Herald Sun understands highly rated Carlton assistant coach Alan Richardson has missed out.

An announcement on Ross Lyon's replacement is expected within the next two days.

The Saints are believed to have been impressed by the pair’s final presentations yesterday.

Hinkley has served Gold Coast as an assistant coach for the past two seasons after a successful stint at Geelong.

Watters has won high acclaim for his work at the Westpac Centre as the Pies’ defensive coach.

Previously he won two flags in three years at WAFL club Subiaco.

I wouldnt trust that article. Dont believe anything until the official announcemet is made. Just remember these so called "experts" havent got one of these coaching jobs correct this year!!!

SportsLiesFirst are reporting its down to those two aswell (here) so i guess the job is Richardsons ;)

Looks like the Saints Bubble is well and truly alive post RL and DM! No one knows, so let's just wait, those Saints hating journos like Barrett must be SPEWING!!!
FYI Jon Ralph is the man to listen too, he knows and is trusted by all industry people.

Looks like the Saints Bubble is well and truly alive post RL and DM! No one knows, so let's just wait, those Saints hating journos like Barrett must be SPEWING!!!
FYI Jon Ralph is the man to listen too, he knows and is trusted by all industry people.

aren't you mate with Thommo, Brian? I'm sure he would know...doesn't Thommo post on here?

Don't take my thunder, already announced this 3 weeks ago.

Play on!

Your thunder? I was the first to mention Watters as a possible candidate in this thread 4 weeks ago.

There's also Scott Watters who is an assistant at Collingwood and coached Subiaco to a couple of premierships in the WAFL.

Might be a roughie.

Have to say that I didn't really expect him to make it down to the last two or three condidates back then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely they'd wait until after trade week?

I thought it might have been announced today or tomorrow to give the new coach a chance to have some say on the final stages of trade week but not sure they would have much influence anyway with Pelchin already handling most of it.

I thought it might have been announced today or tomorrow to give the new coach a chance to have some say on the final stages of trade week but not sure they would have much influence anyway with Pelchin already handling most of it.

Don't mean to single you out or anything but there's no reason for the club to make such a stupid decision like that. The recruitment department + head of football are handling the trade period, adding in another individual for 2-3 days is entirely a pointless exercise and effectively screws with any plans that were made unless he tows the party line and is completely moot in popping in just so the club can say "yup, head coach was involved".

This schedule the club is working towards was specifically aimed so that the head coach had zero or severely limited influence in the trading period on his inception.

How do we know that the credit doesnt go to Elshaug, or even Bevo?
It could even be a nice friendly groupy thing.

Don't mean to single you out or anything but there's no reason for the club to make such a stupid decision like that. The recruitment department + head of football are handling the trade period, adding in another individual for 2-3 days is entirely a pointless exercise and effectively screws with any plans that were made unless he tows the party line and is completely moot in popping in just so the club can say "yup, head coach was involved".

This schedule the club is working towards was specifically aimed so that the head coach had zero or severely limited influence in the trading period on his inception.

Maybe they were sick of "the Coach" butting in where he didnt belong in the past.

Maybe they were sick of "the Coach" butting in where he didnt belong in the past.

I think it's more his input would really be rather pointless, no slight to whoever it is but you couldn't see them having strong views on the integrity of the list that it'd be deferred to the other people and he'd be a spectator. People just overestimate the role of specific roles in these situations and go for the more "romantic" or "traditional" method.

Well no doubt the recruiting department would have handled the trade period but it still might have helped to have a coach around to give his views. Not that it's really the club's fault that Lyon left them in the lurch and it's better they take their time and appoint the right candidate rather than rushing the appointment to have a coach in place for the trade period.

Whether they appoint a coach today or tomorrow or sometime next week probably won't affect our trading decisions for the rest of the trade period anyway.

Well no doubt the recruiting department would have handled the trade period but it still might have helped to have a coach around to give his views. Not that it's really the club's fault that Lyon left them in the lurch and it's better they take their time and appoint the right candidate rather than rushing the appointment to have a coach in place for the trade period.

Whether they appoint a coach today or tomorrow or sometime next week probably won't affect our trading decisions for the rest of the trade period anyway.

Not sure that a coach could have improved much on the first trade, and I'm not even convinced that Ross Lyon would have been familiar enough with Tom Lynch to set a value, let alone a new guy.

Any word on possible assistants? Is Richardson a chance to join as senior assistant?

Someone that hasnt been talked about at all, flown completely under the radar.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back