Discussion Potential Coach Replacements

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hinkley could be a good option too.

What I like about Sanderson is that he was there through Thompson's successes and he's also had an opportunity to see how Chris Scott coaches successfully as well. You can't understimate how well Scott has coached in his first year and he always talks very highly of Sanderson.

Same thing goes for McCartney. Essendon have over achieved this year and you always here Hird aknowlege McCartneys contribution to that.

My old man just rang to tell me that the Courier Mail is reporting the Saints have held talks with Chocco and that there could be an announcement very soon. (As early as today??)

I haven't seen the report, but if it was written by Andrew Hamilton you can almost be certain it is made up:thumbsu:

Using the Malthouse/Milne incident as reason why we won't get Mick to coach the Saints in 2012 is poor form - as if Milne isn't big enough to get past a little white-line-fever incident from more than a year ago! And as if Malthouse is still so hurt that he would drop our best forward over such a petty incident. Isn't the first or last time either bloke will be called those things, and both men are professional enough to just get over it, so poor argument.

The real reason we won't get Malthouse is because we can't afford him! Doesn't mean we shouldn't have a crack; appeal to his ego, rather than wallet? It's an unpopular opinion, I know.

I think Tudor is too familiar with our list, and may not be ruthless enough to make the tough changes we need. I like Brenton Sanderson, and has anyone mentioned Ken Hinkley; is he a potential option?

Can Malthouse do anything without finance for: Arizona, dozens of assistants, first class facilities, whatever he want?

What hard decisions would you want Tudor to make, given that the 2012 list is likely to be finalised before the new coach arrives?

I'm hoping that our game plan can largely remain intact, but the necessary tweaks made. Evolution not revolution. Trying to start from scratch could easily turn the team into something like Port Adelaide, and dont forget Collingwoods plan has a lot in common with StKilda's.

The Milne incident, and the subsequent "apology", is an indication of the disrespect Malthouse feels towards the St Kilda Football Club, and that disrespect is the reason he should not be considered.

It seems to me from this thread that the point of emphasis is not who the senior coach is, but who makes up the entire panel. This is indicative of where footy is going today at the highest level. A great team of assistants can make an ordinary coach (see Carlton).

Can Malthouse do anything without finance for: Arizona, dozens of assistants, first class facilities, whatever he want?

What hard decisions would you want Tudor to make, given that the 2012 list is likely to be finalised before the new coach arrives?

Probably fodder for another thread, but certainly nothing that hasn't been mentioned before. Disposal accuracy is killing us, this needs to be remedied; if not through training, through culling and recruiting. Maybe this also falls more into Pelchen's role in the absence of a senior coach.

But I'm not even just talking about trade period - throughout the year some guys get pencilled in every week without showing why, or they spend a week at Sandy, coming straight back in. I don't want to be worried about who the Coaches favourites are; select the best 22 every week and everyone will be trying their utmost to get into and stay in the team.

I'm hoping that our game plan can largely remain intact, but the necessary tweaks made. Evolution not revolution. Trying to start from scratch could easily turn the team into something like Port Adelaide, and dont forget Collingwoods plan has a lot in common with StKilda's.
I also agree with this, though. I believe Chris Scott's success at Geelong was because he didn't throw the baby out with the bathwater, but he also wasn't afraid to break a few eggs, and found spots for a lot of new kids that have really hit the ground running and in the absence of arguably their best player they actually look like an improved side this year. We need that; the next piece to the puzzle - Collingwood took our forward pressure, but instead of just stopping up the opposition goals, they create turnovers and punish in the other direction.

The Milne incident, and the subsequent "apology", is an indication of the disrespect Malthouse feels towards the St Kilda Football Club, and that disrespect is the reason he should not be considered.

As I said, my opinion is certainly not a popular one with Saints fans (A shared hatred of Malthouse has been fairly universally enjoyed), but the point I was making is that I'm prepared to put it down to white line fever, and that things said in the heat of battle don't necessarily mean you have to stand by that statement for the rest of your career. It's not legal and binding.

Maybe this is a bad example given how things turned out, but recruiters didn't shy away from the Lovett trade just because Roo had sledged him that he bashed his missus.

I completely refute the suggestion that coaches undergo "white line fever". They are not under any physical pressure, are older men who should know better, and are hired on the basis of their calmness under pressure.

If he did let his emotions get the better of him, he only said what he truly believed, and his mealy-mouthed non-apology apology confirms this.

If Malthouse was hired it would send a strong message to any great of the club, of which Stephen Milne is, that we aren't really concerned with how you are treated.

And, if only for accuracy's sake, Lovett was found in a court of law to have done the things Riewoldt's accused him of.

I'm hoping that our game plan can largely remain intact, but the necessary tweaks made. Evolution not revolution.

Yep. Not looking for much more than:
- Third marking forward in most games. Defensive forward concept scrubbed.
- Injured guys don't play.
- Avoiding picking players because of the "game plan" to be avoided!
- They play in the VFL in the same positions as they would play in the AFL.
- Ease up on recruiting half backs from other teams!
- Riewoldt needs to act as decoy more often (if he can attract 2 opponents away from the hotspot).
- The boundary line is not to be feared when moving the ball forward.
- Kick over a teammates head into space more often when they have a break on their opponent (we started doing this but stopped for some reason).
- Subs are to be high impact (burst) players.
- Players are not to chip backwards (particlarly when it ends up with someone with ordinary disposal) when it is only keepings off instead of trying to implement a switch or getting the ball into the hands of a better kicker.

Not real hard to implement.

I completely refute the suggestion that coaches undergo "white line fever". They are not under any physical pressure, are older men who should know better, and are hired on the basis of their calmness under pressure.

If he did let his emotions get the better of him, he only said what he truly believed, and his mealy-mouthed non-apology apology confirms this.

If Malthouse was hired it would send a strong message to any great of the club, of which Stephen Milne is, that we aren't really concerned with how you are treated.

And, if only for accuracy's sake, Lovett was found in a court of law to have done the things Riewoldt's accused him of.

Forget about Malthouse guys. Will never happen.

Looks like McCartney is off to coach the Doggies. Burns off to Adelaide.

Leaves us with:

Watters
Sanderson
Hinkley
Richardson

Eade
Ayres
Craig
Williams

I still think Sando is the best option (i just can't see us hiring an ex coach. It doesn't make sense). Give him a 3 year deal (+ 1 extension) and a really good set of assistants.

It seems to me from this thread that the point of emphasis is not who the senior coach is, but who makes up the entire panel. This is indicative of where footy is going today at the highest level. A great team of assistants can make an ordinary coach (see Carlton).

Agree.

I think Lyon being difficult to work with (and a fair old control freak) didn't help us get the best team in place - you need to pay them extra to work with a prick, but we don't have the budget for that.

I'm prepared to put it down to white line fever.

recruiters didn't shy away from the Lovett trade

Can't accept that. Malthouse's conduct after the game was shameful. Couldn't even admit he'd done it, and allowed Maxwell to make an arse of himself on TV (actually, he doesn't need any help to do that). Refused to pick up the phone and ring Milne (which would have doused the issue completely).

And how did the Lovett trade go BTW?

Im sure he's been mentioned but cant be bothered going through the 8 pages to find out, but surely Gary Ayres has to be up top of the list? Has taken Port Melbourne to a Grand Final without losing a game. Must be doing something right....

Me Me Me.
He was quite simply one of the greatest footballers I have ever seen.
There was a game when the Hawks were 10 goals down at 1/2 time against the Cats at Princess Park, this from memory increased to 13 goals during the third quarter. Jeans swung Ayers onto the ball. Hawks won.Cats didn't roll over they kept scoring, I think they were still 4 goals up at time on. Perhaps the best 1/2 of football I have seen in my life. If someone can find it I recommend it for summer viewing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Me Me Me.
He was quite simply one of the greatest footballers I have ever seen.
There was a game when the Hawks were 10 goals down at 1/2 time against the Cats at Princess Park, this from memory increased to 13 goals during the third quarter. Jeans swung Ayers onto the ball. Hawks won.Cats didn't roll over they kept scoring, I think they were still 4 goals up at time on. Perhaps the best 1/2 of football I have seen in my life. If someone can find it I recommend it for summer viewing.

Vossy was a pretty good footballer too.

Gary Ayres would be fantastic for the players psychology, which is a massively under-rated facet of coaching. As long as we had a stong tactical assistant (Laidley maybe) who has been around AFL clubs recently, I think he would be worth a go.

LOL. Only for the fact that when he answers a question he uses the full name of the journalist posing said question?

"That's a really good question Michelangelo Rucci".

No love for Gavin Brown brothers?

LOL. Only for the fact that when he answers a question he uses the full name of the journalist posing said question?

"That's a really good question Michelangelo Rucci".

No love for Gavin Brown brothers?

I spoke to a former VFL coach who told me that if you take all the players in the comp and test them on 4 or 5 basics of the game i.e. Right foot kick, left foot kick, speed over 20m etc that 90% of the players were within 5% of each other on all of these things. (this was in the 80's when football players were recruited not athletes, so players might not be so close today).

He as a sports psychologist believed that getting the players mentally right was pretty much the most important thing for the coach to do.

He took over a team that was 3-12 and they went 5-2 under him to finish the season. I'd say his theory seems pretty solid.

My preferance is to get Leigh Tudor back into the fold. He has been a head coach before (albeit in the VFL) for four years and 1 premiership with the cats VFL side, before joining us and most recently with the swans - both of which have enjoyed succuess during hes tenure.

He should come relatively cheap which might provide funds for a football manager (ala N.Balme at the Cats) and a couple of the more senior assistants.

Brenton Sanderson gone to Adelaide

That means Scott Burns & Leon Cameron are still available. These were 2 "young" guys that were on my wishlist, but thought they were as good as gone elsewhere. Make it happen Saints!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back