Potential Draftee Watch - Version 2008

Remove this Banner Ad

What about Ben Bucarvars(spelling?)

Seems like a decent project player and he is very solid and strong over the ball for his age (17)- Is in the Vic Country squad and worth a look!
:thumbsu:;)

Rizzo,can you tell a bit more about Ben, i.e what sort of a player he is, position he plays,could he get drafted etc... Thanks.

Ben is a hard running Half Forward. Solidly built as well as you can see. He has nice hands and good disposal. Always likes to do the team things, and is never selfish. He has been trying out down back for the falcons recently. Which is awesome. If he can be good at either end of the ground it will be a bonus for him. Injuries spoilt his carnival. Definite draft chance. I would say between rounds 3-5. Good late selection.

BTW my other draft profiles are still another couple weeks away. My laptop got reimaged and i lost it all :(

Just watched the wrap up on Fox. Ranga was AA RR, Lisle got named at CHB and while Broadbent missed out Sheehan and Wells still gave him a bit of a pump up.

1. Explosive midfielder with great disposal (Mitch Robinson, Heyne)
2. Tall, Fast, Strong Backman, Someone to stop Buddy (Lisle, Trengrove)
3. Quick, Lead-Mark-Kick FF to complement Hawkins (Johnstone)

Just watched the wrap up on Fox. Ranga was AA RR, Lisle got named at CHB and while Broadbent missed out Sheehan and Wells still gave him a bit of a pump up.

I knew something was up when my dick got hard between 1 and 1:30pm today :D

I agree, these seem to be the names that are mooted to be potentially available around Geelong's selections.

I'm not too sure Johnston would be classed as a key back but I liked the look of Lisle (and his old man played for the 'roos so it would be nice to snatch him off them after they took Colbert, Thompson and *cough* Thurley) while the wraps on Trengove are good.

Robinson will be intersting to watch, after the Championships his stocks have risen however I think people should keep in mind he is a 19 year old so you'd expect him to play well in the 2nd division, especially since he is already playing VFL.

DeBoer is another one to ponder. Lot of people have slammed his kicking but that is something that can be ironed out. Teaching players to find the footy is a bit different.

If we work on losing Prismall (I think late teens through to 30 would be about right for him) that gives Geelong a couple of picks in the top 30.

Go after Lisle, Trengove or maybe a Cahill (who I think could adapt to a CHB role).

The next pick you could throw up a number of names but a small-mid backman would be the go I think.

Overall, I think Geelong are pretty well placed.

Looks great as a forward but I figure he is the type that could adapt to the backline well.

Looks great as a forward but I figure he is the type that could adapt to the backline well.

Be interesting. If he could do that he'd be hot property that's for sure.

Watching Johnstone I got the impression of a Robert Murphy/Steve Johnson type, lying somewhere in between the classic crumbing small forward and a 'true' KPP. Not sure I'd want him for the backline, especially when you've got Ziebell, Strauss, Broadbent etc up for grabs.

Watching Johnstone I got the impression of a Robert Murphy/Steve Johnson type, lying somewhere in between the classic crumbing small forward and a 'true' KPP. Not sure I'd want him for the backline, especially when you've got Ziebell, Strauss, Broadbent etc up for grabs.

He'd be a great get but I think he'll be snapped up inside the top 10. What I really like about this kid - when Tassie got close in the 3rd he was put into the middle of the ground and straight away got the clearance.

The clearance wasn't the important part, what was important to me was that the coach sent him into the middle because the opposition was coming back.

Whoever gets him is getting a very, very good player.

Here is a mock draft I posted on the main Drafting and Trading Board-

Melbourne - Jack Watts - Demons have deficiencies at both ends of the ground. Watts will help the forward half with Neitz's retirement.

West Coast - Rich - will take the best WA player in my opinion in the draft. Rich is ready made and will with Masten, Ebert and Selwood be the future of the WC midfield.

Fremantle - Natanui - still not convinced that Nicholas is going to recognize his undoubted athletic potential. However it is hard to see Freo going any other way, particularly if they lose Warnock. Stand by if Warnock stays, as Ziebell or Hartlett will come into the picture.

Port Adelaide - Hartlett - is SA premier U18 midfielder. Port have the luxury I believe in taking the best available player regardless of their prospective position. Will err to the SA player ahead of Ziebell.

Essendon - Ziebell - the perfect fit for the bombers. They have recruited for pace, now for the injection of in-and-under mongrel to complement Watson's extracting skills. A monty for the bombers pick if he drops this far.

Carlton - Hurley - Have addressed the midfield in the last few drafts with Murphy, Gibbs, and Judd. Now to give Jamison some assistance. I'm not convinced that Bower is a top liner and Austin is yet to get a game. Keep drafting the talent and one or two will make it. Hurley will be the backbone of this team into the future.

Richmond - McKernan - Now it gets a little tougher to predict. Tigers still need to add to their midfield depth, but could do with a talented tall forward as well. Have settled on McKernan as he is possibly the next best tall in the draft. Vickery will move up the rankings following his last U18 game and is also a chance as is Trengove who was rated highly before injury.

Adelaide - Johnstone - a tall marking forward is their major requirement. Have an underrated young crop of midfielders with VanBerlo, Knights, Douglas and Dangerfield. With Sellar, the local boy Johnstone could form part of the future dual pronged attack that Adelaide have failed to realise.

North - Sidebottom - Simpson and Harvey are not getting any younger. Sidebottom is all class and will fill a future need for the Kangas.

Saints - Trengove - will have to replace Hudgeton and maybe even Maguire in the future. Was highly rated prior to getting injured but we all know how Joel Selwood has turned out. Was a tough pick for me. They could alternatively add to their midfield with Yarran, Suban or Robinson here.

Brisbane - Suban - to me Suban will either go around this pick or else be one to fall lower than expected. His skill level, hardness and general ball getting ability will appeal to the Lions.

Collingwood - Yarran - Pies need an injection of spark into their midfield and Yarran provides it in spades. Will be an exciting team to watch with Didak, Medhurst and Thomas. Ready made and will really add to pies fortunes in 2009.

Sydney - Robinson - provides a bit of run and dash which will complement the inside skills of their young midfielders in Bird, Jack and Moore.

Hawthorn - Blease - another tough pick for me. Are deficient in tall backmen but do they use this pick on Lisle? I'm inclined to think they will trade for Mundy and keep their first pick for best available. Blease showed me enough in particularly the U18 Champ final to say he deserves to be a first round pick. Quick and skilled, he will complement the inside skills of Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis and Sewell.

Bulldogs - Cordy - Bulldogs will be forced to take him here.

Geelong - Heyne - Cats can afford to be a bit creative here. Heyne has moved up the rankings after an impressive U18 carnival. Great hands and good skills, he has plenty of ability and scope for further improvement. Would be a typical Stephen Wells speculative pick (think Mackie). Lisle is another option here if the cats are uncomfortable with Matthew Egan's future. With Harry Taylor they would form a good future tall back duo with Milburn and Harley's retirement not too far away.

Interesting read (as are most the mock/phantom/wishful thinking drafts).

I have a feeling that Natanui might be a slight drifter.

Here is my thinking as to why - and I stress it is purely an opinion.

Regardless of whether Melbourne get Warnock or not I suspect they'll still go after Watts as he services a need that Melbourne has (key forward) as well as being (arguably) the best player eligible (if he does nominate) in the draft.

Someone who I respect on these sorts of things stated he felt Watts was the number 1 pick the moment he set eyes on him. This person has a truck load more knowledge of these things than I so I have no reason to disagree with him (which I don't).

Also, if Melbourne do get a PP (which they are every chance to) there will still be opportunities to snare a ruckman if they feel they need one (Redden from SA is bound to be available at pick 17 or 18 for example).

West Coast, Fremantle and Port Adelaide look set to take the next rungs.

West Coast might select Natanui because they don't appear to have a genuine back-up. He is local and learning off the best in the business in Cox would make him tempting but I just think West Coast might go for another midfielder - Hartlett or Rich. Suddenly West Coast start re-building their midfield and in 3-5 years they will be scary with Ebert, Masten and Rich/Hartlett running around.

Fremantle, again they may go Natanui (especially if they lose Warnock) but if they don't, they might very well do anything. Could they use another midfielder? Yep, Rich or Harlett would fit the bill. Could they use a KP forward? Yep, Tarrent hasn't worked out, McPharlin can't play both ends and Pavlich needs help. Vickery or McKernan could be a chance (again if Warnock leaves) as both can play ruck and play forward (something I don't believe Natanui can do just yet - play forward that is) but pick 3 might be too high for them. Lewis Johnson?? Maybe but pick 3 seems awful high for him. I'm thinking KP Defender in Hurley (who can also go forward if required) giving Fremantle the luxury of mix-and-matching with McPharlin. I think it'll either be Harlett/Rich or Hurley.

Port may be the one Natanui goes to as Lade is getting on. Port, for mine, seems the most natural fit but a lot seems to hinge on what happens with Lade. Port has a great record with young kids as well so would back itself to fast-track Natanui's perceived lack of footy nous. Other than ruck, a big-bodied forward might be considered. The question is who? McKernan or Vickey again may come into play. Or possibly a Johnson (who may be a little short for key position but would have to come under consideration considering his ability to mark) or even a Cahill or Schoenmakers as they are local lads but again this is pick 4 and Port may be short changing itself if it went for either of those two. That said, it wouldn't surprise me if Ziebell goes this high (maybe higher). I personally rate him better than both Hartlett and Rich

So, for mine Natanui could go from #1 to #4 pretty easily and could potentially slide further when you consider that Sidebottom, Ziebell :)thumbsu:), Robinson (his stocks have risen), McKernan, Vickery, Hill, De Boer, Cornelius, Zaharakis, Tengove, Suban, Blease, Broadbent (like I'd forget him), Johnson, Heyne and Yarren will all be floating around the place as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know who I have pencilled in there ;)
We're going to have to trade Prismall if we want to fulfill our dual Broadbent/Lisle dream, aren't we ;)?

Interesting that during my stalki - er....following of Lisle on the internets I found the Carey match reports - and while they sound like a pretty ordinary team, Lisle has been playing predominantly up forward and kicking a few. I know we'd almost certainly use him as a backmen, but handy nonetheless to know he can push forward,

We're going to have to trade Prismall if we want to fulfill our dual Broadbent/Lisle dream, aren't we ;)?

Interesting that during my stalki - er....following of Lisle on the internets I found the Carey match reports - and while they sound like a pretty ordinary team, Lisle has been playing predominantly up forward and kicking a few. I know we'd almost certainly use him as a backmen, but handy nonetheless to know he can push forward,

In all seriousness, Broadbent might slide to Geelong's 2nd pick. Maybe wishful thinking but Broadbent in the mid 30s would be a huge win IMO. :thumbsu:

As for Natanui...you raise some interesting points and it would be fascinating to be a fly on the wall in the leadership meetings of WCE. Looking at their list as it stands, though, they've basically fleshed out the basic structure of their next team save a ruckman - so I would think there's a strong possibility they'll go on to draft Natanui. In their next 'window' team they should still have Rosa, Butler and Priddis in addition to Ebert and Masten so their midfield depth is already pretty good.

In all seriousness, Broadbent might slide to Geelong's 2nd pick. Maybe wishful thinking but Broadbent in the mid 30s would be a huge win IMO. :thumbsu:

I reckon there is every chance that Broadbent will last until our second pick.

If given the option who would you take with our first pick from Heyne, Lisle, Robinson, Vickery and Blease? I wouls say they are all realistic chances to last until pick 18 at this stage.

If given the option who would you take with our first pick from Heyne, Lisle, Robinson, Vickery and Blease? I wouls say they are all realistic chances to last until pick 18 at this stage.

I'd have to agree with you in regards to Broadbent. I also believe that Lisle is a big chance to fall to our 2nd round pick.

With our first pick, Well's will more than likely pick the best available. From the 5 above, that would be Vickery. Although I think he'll be closer to top 10 as his rating is growing. He really has all the tools to be a quality ruckman and be a great resting forward option. I love how clean he is in the air.

I can also see Geelong taking a risk with either of the injured Trengove and Swift. Admittedly, I've never seen them play. But from what people are saying, they could be anything if they get over their injuries. Geelong can afford to take such risks.

I think we can afford to leave needs at least until round 2.

I've been on the Lisle bandwagon for a while as I think he is more in keeping with what Geelong needs in a defender. An anchoring type who, in time, can take the power forward allowing the other defenders to attack and zone off.

I think he could be groomed into an Egan type defender.

I know a lot of people think he could slide and there are others who think Trengove might be around.

I haven't seen Trengove so I can't comment but I like Lisle and in this situation I feel GFC should draft for need. If they wait and he, Trengove and Heyne are snapped up before Geelong's 2nd pick then I'd view it as a missed opportunity to groom a guy for when Scarlett and Harley finish up.

Out of those bolded I'd still go with Lisle with Heyne as the second choice but I'm hoping both Lisle and Trengove are available to choose from.

I'd have to agree with you in regards to Broadbent. I also believe that Lisle is a big chance to fall to our 2nd round pick.

With our first pick, Well's will more than likely pick the best available. From the 5 above, that would be Vickery. Although I think he'll be closer to top 10 as his rating is growing. He really has all the tools to be a quality ruckman and be a great resting forward option. I love how clean he is in the air.

I can also see Geelong taking a risk with either of the injured Trengove and Swift. Admittedly, I've never seen them play. But from what people are saying, they could be anything if they get over their injuries. Geelong can afford to take such risks.

I think we can afford to leave needs at least until round 2.
Vickery will be gone before Geelong's first pick I think and even if he wasn't at the moment the Cats have 5 ruckmen so it may be overkill to get a 6th unless West is put on the table during Trade Week or Mumford is cut loose (both seem a little unlikely).

Unless one of the SA sides blinks, I agree, Broadbent may very well be available when Geelong's 2nd turn comes around. I still think he'd be a great get for the Cats and would fit in nicely. Half back, clean, good under pressure and a can go into the midfield.

He is under-rated on Bigfooty but I have a feeling a few clubs rate him. Of course, I am biased.

I don't want to put too much pressure on the kid but can I suggest that if Jordan Lisle had been playing last night, Buddy's stat sheet would have read 0-0-0-0-0-0-0?

:p

I don't want to put too much pressure on the kid but can I suggest that if Jordan Lisle had been playing last night, Buddy's stat sheet would have read 0-0-0-0-0-0-0?

:p

:D Soon you'll have his opponents handing the ball over saying "we're not worthy, we're not worthy"

BTW - Broadbent in the best for the Eagles over the weekend. ;)

The question should really be - how small are the CHFs in the SANFL??

I had him pegged as the same size as Mackie but I read in the NAB record that he was 189cm - hmmm *scratches chin*, maybe he's done a bit of growing??

Nice work in the Prismall thread BTW - it made a lot of sense, then again, maybe I'm a convert.

The question should really be - how small are the CHFs in the SANFL??

I had him pegged as the same size as Mackie but I read in the NAB record that he was 189cm - hmmm *scratches chin*, maybe he's done a bit of growing??

Nice work in the Prismall thread BTW - it made a lot of sense, then again, maybe I'm a convert.
Ta mate, I actually figured I was channeling your arguments ;).

EDIT: And yeah...presumably the bloke he was playing on was smallish. But nonetheless, CHB at 189cm and 17....

Remove this Banner Ad

Potential Draftee Watch - Version 2008

Remove this Banner Ad

Back