Mega Thread Potential future father-son selections

Remove this Banner Ad

How good is bailey Scott anyway??

What draft range are we talking?

How good is he.. From memory Pure has he possibly get a bid from 15 on..he has been quite hot on not taking a R1 pick that late.. I think he is probably an R2 type pick ..so 25-30 on.. FSons tend to be let go ..however being tied to Gold Coast probably complicates it.

In the end it is only a guess. It only takes one club... and he is a different player to a normal FSon.. and Gold Coast have a lot more picks earlier than that.. so they may just call him early.

It’s certainly unusual he is taking so long there’s really no reason unless he’s actually still unsure. Two of the clubs have finished for the year and I’m not sure what impact it did make even though Geelong are still playing.
If he doesn’t nominate Geelong we may try to get some earlier picks back in I doubt Brownless is bid on till later. Although I think both Scott and brownless will be good players.
The only comparable situation I can think of is Bailey Rice waiting until mid-October to choose St Kilda over Carlton. I know Blakey was in an almost identical situation earlier this year but if we were rolling like the Swans then this may be an easier decision for Scott. Obviously there are many factors that come into play with the three clubs he's eligible to join. If it was a simple decision, we would know his intentions by now.

I saw a bit of him in the flesh this year and I'm certain he's going to be a good player. Obviously captaining the Allies this year also means he has leadership qualities. Having said that, I'm trying to not get too excited because I know there's a genuine possibility he won't choose us.

Are we just a little bit arrogant ... what is this generation Y X Z whatever.. maybe they look at things a bit differently.... then again.. perhaps he should have a talk to some previous Suns and perhaps a few guys who have played in side under the hammer. ..like Schache.

Lets look at this thru rational eyes.. if he comes to Geelong.. where does he fit?
On the wing if Kelly goes. In the middle when Gaz finishes.

It’s certainly unusual he is taking so long there’s really no reason unless he’s actually still unsure. Two of the clubs have finished for the year and I’m not sure what impact it did make even though Geelong are still playing.
If he doesn’t nominate Geelong we may try to get some earlier picks back in I doubt Brownless is bid on till later. Although I think both Scott and brownless will be good players.
Being the GFC optimist I am, I think he is holding off until the team of his choice has finished for the season.
Any guesses who that would be:)

If Scott selects Gold Coast he is not serious about becoming the best footballer he can be.

I actually lean the other way a bit. If he rates his fitness, skill set, and leadership he'd get far more opportunities more quickly at GCS. He establishes himself as a senior player there very quickly. Then consider the afl would not let the suns be a basket case much longer and would probably go full Melbourne on their intervention. Kinda like the position Jack Viney is in at Melbourne now. Walked into a basket case and is now a cornerstone of a team that is well coached, experienced enough, and has more top ten picks than australia had had PMs since John Howard. High risk, but a player that backs himself would be considering it.

There's definitely pros to training and playing alongside some of the best players of the last 20 years at the cats with a coaching group with a good reputation. Or go to North where the coaching group is probably considered reasonably good but he gets earlier opportunity than the at the cats. Couldn't pick it. We'll have to wait for BS to tell us

Father-son draft prospect to make call on future
DRAFT prospect Bailey Scott will meet with Geelong, North Melbourne and Gold Coast in coming weeks as he gets closer to making a call on his preferred destination.

The midfielder is in a rare position where he can join the Cats and Roos as a father-son pick, given his dad Robert played more than 100 games at both clubs.

But he is also a member of the Suns Academy and is eligible to join Gold Coast under that system given he has lived in its Queensland zone for more than five years.

He will meet each club before next month's NAB AFL Draft Combine with a decision likely to be made shortly after the catch-ups.

The clubs also need to establish their priorities and where they see Scott fitting, with the hard-running wingman seen as a possible second-round pick.

Scott has until closer to November's NAB AFL Draft to lodge his preferred home, but under the revised father-son and Academy bidding system which came in 2015, he will also be able to enter other preferences.

It means should a bid come on Scott from a rival club and his first preferred club does not want to match it, the next club on his preferences will be able to jump in and match the bid.

Scott has enjoyed a consistent season and was named an under-18 All Australian after a strong championships while captaining the Allies when he averaged 24 disposals a game.

The 186cm 18-year-old can also push forward and has shown he has a top-end endurance base.

Fellow NAB AFL Academy graduate Nick Blakey faced a similar choice to Scott earlier this season when he had the option of joining Brisbane or North Melbourne as a father-son, or Sydney as an Academy member.

In what was not a surprise to recruiters, Blakey, who could attract a top-10 bid, chose the Swans and informed the clubs of his decision in April.

However, there has not been as clear a frontrunner for Scott as his call draws nearer.

Scott has been a member of North Melbourne's father-son program for some time, where Robert played 113 games including the 1996 premiership.

Robert started his career at Geelong, playing 132 games for the club between 1986-94.

Bailey trained with the Cats and Roos during the off-season to get a feel for both clubs and has also come through the Suns Academy and worked closely with its coaching and conditioning staff in recent years.

Bailey doing his due diligence by meeting with all three clubs over the next week or two. We should have a decision pretty soon!

Father-son draft prospect to make call on future

Bailey doing his due diligence by meeting with all three clubs over the next week or two. We should have a decision pretty soon!

did not know this...

Scott has until closer to November's NAB AFL Draft to lodge his preferred home, but under the revised father-son and Academy bidding system which came in 2015, he will also be able to enter other preferences.

It means should a bid come on Scott from a rival club and his first preferred club does not want to match it, the next club on his preferences will be able to jump in and match the bid.

Surely this make it interesting for the Suns... how does that work if one of his 2nd or 3rd preferred clubs make the bid?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

did not know this...

Surely this make it interesting for the Suns... how does that work if one of his 2nd or 3rd preferred clubs make the bid?
I assume it would play out the same way as it would if any other club chose to bid on him. His number 1 preferred club would need to make the decision if they want to match the bid. If they don't, his second preference would then have the opportunity to match the bid and it would continue to his third preference if the second preference chooses not to match the bid either. Considering he would need to go through three rounds of potential bid matching before a separate club is able to secure him, I think the system will deter other clubs from bidding on him.

Now whether North/Geelong/Gold Coast choose to bid on him when they are not his first preference, that's a totally separate possibility altogether. Usually clubs are pretty respectful when a junior makes his preference clear but theoretically it means North and/or Brisbane can do the same thing with Blakey this year given the Swans' weak hand at the draft. Should be interesting to follow, especially considering live trading is an option at the draft this year!

I assume it would play out the same way as it would if any other club chose to bid on him. His number 1 preferred club would need to make the decision if they want to match the bid. If they don't, his second preference would then have the opportunity to match the bid and it would continue to his third preference if the second preference chooses not to match the bid either. Considering he would need to go through three rounds of potential bid matching before a separate club is able to secure him, I think the system will deter other clubs from bidding on him.

Now whether North/Geelong/Gold Coast choose to bid on him when they are not his first preference, that's a totally separate possibility altogether. Usually clubs are pretty respectful when a junior makes his preference clear but theoretically it means North and/or Brisbane can do the same thing with Blakey this year given the Swans' weak hand at the draft. Should be interesting to follow, especially considering live trading is an option at the draft this year!

The point is clubs who match get a discount ...
If Gold Coast were to bid when they are the 3rd choice.. ..They might be able to bid P20 ..and then we could match with other picks minus 197 points... yet if Ess or Rich bid on him with P20..and we declne, North decline then GC can match with laters pick with that discount.
It would encourage me if I was dealing with an other clubs to almost say to them .. ohh by the way do us a favour and bid on BScott with that pick will you... have no fear you will not have to take him.

Do we have A father/son academy or the like ? Given the amount of father/sons that will be available to us in the next 10+ years would be a good idea to get sons of ex players involved in the club at a very early age 14-16 allows the club to train kids up into the Geelong way of doing things prior to the players draft year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back