Training Pre-Season 2023 (First game 18/3 v North)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That sounds like long term issues.

Bone on bone?

Will need to manage it through future preseasons.

Andrew McLeod I recall also had similar issues with managing preseasons. Started doing a lot more bike work to get his aerobic fitness up instead of pounding the running track preseason.
JK and Pridda both had bone on bone for large parts of their career (I first heard them say about JK around 2012). They managed pretty well.

Paywalled so I haven’t read it, but I’m assuming the headline is a result of Simpson’s interview on SEN this morning with Goosage and Cummings

Imagine paywalling an article that’s based on an interview on another outlet and can be accessed for free, but I digress.

During the interview when asked about players in different roles like Yeo at half back last year, Simpson indicated they might continue with Yeo there since he was an AA half back and that they were exploring other roles for Shuey. He also elaborated by saying the draftees were multi talented and wouldn’t be pigeonholed into a specific role

Other things of note
• Simpson isn’t as fit as he’s ever been and has transitioned from skinny sloppy to just sloppy
• Really pleased on overall health but it won’t be smooth sailing with guys who missed a lot of footy
• Wouldn’t be drawn on players being stung by criticism but did say the players have a steely drive to get back to their best
• Hinted at numerous changes from side that played Geelong - as many as 13/14 different players for round 1
• Barrass got a knock on the wrist training with about 18 players during the break and will have a brace on for a month or so but should be right
• Allen will definitely play forward
• Still backed Shuey to retain captaincy
• Sounds committed and up for the challenge of rebuilding

Full interview here

Any news on whose dogs is looking the fittest and fastest to take out the Simpson cup this year?

Shuey could kick double the amount of goals that Fyfe does but they’ll still fawn over Fyfe and his clunks. It’s not being a bitter Eagles fans but rather the hard on media and fans have over these so called “striker” resting big bodied mids. Think Yeo would get a similar fan fare if he was told to go play forward

My concern is who’s gonna kick the goals that JK used to kick for us, because that’s a lot of goals.

Allen is no JK (yet) but in a way we were missing him last year so it's a replacing a FF for FF.

With a new, faster game plan it would be great to see our midfield filling in any goal shortfall as Yeo, Kelly, Shuey, Sheed are all capable goal-kicking mids.

(This is of course on top of the improvement over last year we'd love to see in our small forward dept)

I'm sure I'm not the only one who forgot, but this is how we lined up back then.

FB: Hurn Barrass Duggan
HB: Foley HEdwards Bazzo
C: SPS Kelly Redden
HF: Cripps Darling [redacted]
FF: Rotham Dixon Ryan
R: BWilliams Nelson Shuey
I: Langdon XON Jones Culley Clark*

I'd say at least 8 changes from that lot (Foley, SPS, Redden, [redacted], Rotham, Dixon, Nelson, Langdon).
Quite a few 50/50 calls too so not far off the mass changes.

Rotham clearly evolving into Mitch Brown 2.0
Redacted already our best player

My concern is who’s gonna kick the goals that JK used to kick for us, because that’s a lot of goals.
No worries, lock in redacted for 30-40 goals off the half forward line this year.

A very valid point. Presuming the load falls on Oscar? Unless we have an exciting new crumber? - Goldilocks, Ryan, Jones (half back?), Cripps. Shuey is a renowned goalsneak, allowing 'one of our many new midfielders' a chance around the guts..unless a swarming team attack thing is the plan...

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

37 goals isn't that much. Allen should be able to account for 30 or so if he stays fit. Even more if he gets on a roll.
You'd like to think that Ryan/Waterman/Darling/Cripps/Shuey/Hewett/Long can cover the other 7. That's one each.

Given the flexibility in our lineup it would be interesting to see if we experiment occasionally with Ryan out of the square. Not heaps but something to mix things up, give him a rest, give the other guys a rest, etc. I think relying on Allen to slide into JK's shoes is going to take a couple of seasons despite his mini breakout in 2021.

Last year we averaged less than 10 goals per game (9.64). To be competitive we need to get that up to somewhere around 12

For that to happen we need something like

5 from tall forwards (Allen/Darling/Resting ruck)
4 from small forwards (Cripps/Ryan/Waterman/Petch etc)
3 from mids

Last year
2.47 Kennedy
1.62 Darling

1.29 Cripps
1.12 Ryan
1.08 Rioli
1.00 Petruccelle
0.90 Waterman

Kelly was our best goal kicking mid with 6 goals from 17 games. The rest kicked 5 or fewer so individually were only kicking a goal every 4 or 5 games

Part of the problem was our inside 50’s - only 40.5 per game compared to 57.7 for Geelong. Our conversion of 0.237 goals per entry actually compares favourably with 0.249 Geelong

I think Allen and Darling are capable of putting up 4-5 goals between them and with more supply our smalls would get more opportunity

So it depends on our mids breaking even on territory and also hitting the scoreboard a little more regularly

Last year we averaged less than 10 goals per game (9.64). To be competitive we need to get that up to somewhere around 12

For that to happen we need something like

5 from tall forwards (Allen/Darling/Resting ruck)
4 from small forwards (Cripps/Ryan/Waterman/Petch etc)
3 from mids

Last year
2.47 Kennedy
1.62 Darling

1.29 Cripps
1.12 Ryan
1.08 Rioli
1.00 Petruccelle
0.90 Waterman

Kelly was our best goal kicking mid with 6 goals from 17 games. The rest kicked 5 or fewer so individually were only kicking a goal every 4 or 5 games

Part of the problem was our inside 50’s - only 40.5 per game compared to 57.7 for Geelong. Our conversion of 0.237 goals per entry actually compares favourably with 0.249 Geelong

I think Allen and Darling are capable of putting up 4-5 goals between them and with more supply our smalls would get more opportunity

So it depends on our mids breaking even on territory and also hitting the scoreboard a little more regularly

Absolutely agreed on our mids/I50s

I'd also like to see Ryan played out of the square as our deepest forward occasionally. This obviously only will work if we're getting the supply upfield and he's such a good link man as well so robbing Peter etc.

Just reckon in the perfect side in the perfect form that's the role he was born to play - he's got the scope of tools to beat anyone he goes one on one with besides maybe prime Jeremy Howe.

Would require a smaller forward line outside JD and Oscar and a set of other firing small forwards so it's a pipe dream but it's the role he kicked 70 goals in the WAFL in and as a professional I could see in the perfect storm him doing the same as an AFL player

Absolutely agreed on our mids/I50s

I'd also like to see Ryan played out of the square as our deepest forward occasionally. This obviously only will work if we're getting the supply upfield and he's such a good link man as well so robbing Peter etc.

Just reckon in the perfect side in the perfect form that's the role he was born to play - he's got the scope of tools to beat anyone he goes one on one with besides maybe prime Jeremy Howe.

Would require a smaller forward line outside JD and Oscar and a set of other firing small forwards so it's a pipe dream but it's the role he kicked 70 goals in the WAFL in and as a professional I could see in the perfect storm him doing the same as an AFL player
It's been a big part of the problem with playing 2 genuine rucks (whilst maybe not great for players it was better for team balance when we had a fwd play as 2nd ruck rather than a dedicated 2nd ruck in the team).

Ryan gets crowded out of his probably best position. It's not viable for him to play there 100% of the time, but certainly in bursts we should try to engineer it. With decent supply he will be an almost impossible match up.

On SM-G986B using BigFooty.com mobile app

It's been a big part of the problem with playing 2 genuine rucks (whilst maybe not great for players it was better for team balance when we had a fwd play as 2nd ruck rather than a dedicated 2nd ruck in the team).

Ryan gets crowded out of his probably best position. It's not viable for him to play there 100% of the time, but certainly in bursts we should try to engineer it. With decent supply he will be an almost impossible match up.

On SM-G986B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah it's tricky.

With Oscar, JD and say Williams it's already getting to the stage where one of them has to take over that role

I like Waterman also, but his role also crowds that a little.

It's why I'm weirdly excited about Jamieson as a potential chopout key back while he's 2nd rucking. Would like us to get a little innovative in that area to best suit our side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back