Training Pre-Season 2023 (First game 18/3 v North)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apologies to intrude on your page guys. I am very interested to hear how Ginbey, Hewett, Allen & Chesser are going?
These boys are the future of your club & I am very bullish on them taking you's to finals in a couple of years.
Ginbey - very good trainer, super athletic and fit. Has a massive frame and will be a monster once he adds more muscle and fills out. The football side of things we haven’t seen too much of yet as the draftees have been doing a lot of training separate from the main group. Since returning from the Christmas break they are doing most drills now but it’s hard to get a clear picture of how they’re going as most training sessions are closed to the public now

Hewett - has really good skills and pretty much already has an AFL-ready body. I would say he’d be the closest of our draftees to make a round 1 debut, although it’s early days. Fitness and training standards have been okay so far. As I said before it’s a little harder to tell how these guys are going with the more football-related side of things, but Hewett looks the closest to being AFL-ready to me.

Allen - almost back into full training now - he’s not hampered by his foot injury anymore but sits out the occasional drill as the club is being cautious with overloading him. Is a really good size and recorded a PB in his 2km time trial in December, so he’s building really nicely for round 1.

Chesser - still not back into full training though from what I’ve seen he doesn’t look like he’s still affected by the ankle issue. Some media interest being generated over him not training fully by now but I’m not overly concerned if the club is taking a conservative approach with him. Has hardly played any footy in the past three years through Covid and injury so I’d be very surprised if he slots straight in for round 1. Reckon he will be eased in first via the WAFL.

Cole concern​

Tom Cole’s preparations for a return this season may have taken a hit, with the premiership defender leaving the track after appearing to injure his troublesome right leg.

Cole did not play at all last season after injuring his right ankle in a training drill in February, which required surgery.

The 25-year-old left the track early on Monday morning without his right boot on after receiving treatment. While he did not look in any discomfort, he didn’t return.

Cole had been among the stand-outs on the track to that point, leading in the running drills alongside teammates before spending time with trainers during a break.

Midfielder Xavier O’Neill also copped a knock to his right knee during a tackling drill before continuing to train.

Half-back Jamaine Jones got some treatment on the field but didn’t look in any discomfort as he completed the entire session.

Vice-captain Jeremy McGovern, draftee Elijah Hewett and young bull Jai Culley were the only noticeable absentees from the session.

Good signs​

Several key Eagles stepped up their workload as the pre-season heats up.

Prized draftee Campbell Chesser upped his running load and participated in light skills drills as he shows improvement from an ankle injury that cost him his entire debut campaign in 2022.

Captain Luke Shuey and his predecessor Shannon Hurn also did some skill work after completing their own running as they eased towards round one.

Next Generation Academy product Tyrell Dewar ran at training for the first time since joining the club, having carried a right leg injury into his maiden pre-season at the club.

Forward Jake Waterman had extra strapping on his troublesome right knee, but also upped his workload so it is likely precautionary as he regains fitness from post-season surgery.

Stars stand out​

Premiership heroes Dom Sheed and Elliot Yeo look set for a big season after forgettable campaigns last year.

Sheed battled syndesmosis for much of last year, restricting him to one game, while Yeo has been battling soft tissue injuries for the past two seasons.

The duo were the clear leaders in several drills on Monday, with their skills standing out from the pack.

Yeo hit several teammates with bullet-like passes on both his right and left boots, while he showed his teammates the way with his tackling intensity.

Sheed was easily covering the ground and used his excellent vision to set up plays as the Eagles were put through intense drills that covered most of the ground.

Ruck ‘n’ roll​

West Coast’s big men in the middle were getting some ruckwork lessons under the watchful eye of Nic Naitanui.

Bailey Williams, Callum Jamieson and forward Jack Williams all worked on their tap craft with Naitanui in the middle of the ground, with Shuey feeding off their work at ground level.

Naitanui was not overly exerting himself with his leap, but after knee troubles last year and post-season surgery, he is likely to not be at full capacity until closer to the season.

No mention of Cole in this article

Chesser acknowledged as stepping up his training load

Yeo and Sheed also mentioned. Plus Gaff

Long impressing

Gaff actually looks toned down. He probably missed all the fat calls but over the laws few years he look like he was carrying a few extra kegs on himView attachment 1587625
Hope that's the case. Shedding a few extra kilos could do wonders for him given how running-focused his playing style is.

At times in the last couple of years it looked like he was running through quicksand - let's hope he's a bit lighter on his feet now and can get back to his best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hope that's the case. Shedding a few extra kilos could do wonders for him given how running-focused his playing style is.

At times in the last couple of years it looked like he was running through quicksand - let's hope he's a bit lighter on his feet now and can get back to his best.
I think last year was the worst. He’s carried extra but he also plays through niggles/injuries. He’s 30 now so it’s not as easy for him to play through them like he did a few years ago. Trimming up and being a full time outside player is what we need from him and something that will prolong his career

We Got Him GIF

44490349-239A-4365-939B-5C2A66B701CC.jpeg

Speaks volumes of J Williams improvement if he can outmark McGovern in marking conests or maybe McGovern on the slide and needs to go forward....
Sounds like J Williams is on the improvement , always shown potential .

Still wait and see ...
J Williams was one of the youngest in his draft year . This is his 2nd AFL pre season and just turned 19 .

He showed some very good signs last season in the wafl for a 18 year old in a team with very limited forward opportunities

Fingers crossed our wafl team will be much more competitive this season

I think this is way off the mark. Hobbs went at pick 13. There’s no way bombers would get that now for him after what he’s produced so far. Just like if we had drafted him, we wouldn’t be getting a first round pick back for him if he’d requested a trade home which was all the talk at the time of the draft (Hobbs wanting to stay in Vic)

I swear people have some damn short memories and are WAY too short sighted. It’s basically been 12 months since we drafted Chesser. All these negative people need to take a step back and give him some time. Eagles recruiting for the most part over the years is a lot better than they get credit for
What if we rated him poorly at draft time? The continual durability problems are now a massive concern but the fact he's basically Petruccelle as well doesnt help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back